Miscanthus in Alsace, some references

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Did67

Miscanthus in Alsace, some references

by Did67 » 04/05/09, 18:43

Some results of experiments conducted in the Rhine plain with Miscanthus.

With me, it does not work, so maybe like this:

https://www.econologie.info/share/partag ... IBT17C.PDF
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/05/09, 18:49

If it works except that ... it's upside down.

To include an image directly, it must be in .gif or .jpg. If you want I will do it?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/05/09, 18:51

Okay, I'll get there: the same, in a good way!

https://www.econologie.info/share/partag ... EPHjkY.PDF

Christophe: help !!!!! If you think it might interest, yes, make it readable !!! I feel that the computer has still decided to make me have a fit!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/05/09, 19:13

Uh the 2nd has always returned home ... ??

I take care of it! Here is :

ps: DL I think I know the reporter :) It would not be the same as who wrote this https://www.econologie.com/forums/viticultur ... t7396.html
?
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 14/05/09, 19:28

In addition to the reservations carefully expressed in the article, there are ambiguities:

- there would be no need for inputs for this crop, "except on poor soils" the first year.

- similarly, the water requirement is low compared to other crops, but "in the Neckar valley, in a wetland" it works better!

- and as "yields therefore greatly condition profitability", there is therefore more than a possibility of drifting towards the use of land with good potential with consequent inputs of fertilizers.

Everything will therefore depend, ultimately on the subsidies which will or will not support a fashion devoid of long-term logical foundation.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Ibis.
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Ibis. » 14/05/09, 20:42

In Switzerland, Miscanthus is cultivated, with financial support from the State. The implantation is quite expensive because the feet are multiplied by burst of existing tufts, possibly in vitro.
The establishment is easy, but requires a fight against the weeds at the beginning, then the culture is very covering and nothing else grows. The fiber is used (harvest in February) to make fibers and plant mulches ("Jiffy" types in peat)

Attention, for the destruction, it's not cotton ....

Beautiful plant also for making impenetrable hedges and a little exotic (unlike reeds, Miscantus are not tracing, and remain well in clump.

Attention, Beaumeaux markets seeds of Miscanthus, it's nice and inexpensive, but the plants grown from these seedlings are fertile and therefore reseed themselves. I tried before destroying everything, the seedlings being (very) numerous and invasive.

The form sold by cuttings is sterile in our climates, so no problem on this side.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 14/05/09, 22:01

To follow up on Ibis's comments concerning the invasive nature of this plant, it is important not to speak of "miscanthus" in general, but to specify which variety it is.
M. gigantheus is a sterile hybrid in France, which is not the case for other M.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Ibis.
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Ibis. » 15/05/09, 15:44

Ahmed wrote:To follow up on Ibis's comments concerning the invasive nature of this plant, it is important not to speak of "miscanthus" in general, but to specify which variety it is.
M. gigantheus is a sterile hybrid in France, which is not the case for other M.

It is perfectly correct. Miscanthus giganteus is only multiplied by seed burst or by in vitro multiplication, never by seed. Sterility is a great advantage.
0 x