Nuclear power continues in the world

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
SixK
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Nuclear continues in the world

View SixK » 08/08/22, 22:46

Personally, I wouldn't accuse EDF of increasing the debt.

It was the government that made him buy Areva 60 billion (I no longer have the exact figure), build a 3rd EPR while the EDF accountant said Stop the 2nd, buy back the turbines (without the patents) that Macron had sold to the Americans ...

In short, successive governments have done everything to sink the company in order to be able to dismantle it in the name of Europe? or globalization?

They have already separated the distribution part (Enedis) from the operator part (EDF).
Now the government is going to renationalise, and then what? Selling by cutting to foreign powers?
1 x
Optimists invented airplanes, parachutes pessimistic. George Bernard Shaw.
Thought personal, I understand better why the big bosses invented the golden parachute.
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View izentrop » 11/08/22, 00:39

0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View izentrop » 13/08/22, 04:39

Too bad they waited so long to experience it
China has given the green light for a test with a nuclear reactor that uses thorium as fuel, and molten salt as a "moderator", instead of water. This type of reactor would produce less radioactive waste and offer more safety...

The reactor has in fact already been completed for a year, the institute was only waiting for the green light from the ministry. The project had started in 2011, with an envelope equivalent to 444 million dollars. Construction began in 2018, in Wuwei (in the north of the country, towards the Mongolian border), and was completed well before the set deadline, which was 2024.

The green light is given for a first experimental reactor of 2 MW. If the project is conclusive, China wants to build, in 2030, a 373 MW reactor, which is smaller than a conventional reactor (which is up to 1.000 MW).
https://fr.businessam.be/feu-vert-chine ... radioactif
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View Janic » 13/08/22, 08:25

izmentrop
The green light is given for a first experimental reactor of 2 MW. If the project is conclusive, China wants to build, in 2030, a 373 MW reactor, which is smaller than a conventional reactor (which is up to 1.000 MW).
experimental vaccine or experimental reactor! If it gets in their face, they hope (as with vaccines) that it won't cause too many injuries, but history shows the opposite!
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View izentrop » 13/08/22, 10:46

Janic wrote:experimental vaccine or experimental reactor! If it blows their minds
: roll:
No, but the engineers and technicians of the project are big boys or girls... You always take the others for more irresponsible than they are... not a conspi for nothing : Mrgreen:
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View Janic » 13/08/22, 11:40

izmentrop
No, but the engineers and technicians of the project are big boys or girls... You always take the others for more irresponsible than they are... not a conspi for nothing
ah, ah, ah! Having been part of the engineers and technicians in the industry, does not make me laugh! On the other hand this:
for more irresponsible than they are..
it's good to recognize that they are, despite everything, irresponsible... and conspis of course!
as G dufoix and contaminated blood said: (ir)"responsible but not guilty : roll:
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View sicetaitsimple » 13/08/22, 19:32

Attention, it is a 2MW thermal reactor. It is necessary to validate or invalidate certain data, but there is still a way to arrive at a commercial reactor of 1000 to 1500 times more.
I don't really know if others are working on this Thorium sector, there had been a certain distribution of tasks between countries at one point on Generation4, but I don't know where it is, except that France threw the sponge on molten sodium breeder reactors (Astrid).
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View sicetaitsimple » 13/08/22, 19:51

Complement: what is certain is that there is a lot of Thorium (I read 3 to 4 times more than Uranium), and in addition it is in a way a "by-product "from the extraction of rare earths (same ore). We already have about 8500 t stored in France, including 6200 related to the extraction of rare earths from monazite by Rhodia between the 70s and 94.
https://fissionliquide.fr/2013/06/08/la ... e-thorium/
0 x
Remundo

View Remundo » 13/08/22, 22:03

oh it's great, what radioactive waste in perspective! : roll:

and we can breed from Thorium to obtain fissile U233.

well. : Twisted:

well, in the meantime, half of our reactors are shut down, we should think about it a bit... :?
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View sicetaitsimple » 13/08/22, 22:18

Remundo wrote:oh it's great, what radioactive waste in perspective! : roll:

and we can breed from Thorium to obtain fissile U233.

well. : Twisted:

well, in the meantime, half of our reactors are shut down, we should think about it a bit... :?

1.Bah a priori much less long-lived waste (transuranic) than in a typical PWR cycle.

2. not aware of breeding, in any case Thorium is not fissile, it must go through the U233 stage which is. Insofar as it is abundant and used at 100% (contrary to the 0,7% of natural U), I do not see the point of breeding, but you can explain it to us.

3. Very good: I don't know, but maybe our children, grandchildren and the suite will one day be happy to have Thorium power plants on the day when fossils would just become unaffordable.

4. No report
1 x