Tricastin, another incident! Nuclear, beginning of the end?

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 11/09/08, 10:47

well then say you do not hesitate, you!
sorry but I don't see what bullshit you're talking about, or "very good what you're talking about", then since you allow yourself to deviate from appreciation and generalization (like Christophe who calls me green) I don't see why I would not do the same to you! you are warned.

but to avoid the only high shots on your part, you just have to reread the articles that ONLY I posted from Tricastin, which highlight the pollution of the water table and the river of the inicdent of tricastin, but also of the pollution since 1970 of the water table, of the connection to local residents and farmers on the water table, and of the famous "slopes of the tricastin" which were forced to close the appellation.

But hey, continue to deny that these leaks have them impacts on the environment and especially on crops, you sink into ignorance, it's good + easy I understand you, that's how the most people faced with nuclear power, because in fact it scares them so they partition and become ignorant and naive, it's a fact ...
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 11/09/08, 11:06

jonule wrote:[...] But hey, continue to deny that these leaks have them impacts on the environment and especially on crops, [...]
And it is you who speaks of generalization?
The mind boggles! : roll:

Well there I have no time to lose, I come back later ...
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 11/09/08, 11:24

well it's not worth wasting your time actually
lumberjack wrote:Mwoué ...
It's not obvious that the "dilution" water comes from the accompanying aquifer of the Rhône, but hey, you're right, it's a possible entry route ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/09/08, 09:43

It continues:

Minimal incident at Melox, Areva subsidiary, on the Marcoule site

19:44 11/09/2008, AFP Science and Environment dispatches

An error in the storage of two sealed measurement materials, containing a radioactive source, at Melox, an Areva subsidiary located in Marcoule, led the company to request the classification of the incident at level 1 on the international scale INES nuclear events

What did I say? I bet there is no more problem than before ... only the Tricastin incident has reinforced the attention paid to nuclear safety and "controls" ...
0 x
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by martien007 » 12/09/08, 10:35

Christophe wrote:It continues:

Minimal incident at Melox, Areva subsidiary, on the Marcoule site

19:44 11/09/2008, AFP Science and Environment dispatches

An error in the storage of two sealed measurement materials, containing a radioactive source, at Melox, an Areva subsidiary located in Marcoule, led the company to request the classification of the incident at level 1 on the international scale INES nuclear events

What did I say? I bet there is no more problem than before ... only the Tricastin incident has reinforced the attention paid to nuclear safety and "controls" ...

censorship?

It seemed to me to have written a post last night here, following insults exchanged between jonule and you + remarks of modos, in particular Christine.

If you delete this, you must also cancel the exclusion of jonule, because there we understand nothing!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/09/08, 10:39

You are delirious Martian ...

I censored nothing except Christine's posts ...
If another modo has been there you have to take it out on him.

Here is the afp link to Areva's news:

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5g5m ... NzyI9lnqQQ
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 15/10/08, 11:10

no this is not the right info:

An "incident" which has worried for a month, at the Tricastin nuclear power plant
One would have thought that the series of incidents which touched the nuclear site of Tricastin, in Drôme, was closed, but it is nothing. It was during a periodic nuclear fuel renewal operation that a new incident took place on September 8. Originally proposed at level 1 on the INES scale (1), i.e. the lowest level, the incident occurred during the opening of the core of the 'Tricastin 2' pressurized water reactor, to renew the fuel which is in the form of 157 assemblies each comprising 264 fuel rods.
During the operation, while the cover of the reactor vessel and the upper internal holding structures are removed to replace the fuel (2), 2 assemblies remained attached to these structures during removal (cf. drawing). Consequently, the operation was immediately stopped, the 2 assemblies remaining suspended underwater in the tank, while the operator had the reactor building evacuated and isolated.

Today, while the incident is still ongoing, the ASN (Nuclear Safety Authority) is evaluating the technical solution proposed by EDF to recover the two fuel assemblies, before approving the operation. If for the moment there have been no consequences for both the plant staff and the environment, in the current situation 'a possible fall of the two assemblies could have two consequences: a risk of criticality, namely the triggering of an uncontrolled chain reaction, and a risk of release inside and outside the gas fission products power plant ', according to the Nuclear Safety Authority. Although it recognizes these risks, knowing that the fuel assemblies remain suspended in cooling water having a high concentration of boron, absorbing the neutrons, ASN considers an unlikely chain reaction.
However, even if French nuclear power already knows a precedent (in 1999, at the Nogent sur Seine nuclear power plant, in the Aube), without falling into catastrophism, it must be recognized that the situation in Tricastin is more serious with 2 bars suspended, instead of just one in 1999. Indeed, during the recovery operation of the first fuel assembly, the risk of causing the fall of the second is real. Furthermore, in this reactor certain rods contain plutonium, which clearly increases the risks of chain reaction.

