Study feasibility of wind turbine 2kW home?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Kenny-k
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Kenny-k » 21/12/15, 17:25

Since the LED is on and the reverse protection is working, can I voluntarily reverse my connection without damage to the controller?
So I could see what the "reverse" light is saying.
It seems obvious but what do you think of all that pros?
0 x
Kenny-k
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Kenny-k » 27/12/15, 11:33

Hello everybody

My wind turbine is now functional from 24H:
-Despite a fairly weak wind yesterday (about 10km / h), the generator did not stop.
-The noise is really imperceptible, only problem, the mast vibrates a little when the generator is oriented on one of the sides (shrouds to settle I hope)
-No problem of acceleration and deceleration untimely observed for the moment

What I observed:
-Starting the wind turbine to 17H yesterday: voltage on 101.2V batteries
-On midnight: voltage on 106.6V batteries
-Control this morning 10H: voltage on 103.2V batteries
-Control on 2,3,6 and 7 batteries: voltage of 12.9V
-The inverter was tested with an 1800W vacuum cleaner, I left it about 5 min, no particular problem observed.
-the charge controller always indicates "reverse polarity" but as indicated previously, the supplier Pierre indicated to me that some customers had pointed out to him an assembly problem with the "reverse polarity" diode
-The voltmeter of the charge controller is always 96-98V, the ammeter remains at zero (I think it is only used for the solar part (hybrid solar / wind controller) but without certainty)
-When the controller is stopped (fuse between battery 4 and 5) is removed and the generator has been blocked by the safety box, the "low voltage" controller indicator light comes on while the voltmeter drops to zero then everything goes off off.

My first question would be why did I lose 3.4V in the night?
I thought that blocking the wind turbine for the night used a current proportionally inverse to what the generator would have produced if I had left it running but the battery circuit being cut I do not understand how.

What do you think?
0 x
Kenny-k
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Kenny-k » 27/12/15, 11:40

Note that after a restart of 5 min this morning, the voltage returned to its breakpoint last night, 106.4V.
0 x
gust
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by gust » 29/12/15, 11:21

for the voltage that drops after stopping the generator is normal, the 106V is the charging voltage of the wind turbine, not batteries.
the actual voltage of the batteries is therefore the one after stopping the source and about 1 rest time (24h for more precision)

the ammeter remains at zero, normal, it indicates the actual solar production as a wind, the fact that the wind turbine turns induces a voltage but not necessarily a production of Ah

the distortion between your reading to the voltmeter more than 100V and that of the controller, less than 98V is not normal, the badly mounted diode is perhaps the cause :?:
0 x
Kenny-k
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Kenny-k » 29/12/15, 12:26

Hi Rafale,

Thanks for your return.
After 24H, I could see a fairly weak wind (10-18km / h) that the voltage on the batteries had changed from 100.4 V to 107.1V
In interphase I reached the highest 85V and average 75V
These statements seem to me encouraging.

By cons when I turned on the UPS last night by connecting about 200W (fridge + freezer),:
-the voltage went down immediately to 105.1V
-then quickly (after 1 hour) it went to 100.1V and the "low voltage" light came on
-the voltage then stabilized at 100.2V for 2 hours and the "low" indicator lighted intermittently.
-the battery voltage being 12.5V I preferred stopped the inverter.
the voltage is then ironed quickly to 13,2V by battery (105V on the whole)
this morning after 1H shutdown of the generator, I am at 104.7V.

What to think of these surveys?
0 x
gust
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by gust » 29/12/15, 13:30

is the "low voltage" that of the hybrid controller?
if this is the case, there is a problem, with 8 12v batteries we get the famous "low voltage" towards 88v (8x11V)

to 12.5v, UPS plugged, your batteries are 90% load
0 x
Kenny-k
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Kenny-k » 29/12/15, 13:52

Yes it is the LED of the controller that turns on.
Are you sure that at 12.5V the battery is charged at 90%?
I read here and that the voltage at 100% had to be 12.73V for 12V batteries but I also found many sites that indicated 13.9V at 14.4V voltage for 100% charged gel batteries

I am waiting for the supplier's return on this subject because I do not have any instructions with my batteries.
I specify that they are new and in 150Ah

Otherwise the voltage is always at 104.7V after 3H shutdown.

I am looking for a battery manager of this type but for a beach above 70V, it costs an arm ...

You have an idea?
https://solaireshop.fr/controleurs-de-batterie-serie-bmv-602s-9-90-vdc-avec-shunt-500a-victron-energy.html?fee=12&fep=1585&utm_source=LeGuid&utm_medium=LeGuid&utm_campaign=LeGuid&utm_term=LeGuid&utm_content=LeGuid
0 x
gust
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by gust » 29/12/15, 14:56

for the 90% it is on average depends on the batteries ...
13.8v (floating voltage) is the charging voltage up to 80% at maximum amperage, then a few hours depending on the batteries at about 14,5V (absorption voltage) to arrive to charge at 100% at reduced amperage.

in short it is the voltages for chargers on 220v that have nothing to do with the load by a wind turbine, which can not deliver a constant current and load intermittently.

an 12v battery without a charge source can not exceed 12,8V
0 x
Kenny-k
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Kenny-k » 29/12/15, 15:22

Okay but in this case why are the batteries at 13V after 4H wind turbine shutdown?

Since the voltage on the batteries rises when the wind turbine is running, can I conclude that the charge controller is working well despite the "reverse polarity" diode on?

If not, would you reverse the battery wiring for further testing?

From what voltage (taken at the terminals of the batteries while the wind turbine is charging) would it be better to stop the wind turbine?
(I went up to 108.2V yesterday)
0 x
gust
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by gust » 29/12/15, 16:03

after stopping the charge, the battery gradually drops back to its real voltage, 24h to be closer, you can accelerate this rebalancing simply by turning on your inverter without connecting anything to not distort the measurement.

no certainty for the regulator, it puts the wind turbine and the batteries in good relationship (the voltage rises) but must not be able to correctly regulate them, having a wrong reading of the voltages of this one. to check

do not reverse the wiring you can grill it, the diode is not in the right direction, you could grill it, I will disassemble mine to see how it works.

your batteries should be full to 115V
0 x