The 1st island 100% renewable energy

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

The 1st island 100% renewable energy

by Targol » 21/03/07, 10:40

MADRID (AFP) - A small island in the Canary archipelago, El Hierro, will become the first island in the world to be powered 100% by renewable energy, the Spanish government said on Tuesday.
The Ministry of Industry has announced that El Hierro, a 278 km2 volcanic island populated by 10.500 inhabitants, will be supplied entirely with electricity by a combination of wind turbines and hydroelectricity.

"El Hierro will be the first island in the world powered 100% by renewable energies," he said in a statement.

The system put in place will include a hydroelectric plant powered by two reservoirs, a wind farm and a pumping system.

"Most of the energy injected into the distribution network will come from the hydroelectric power station," with a capacity of 10 MW, the statement said.

"The majority of the energy produced by the wind turbines will be used to power the pumping system" to store water in one of the two reservoirs, "in the form of potential energy," he adds.

The excess wind energy will be used to supply two seawater desalination plants.

A conventional, pre-existing diesel-powered plant will be maintained for emergencies in the event of lack of water and wind.

"With this system, we are able to transform an intermittent source of energy into a controlled and constant supply of electricity," said the ministry.

The system will represent an investment of 54,3 million euros, spread out until 2009, and will avoid the emission of the 18.700 tonnes of CO2 per year currently released by the local thermal power plant.

Spain is one of the European leaders in wind energy. It recorded its wind power production record on Monday: the strong winds that blew across the country enabled the mills to supply 27% of the country's electrical demand.

source: Yahoo news

Like what, contrary to what their critics say, it is possible to smooth the production of renewable energies and adapt it to demand !!!
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 21/03/07, 11:34

well, you have to see the geography of the place: it would be more difficult to do in the plain of Flandres, Picardy, Nord pas de Calais, because you have to create an artificial lake or exploit a natural lake and have a good drop.
in Belgium, we have 2 or 3 such storage power plants that store surplus nuclear electric energy at night to restore it in hydroelectric during the day. (Coo, Plate size, at Lux's GD: Vianden)

what is really interesting are the figures:

available power: 10 KW per inhabitant, since we do not have to heat too much there, it's good and big fans of hot showers can always have a solar water heater installed

investment: ridiculous in this case: 5400 euros / inhabitant, financed over 20 years, it's really low!

that said, let's repeat it, it's not possible everywhere!

As I've already said:

renewable energies,
savings: isolation, organization,
adopt new vehicles

we will end up quickly at -30% overall!

mentalities are changing: in Couvin (Belgium) the inhabitants are shareholders of the large local wind turbine

I think that a lot of economic players will understand where their interest is, not to mention that there are a lot of jobs for local economies.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 22/03/07, 10:16

Source: Yahoo news
Like what, contrary to what their critics say, it is possible to smooth the production of renewable energies and adapt it to demand !!!

I missed this one despite being a very satisfied user of "Yahoo mail". I rarely go through the "News" page.

SUPER: They prove that it can work for countries where there is a lot of sun, for example in Africa !!!.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 22/03/07, 10:38

jean63 wrote:SUPER: They prove that it can work for countries where there is a lot of sun, for example in Africa !!!.

With the difference that to "smooth" production, they go through hydropower (wind turbines used to fill retention basins during overproduction).
It therefore requires wind (for wind turbines) or sun (if PV) but also water.
Note that the water in question can be salted which means that this system can be installed on all coasts.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Polo
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Polo » 22/03/07, 15:32

Hello everybody,
It's been a while since I came, due to lack of time. But there, the desire is too great to return among you.

It at least proves that we are evolving! This example contradicts a lot of rumors. I am reading the book "80 men to save the planet". All of these things make me optimistic about the future.
0 x
"I fear nothing, I hope for nothing, I am free" Nikos kazansakis