1 000 wood boiler tomorrow?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Christophe

1 000 wood boiler tomorrow?

by Christophe » 20/11/06, 16:39

With the rise in fossil fuels, notably oil and gas, wood is making a comeback as a fuel for producing heat. Communities are becoming more and more interested in it and forest communities are obviously particularly well placed to adopt wood-fired boilers. For these reasons, through the national federation of forest municipalities (FNCofor), they have just committed to commissioning a thousand wood-fired boilers in rural areas.
With the development of the use of wood as a source of energy, these municipalities intend to participate in the fight against climate change (the CO2 balance of combustible wood being close to zero, especially in the case of local use), the opening of new outlets for forest owners and the maintenance or strengthening of rural economic activity.
Depending on local needs, the installed capacity of boiler rooms ranges from 0,1 to 2 MW, for a cumulative production which should reach 500 Megawatts and avoid the rejection of 450 tonnes of CO000 / year. From a consumption point of view, some 2 tonnes of wood will be used each year.
Depending on requirements, these 1 boiler rooms should contribute to the heating of various representative pilot projects. Thus, in rural communities it will rather be the heating of public buildings (town hall, school, etc.), while in cities of medium importance, wood-fired boilers will more replace an existing heat network, using has a fossil fuel.
For the federation, the realization of this program '1 communal boilers' should have a ripple effect and could encourage the regions to follow the dynamic.

Alex belvoit
Source: www.univers-nature.com
0 x
louphil
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by louphil » 20/11/06, 20:19

Regarding wood heating, I would just like to cite one fact:

My parents, farmers in greenhouses, have been heating them for over twenty years with wood (around 2000 tonnes / year). This wood comes from waste produced by a factory manufacturing paneling, parquet floors, etc. To guarantee the calorific value of its by-product, this factory undertakes to deliver dry wood. For this it uses part of its by-product as a source of energy intended to dry out the deliverable.
But, lately, this factory has been forced to limit its polluting discharges from burnt wood for this drying. Also, the investments necessary for these treatments (smoke filtering and others certainly ...) are so exorbitant, and in no way guarantee any future even more drastic standards also requiring unpredictable investments, this factory therefore ceases all delivery of industrial firewood.
I do not know in detail all the ins and outs of this story (but I can find out more about it, if that can bring something more ...), but I know that my parents are pretty em ... , to find an equivalent product. If you have ideas, or know a possible supplier of identical or equivalent product, I am interested ...
In any case I do not see where is the econological approach in this story, and wonder about the merits of these 1000 wood boilers, and if in the end, they will not be one day, they too pointed out ...
0 x
cpam
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Pollution wood boilers

by cpam » 24/11/06, 17:56

Hello,
I agree with you a little bit about wood heating, but like in many areas, at the start we only look at and highlight one point, in this case, the renewable energy aspect.
It should not be forgotten that burning wood also produces particle emissions which may not be annoying outside urban areas, but which can become critical in the event of high concentrations, in Ile de France the dust particles emitted only by residential heating already represents 7% (CITERA) but these 7% represent 32% of the fraction PM2.5 that have a health impact
and the Ile de France region, like Canada and Switzerland, is starting to emerge from the guidelines for the use of wood !!

This is my comment
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/11/06, 18:01

Yes, and burning wood even produces ... dioxins!
But fortunately these are the "good" dioxins ... not dangerous therefore ...

Please note that I am talking about natural wood: certain types of wood store chlorine in their bark ...

This does not concern recycling old wood waste where I imagine that there are abuses like everywhere (style we put a 1% of plastic in the pellets it will mount the PCI and nobody will see anything ...)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/11/06, 18:11

louphil wrote:My parents, farmers in greenhouses, have been heating them for over twenty years with wood (around 2000 tonnes / year).

2000 T per year! Waw and how much is that in boiler capacity?

louphil wrote:This wood comes from waste produced by a factory manufacturing paneling, parquet floors, etc.

This is what worries me ... it would surprise me that the floors and paneling are "cleaned" of the chemicals necessary for their treatment ... well if it remains in "acceptable" proportions ...
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 24/11/06, 18:54

Hello

and the Ile de France region, like Canada and Switzerland, is starting to emerge from the guidelines for the use of wood !!

He talks about standards for cities, but currently it is the municipalities that impose their standards for wood heating.
But we are still far from heating exclusively with wood for everyone, if we have to buy the rope (less than 1 stere) of wood delivered and split in it costs $ 80. You have to put it away, handle it, load the stove, clean the dust and sweep the chimney ect .. for the economical side between all electric and heating with wood is minimal, ecological heated side electric is what is best at quebec (most of the electricity is hydraulic) and it's simple no maintenance no headache.

Wood is interesting if we are going to (be it) be same, but you have to take the trouble to do it, it's like picking up fried potato oil, you have to want to go out with the great outdoors chain saw .. nothing is easy ..

But first think of insulating your house well, with the little cold you have you will hardly need to heat.

Andre
0 x
hug
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by hug » 11/12/06, 18:15

Andre wrote:Wood is interesting if we are going to (be it) be same, but you have to take the trouble to do it, it's like picking up fried potato oil, you have to want to go out with the great outdoors chain saw .. nothing is easy ..
Andre

Totally agree !

With the fact that burning wood does not emit more CO2 than wood has absorbed, we would be led to believe that we can consume as much wood as we want!
However, in order for the wood to reach my home, foresters used energy to go to work, cut the wood, put it away, sort it ... Then the wood was transported to my home. In this case, transporting wood is expensive, (ecologically and economically.
Wood is valid where it is abundant: Canada and Switzerland undoubtedly, rural regions (where in any case it is cut to maintain its land).
0 x
frog
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by frog » 24/02/07, 21:24

[If you have ideas, or know a possible supplier of identical or equivalent product, I am interested ...
In any case I do not see where is the econological approach in this story, and wonder about the merits of these 1000 wood boilers, and if in the end, they will not be one day, they too pointed out ... [/ quote]

It would be necessary to know the type of product consumed to give a supplier. Considering the producing factory, I think it delivered industrial brochures.
There are general suppliers who deliver exactly the wood product that can be used for each boiler: sawdust, pellets, chips, logs ....... dry or green (cheaper) .... pure or mixed with other fuels ( straw, various residues ....)

In my region, there are BIOCOMBUSTIBLES based in Calvados which does that.

Regarding, the 1000 boilers, it seems that the bet is already successful, it works very well with communities. The most interested are the rural communities owning forests whose menu products are difficult to value and which create in addition to local employment (woodcutter, machine operator, deliveryman ...)
0 x
frog
frog
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by frog » 24/02/07, 21:29

This is what worries me ... it would surprise me that the floors and paneling are "cleaned" of the chemicals necessary for their treatment ... well if it remains in "acceptable" proportions ...

Waste normally follows separate courses, scrap wood and sawdust go on one side and machined scrap (treated, varnished) on the other
0 x
frog
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 24/02/07, 23:48

yeah, you talk. These machined scrap will simply end up in an incinerator.
frog, your parents can also burn it even if it is not steamed, right?

It seems that we potentially have 400 tonnes of renewable energy wood per year. if the 000 boilers burn 1000 T, where will the 600 T be missing ???
0 x