Thermal Energy Seas, an energy of unknown future!

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
rescwood
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by rescwood » 24/02/08, 11:34

If performance = Welectric / Wexploited, the ETM will probably never be able to match the thermodynamic solar. The questions I ask myself are:
What is the most economically exploitable resource in terms of investment and available deposit?
How are we going to be able to meet our energy needs without using fossil fuels?
Which strategy: diffuse production (a little, a little everywhere) or mass production (a lot in a centralized way, like today)?
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 24/02/08, 18:27

These are very good questions. I think that the solution requires a mix of mainly solar renewable energies, and also a mix of centralized and decentralized.

There is really something to do and we could have started before ...
0 x
rescwood
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by rescwood » 26/02/08, 10:55

What appeals to me in ETM are the exploitable quantities and the fact that it can operate continuously, unlike thermodynamic solar. We can get rid of weather conditions, thanks to the immense thermal buffer that the oceans of the equatorial zone constitute.
In view of these considerations, the ETM would be a production solution on an industrial scale really taking the road among all the technologies based on renewable energies available today.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 26/02/08, 11:58

These are the strong points of the ETM, the weak point is the deltaT which considerably restricts the thermomechanical conversion. It's to dig!
0 x
rescwood
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by rescwood » 26/02/08, 12:55

From an economic point of view, it is profitable, obviously with a better conversion rate it would be even more so. From a needs coverage point of view, even with a low conversion rate, the production potential is gigantic. In my opinion, this is less a weakness than a path to improvement.
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 26/02/08, 13:58

Christophe wrote: pkoi focus on this damn hydrogen given the disadvantages it generates?

Because the right tanks are coming! http://neel.cnrs.fr/spip.php?article1280

The first reservoir based on nanostructured magnesium hydride has just been developed. The hydriding of magnesium is very strongly exothermic, which poses difficulties linked to the management of thermal fluxes. Indeed, the introduction of hydrogen causes a sudden rise in temperature. The equilibrium conditions are immediately reached, stopping the hydrogen absorption reaction. The realization of an adapted heat exchanger made it possible to divide by 4 the loading time. This first tank can absorb 170 liters of hydrogen, with a volume density comparable to liquid hydrogen.
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 10/04/09, 12:53

0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/04/09, 13:04

Good news!

I can not wait to see the real prototype in operation for the moment, apparently, it is at the stage of feasibility studies ...
0 x
beafiliberti
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by beafiliberti » 20/03/10, 20:09

Hi, do I take this opportunity to resume the discussion of energies and to ask them what do you know about the pollutant that is an electric bike? There is a discussion at my place on whether a moped or bicycle: and do I believe that electric bikes are better in this sense right? greetings!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/08/10, 11:40

Yesterday evening on Arte at 22 p.m .: http://www.arte.tv/fr/semaine/244,broad ... =2010.html

How to use the seas and oceans to produce energy?

Friday, August 13, 2010 at 22:00 PM

repeats:
14.08.2010 to 11: 00
The energy of the sea
(Ireland, Japan, United States, 2006, 52 mins)
ZDF
Director: Carl-A. Fechner, Johannes Bünger

The energy of waves can be used as well as that of currents or tides (tidal energy). There is also tidal energy (or thermal energy of the seas) which is obtained by exploiting the temperature difference between surface water and deep ocean water. The Japanese have been working on this technology for a long time. Thus, Professor Ikegami's ambitious project on the island of Kyushu would make it possible to supply electricity, drinking water and hydrogen at the same time. German researcher Hans Krock is developing an equivalent system in Hawaii. Finally, in Europe, the United Kingdom is at the forefront in several research fields thanks to its large coastal area, as shown by Angela Robotham who works on tidal turbines, that is to say underwater turbines.

The report will surely be available on ytube or daily soon ...

Researchers from OTEC Hawaii have explained a lot, here is a little history of Otec: http://hawaii.gov/dbedt/info/energy/renewable/otec hey yes it started in 1975 ... you guess the rest ... (not profitable enough my son ...) ...

The official site: http://www.otecnews.org/

But reassure us, in France too we are doing tests: https://www.econologie.com/etm-a-la-reun ... -4076.html
0 x