How to connect a wind car alternator

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 01/08/09, 12:12

You can provide a load resistor connected to the alternator to brake the propeller in high winds, even if you do not use your energy.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 01/08/09, 12:26

Yes but there it is Chinese for me, because I do not know at all how I could connect that not being at all technician or electrician (did you notice? : Cheesy: ) I need explanations because it is not obvious to me. Now it's spinning full throttle now, but always with the propeller disengaged, I will see on my other generator if I can change the magnets or see a solution to remove any effort and have total flexibility in turning the generator, because when I turn it on see it turn mega top and I have to get it all the time in light winds.

I thought I saw somewhere that by measuring the generator in short circuit, we blocked it (I tested, it's true) and therefore we stop the propeller. Practice that in high winds, right? but it does not risk to screw the generator in the air? Because if this is the case I can capture any overvoltage with a relay system, the relay will stick to a voltage that I would define and put the generator in DC in order to protect the wind turbine by strong wind. what will brake. Good or bad idea ?

I will then have to manufacture the charge regulator.
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 01/08/09, 15:52

Darwenn

You are not unemployed!

The problem is the torque is too strong given the ratio of your 2 pulleys, either you decrease the diameter of the driving pulley (propeller) or you increase the diameter of the generator pulley to obtain a lower torque and not to brake your assembly.

You must obtain a torque that will be balanced between blade speed and production, multiple "V" pulleys are sold which will give you more flexibility to obtain the right ratio.

The regulator is very secondary, you must balance the whole before all.
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 01/08/09, 15:55

Okay, I'll try to change the pulley ratio then, because here I go crazy : Cheesy:
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 01/08/09, 15:59

Darwenn

It is easier to start with a lower ratio and measure the voltage and calculate the shortfall to get the desired voltage.
:D
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 01/08/09, 17:12

Hey be Alain, you're a scientist, I put a 4cm wide pulley on the generator, and again a miracle, it works, it turns. I had to redo a strap but good. But there is a problem, there it blows well, 20 or 30kmh, I only have 2 empty volts at best when the propeller is well launched and turns quickly, there I am stuck. I can not do anything more, with the small pulley I reached 7 volts empty with my old propeller by a sustained wind, but hey it was not the foot either anyway. So my only solution would be, and I'm asking your opinion, would be to rewind the generator rotor right? I only see that in my case. What do you think ?. In any case, no I am not giving up, I want it to work !! : Cheesy:
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 01/08/09, 17:33

Darwenn you should try a spring tensioner, a wheel that presses on the outer belt.

Is your wind turbine shaft mounted on ball bearings?
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 01/08/09, 17:42

Hi Alain, I don't see what you mean when talking about a spring tensioner, what would be its role, always tightening the belt well?, A kind of roller what is that ?.

My pivoting axis is not on ball bearing, but it is free, the two edges are clean and well greased, it is easily oriented. It would probably be better with ball bearings but for the moment it seems to do the trick, at least for the orientation, it moves well.

My hit multiplier now drops to 7 (28/4)
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 01/08/09, 17:49

Yes Darwenn a pressure roller, it aims to reduce the friction belt / pulleys while ensuring a constant pressure.

0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 01/08/09, 17:59

Ok, I can add that to improve, but I don't think it will give me 13 volts more. Do you think I should rewind the rotor?
0 x