Biomass: green electricity

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
gandalf le white
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Biomass: green electricity

by gandalf le white » 24/07/04, 13:38

Hello I am in prepa BCPST, and I have to do a project on sustainable development.
I would have liked to know if anyone knew how to start making the so-called green electricity, that is to say that made for example from the destruction of sugar cane, ie BAGASSE.
I would also like to know: can we say that the biomass energy source really constitutes so-called clean energy?
I explain when you grow sugar cane, I take this example because being in Australia it is easier ^ for my research, the farmer uses chemical fertilizers which after spreads in the sea and spoils in Queensland the great barrier reef, moreover for the harvests they use trucks which use gasoline and produce greenhouse gases.
So okay for the atmosphere this is a zero sum game but is it really a zero sum game for the environment?

Thank you for your future response.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/07/04, 22:04

You are entirely right to ask yourself these questions!
In "econology" we must see each solution globally.

In this case in your case, as it is a waste product already used that was not valued and it is a biological origin yes we can speak of clean electricity.

You know without this energy recovery, fertilizers would also be used by farmers.
0 x
Misterloxo
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Misterloxo » 27/07/04, 20:39

I did not know bagasse but apparently it is already used to produce electricity in guadeloupe (bagasse-coal power station):

The Bagasse-coal power station of Le Moule in Guadeloupe has a
power of 64 MW. It produces 400 GWh per year, a quarter of which
comes from the single bagasse, more than 30% of the
consumption of Guadeloupe.

according to this pdf (source EDF)

and then we also find that here :

What is the principle behind “bagasse-coal” power stations?
Answer: Sugar manufacturers, producers of cane sugar, need to get rid of sugar cane residues (“bagasse”) in the most economical way possible and without negative impact on the environment. They also have significant steam requirements to operate their facilities. To produce this steam, they burned bagasse, a woody residue from the crushing of sugar cane whose calorific value per tonne is equivalent to 260 kg of coal or 180 kg of fuel oil or 210 m3 of natural gas or 550 kg of wood. Bagasse is only produced during the few months of the sugar campaign. The engineering of Charbonnages de France has developed bi-fuel and bi-energy plants that burn bagasse and, between two sugar campaigns, coal. They produce steam for sugar manufacturers and electricity which feeds the networks and makes it possible to meet the demand of the Overseas Departments in particular. Several bagasse-coal power stations have been built by SIDEC near sugar units which supply bagasse and use steam and part of the electricity produced: Bois-Rouge and Le Gol on Reunion Island, Le Moule in Guadeloupe and Bellevue in Mauritius.

see this interesting link on India: http: //www.solutionsauxchangementsclimatiq.../assoc/wade.htm

So I think you will find info on the net
0 x
Learning disobedience is a long process. It takes a lifetime to reach perfection. "Maurice Rajsfus
To think is to say no. "Alain, philosopher
LMSV
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by LMSV » 28/07/04, 16:20

gandalf le white wrote:Hello I am in prepa BCPST, and I have to do a project on sustainable development.
I would have liked to know if anyone knew how to start making the so-called green electricity, that is to say that made for example from the destruction of sugar cane, ie BAGASSE.
I would also like to know: can we say that the biomass energy source really constitutes so-called clean energy?
I explain when you grow sugar cane, I take this example because being in Australia it is easier ^ for my research, the farmer uses chemical fertilizers which after spreads in the sea and spoils in Queensland the great barrier reef, moreover for the harvests they use trucks which use gasoline and produce greenhouse gases.
So okay for the atmosphere this is a zero sum game but is it really a zero sum game for the environment?

Thank you for your future response.

Here is a site that may be able to help you in your research especially if you are in Australia

LMSV

http://www.intecon.com.au/pdf/Eucalypt%20b...ass%20fuels.PDF
0 x