Photos ökofen pellet boiler: installation and storage

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
thierry63
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by thierry63 » 02/02/10, 13:58

what a great mine of information !!!! you really do a remarkable job, I'm at the stage of choosing which pellet boiler I'm going to install, this forum is really great.
Thank you for your photos; we ask a lot of questions especially for the silo and to see them over the construction is very informative! we may mention burying it under the terrace in front of the house, facing the fuel tank; Does anyone have this experience?
I will keep you informed of our choice of brand; the various commercials will come soon on the spot.
Thanks again.
Thierry
0 x
Thierry
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 02/02/10, 14:13

I also had this idea of ​​making a silo buried. in my case, it was inside the house.
finally I gave up because of the high risk of humidity. so if you're looking outside, you have to be careful.
that is done. it exits special tanks granules to bury. I do not know how they handle condensation problems.
I finally played safety and simplicity by building an apenti to 3 walls along the house; raised floor of 10cms compared to the ground to be quiet.
0 x
Click my signature
Did67

by Did67 » 02/02/10, 16:28

dirk pitt wrote:
that is done. it exits special tanks granules to bury. I do not know how they handle condensation problems ..

I did not read any problems.

I think underground, the temperature is pretty much constant. And the pellets are so dry that the relative humidity in the closed silo is very low (the air humidity that comes in to replace the volume of pellets must be absorbed quickly by the pellets). I think that suddenly, it does not reach the dew point.
0 x
manu 38
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Can I have PERs in a pellet silo?

by manu 38 » 30/08/12, 08:46

Hello,

First of all thank you for your site that I consult regularly for a few months already to help me in the construction - among others - a pellet silo (Thanks to Did67 for his photos that helped me a lot. )

Now I need to know if it is possible to put PERs inside the silo to feed a sink? Is there a risk of condensation for example?

Thank you for your help, see you soon.
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 30/08/12, 09:36

I advise you to put your PER inside a PVC diameter 50 or more. in this way, they will be completely isolated from the silo for condensation as well as for the risk of leakage.
if you are 38 as your pseudo suggests, we can see each other, I'm on Voiron
0 x

Click my signature
Did67

by Did67 » 30/08/12, 11:02

1) A priori, I am ready to bet that this would not condense. In good "physical" logic, there is condensation when a cold body bathes in air whose RH is high enough to pass above the dew point.

Ex: stormy weather; High RH, close to saturation; we take out the bottle of very cold water for the pastis, it drips ... But in "normal weather", with an air more humid than that of your silo, it does not drip ...

In your airtight silo, the air will be "very dry" (in equilibrium with the pellets which are at 8% humidity by mass; I don't know the RH that this represents, but it will be "very dry" air) .

2) That said, tinkering is a lot, a lot of caution and "safety coefficients". So I would do indeed as Dirk says, a tube, slight slope on one side and basta. You take out your pastis and you sleep peacefully !!! Note that the much more humid air in the cellar will circulate in this tube. There, there will probably be some condensation [do not deduce too quickly that I was wrong in 1)]. Every summer, when I leave my garage wide open, my copper pipes of cold water drip in stormy weather ...
0 x
manet42
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by manet42 » 30/08/12, 13:35

In my self-built silo (pictures following Did's), I had two central heating pipes in one corner ... Not good.
I insulated, and coated, in addition, with a PVC pipe sloping outward (in case of leakage). Caution sup. I made a wooden box all around. Two precautions are better than one.
Good work.

JC
0 x
Continually trying we finally succeed. So more it fails, the more likely it is that it works.
manu 38
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Maintenance contract for pellet boiler?

by manu 38 » 30/08/12, 20:07

Hi,

Thank you to everyone for the speed with which you answered me!
Suddenly, I will opt for the PVC solution diameter 80 with slope outside the silo.

Another question: for those who have opted for a pellet boiler, have you subscribed to the maintenance contract that did not fail to propose to you your heating engineer? And if so, how much did he ask you?
Mine offers me an annual maintenance contract for 120 €, and I wonder if it's in the market prices.

PS to the attention of Dirk Pitt: I am indeed in the Isère, 20 km south of Vienna ....
0 x
manet42
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by manet42 » 31/08/12, 10:01

I think the price is honest.
I do it alone, it takes about 2h / 3h with vacuum cleaner workshop being meticulous. My heating engineer had explained me well.
It seems to me that Okofen advocated a technical visit every 5 years.
Here is the manual:
https://www.econologie.info/share/partag ... MLMXBP.pdf

Of course, I do not do some controls (co2, ventilation ...)

Good choice.

JC
0 x
Continually trying we finally succeed. So more it fails, the more likely it is that it works.
Did67

by Did67 » 31/08/12, 17:14

I have a contract because I have the condensing model (old, stainless steel). It requires very "boring" cleaning (small stainless steel tubes with a turbulator inside).

I pay 260 euros.
0 x