Louisiana and BP: Methane hydrate is acting up

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View dedeleco » 10/05/10, 22:27

is to lay down a law which obliges oil tankers to insure themselves against unlimited amounts against this kind of accident

And not only the oil tankers, but all large-scale activities, such as the nuclear industry, GMOs, pesticides, mobile phones, chemicals (Bhopal, AZF, etc.), bitumbers, who work without insurance or nets of security, apart from the victims who are stuck full pot !!!! and taxpayers and governments who bail out insurance and banks like a bottomless basket !!!!

Certain activities would be developed with more thought and less contempt, under insurance supervision !!

It is forbidden to drive by car without insurance, why it is authorized to do these hyper-dangerous activities without valid insurance ????
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View sen-no-sen » 11/05/10, 00:25

Ptilu wrote:A solution had been advanced against the black tide, it is to lay a law that requires the tanker to insure against an unlimited amount against this kind of accident ... But exit because too much money at stake. ..

An army of lobbyists (exxon, chevron etc ...) haunt the corridors of the American congress against this!
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Ptilu
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

View Ptilu » 11/05/10, 13:21

It's always the same problem ... Depressing :(
I often say:

The problem is not technical, it is human.

Another striking example
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View Macro » 11/05/10, 14:02

sen-no-sen wrote:
Ptilu wrote:A solution had been advanced against the black tide, it is to lay a law that requires the tanker to insure against an unlimited amount against this kind of accident ... But exit because too much money at stake. ..

An army of lobbyists (exxon, chevron etc ...) haunt the corridors of the American congress against this!

I work on an oil depot ... Any intervening company must provide us with a certificate of civil liability insurance from a renowned company guaranteeing the risks of competing for an unlimited amount ...

I can guarantee you that there has been a lot of competition in terms of supplier ....

The mail carrier stays outside, the cleaning lady is billed by the hour at the same price as a professional diver ...

Before telling anything by tapping on the back of the lobbies .. So sweep a little outside your door ...

How much does your weekly bin weigh? what's in it ??? are you sure there was no way other than filling it ??? Finally do you know and can you justify the final destination of your waste ???

They know all this can justify it and must do it ...

Manipulating products such as petroleum on offshore platforms is not going down to the cellar to find a pair ...
Some of you may be sailors and know that against natural elements (seas winds ....) nothing lasts indefinitely and that one day or another there is always a problem ... The first boats were built by man there are millennia ... It sinks every day ..
0 x
Ptilu
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

View Ptilu » 11/05/10, 14:36

Hello
I am well aware that it is expensive ... But I did not understand. Is the unlimited insurance of which you speak valid for the confidentiality policy or for the kind of catastrophe which interests us?
Because you can understand that millions of barrels pouring into the Mississippi Strait when the risk was said to be negligible, there is enough to shock more than one ...
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View Macro » 11/05/10, 15:20

If a company wants to work on a Seveso2 site in France and the EEC, it must justify such insurance in case it ruins the mess ...

A site manager seveso 2 must also be able to justify such insurance and the provision of a possible franchise with the control authorities of these industries (drire prefecture clic ...)

The industrialists certainly do not all have their own hands ... But as far as compensation is concerned, it is quite simply the insurance that pays the poor now ...

(in the past the manufacturer was far too often his own insurer or rather the financial package of the industrialist was completely from the funds of a large insurance company which took the opportunity to "cover" (or not) in the event of a disaster) practice endangered since azf ...
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View Macro » 11/05/10, 15:35

dedeleco wrote:
Certain activities would be developed with more thought and less contempt, under insurance supervision !!

Ha good .... the iso thing standards thing to which meet the major industrial groups ... Who's checking them ???

LRQA? the loyd ca say something to you ???

: Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
0 x
gildas
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

View gildas » 11/05/10, 17:13

Hello,
Macro wrote:
How much does your weekly bin weigh? what's in it ??? are you sure there was no way other than filling it ??? Finally you know and can justify yourself of the final destination of your waste

1) 1/2 tank (20L)

2) diesel

3) no

4) in the air

5) we cannot do otherwise unless my diesel would be equipped
of water doping.
: Cheesy:
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View dedeleco » 11/05/10, 17:30

Very instructive this dialogue confronting the points of view!
I work on an oil depot ... Any intervening company must provide us with a certificate of civil liability insurance from a renowned company guaranteeing the risks of competing for an unlimited amount ...

However, all insurance, like all of us in our purchases, if consistent, makes the financial assessment, risk and cost of accidents divided by the sum of all the contributions received to cover these risks !!!
Their profit and the survival of insurance depends on keeping this ratio less than 1 !!!
Also when Macro writes that large insurance companies cover the risk of an unlimited amount, therefore with the infinite numerator, and therefore the certainty of bankruptcy of insurance following the "unlimited" accident, it is not possible for me to believe such an assertion which, on reflection, is totally misleading and even borders on disinformation !!!
I ask to see the contract !!! and read the restrictive clauses !!!
Unlimited risk requires unlimited contributions !! Otherwise, faced with the unlimited catastrophe, we are sure of bankruptcies, in unlimited numbers of insurance companies and banks, such as AEG, Lheman, and the others bailed out by taxpayers, for a few million rotten loans !!!
It is true that certain of being bailed out by the taxpayers, too big to go bankrupt, these bankers and asuransters, can ensure the "unlimited" !!!! Their unlimited insurer is the taxpayer !!! which is not unlimited in fact, because of the catastrophe which is amplifying more and more, following the insane risks taken repeatedly, rotten loans insured, unlimited catastrophe !!!,

I would like to be covered on the unlimited risk of the nuclear risk and earthquake for my life and my houses and goods (however rather limited) or the insurances decline any insurance on the nuclear risk and for the earthquake nothing is clear, but in important cases, the only certainty that I have, is their bankruptcy with the guaranteed fund completely empty, before Xynthia !!!

(in the past the manufacturer was far too often his own insurer or rather the financial package of the industrialist was completely from the funds of a large insurance company which took the opportunity to "cover" (or not) in case of disaster) praic endangered since azf ...

shows that this unlimited is very recent (and limited to France ???) and in fact completely phony and one more disinformation!

Unlimited nuclear disaster is not guaranteed (decades of French GDP), no more than unlocated earthquakes (more than 7 such as Lisbon 1755 and the associated tsunami), neither GMOs nor telephones portable, like asbestos where we do not care about the sick and dead (no economic damage with early retirement !!! staggering)

GMOs will explode because we have just discovered a code in the genetic code
http://www.physorg.com/news192282850.html
and this understanding will open up possibilities of GMOs at unlimited risk without insurance apart from an unlimited catastrophe on living beings and our death !!
0 x
Ptilu
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

View Ptilu » 11/05/10, 18:17

to support the debate:

http://fr.news.yahoo.com/68/20100511/ts ... aaa9b.html

really desperate as a solution ...
0 x