If it recognizes that the hypothesis of an accident with release of radioactivity is not the most certain, the Sortir du nuclear network stresses however that it is 'absolutely necessary' that the date of intervention on the 2 suspended bars be made public to allow local residents to 'decide whether or not they want to stay near the power plant during the EDF attempt, which nobody knows how it will end'. In addition, the association recalls that 'iodine lozenges, sometimes distributed by the authorities in the event of a nuclear accident, protect only radioactive iodine but not other radioactive products released by a nuclear accident.'

If the occurrence of an incident on an industrial site, even a nuclear one, is unfortunately not an exceptional event, the succession of incidents in such a short period of time, as currently on the Tricastin site, inevitably underlines a dysfunction. Faced with this situation, it would be prudent for those responsible for the site to give themselves the time to analyze the why of this succession of incidents before we climb the levels of the INES scale…
Pascal farcy
Diagram © ASN
1- INES is the international classification scale for nuclear events. It covers events occurring in all civilian nuclear installations and during the transport of radioactive materials and has 7 levels: in ascending order, from 0 to 3, the progressive degradation of the various barriers between the core of the nuclear reactor and the outside, from 4 to 7, an increasing impact on the environment and people.
2- Prior to the opening of the reactor, it is obviously stopped, the cooling circuit depressurized, then the reactor pool where the fuel is located is filled with borated water.

drawing of blocked stacks:
http://www.univers-nature.com/inf/inf_a ... gi?id=3395
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 12/11/08, 15:43

Chemical leak at Eurodif

The black series continues. At around 20 p.m. yesterday evening, tests were carried out in La Gaffière waters. We have indeed learned of the leak of a chemical that was discovered yesterday morning at the Eurodif factory, a subsidiary of the Areva group, located by the two famous cooling towers. During a few days, at least three according to our information, boron was evacuated in the water of La Gaffière.
5 months to the day after Socatri!

Three hundred kilos of this substance left with rainwater in this river bordering the Tricastin nuclear site. River that we had already talked a lot about with the accident that occurred on Socatri this summer. It was July 7, five months ago today, yesterday. In the afternoon of Friday, tests were carried out in the Gaffière and they revealed that it was "perfectly drinkable", said the ASN spokesperson.

Around 19 p.m. yesterday, the Drôme prefecture confirmed that "the sample taken at 18 p.m. reported a rate of 0,2 milligrams of boron per liter". A value "five times lower than the sanitary standard of drinkability which is 1 milligram per liter". The event, which is not radioactive, should not be classified by the Nuclear Safety Authority on the INES scale "because there would be no environmental and health consequences".
No evacuation
If the internal emergency plan (PUI) would have been implemented yesterday, no one should have been evacuated, said the spokespersons of Areva and ASN. Before ensuring that last night, the leak had been stopped. For the anecdote, Thursday, during a visit to the site of the Georges-Besse II factory which will replace Eurodif by stages in 2009, the former director of Eurodif Gérard Perrat pointed out that no incident had struck the company since its creation. "I touch wood," he added.

LANDMARKS :
EURODIF - The Eurodif (Georges-Besse) factory is responsible for the enrichment of uranium. It is located on Pierrelatte.
It has two cooling towers evacuating water vapor. In these towers, the water contains the chemical "boron".
BORON - Said to be slightly toxic and non-radioactive, boron is a chemical that neutralizes neutrons in the event of uranium leakage.
It is supposed to play a security role.
THE INFORMATION IN QUESTION - There were many coincidences yesterday. While no Areva press release was issued before the press seized the information, Jean-Louis Borloo announced yesterday his commitment to "improve information on radioactive elements in the environment" .
PREVIOUS ON AREVA
- July 7: uranium leak (75 kilos) in two rivers following the overflow of a tank at Socatri.
- August 6: an anomaly when opening a package on Socatri leads to radioactive releases to the atmosphere.
- August 21: discovery of a leak on a pipeline carrying uranium to Comurhex.

The Dauphiné Libéré - 8 November 2008

Tricastin: two leaks at the EDF nuclear power plant!

In parallel to the incident on Eurodif, we learned last night of the existence of two leaks at the EDF-Tricastin nuclear power plant. The electrician's spokesperson said that water and oxygen were escaping from a pipe located in the engine room of reactor no. 4. Any risk of explosion linked to the presence of oxygen would be "ruled out". These leaks have been around for two days and in order to fix them, there will be a drop in engine speed this weekend.

"and it goes on and on ... it's just the beginning, alright, alright ...."
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 16/07/09, 11:19

Tricastin: it's still leaking!

last year, when uranium waste poured into the rhone to descend on the beaches of marseilles, they were talking about I don't know how much "360 kg of uranium" I believe ... but it was not natural uranium, it was quite artificial, but that's the lobby's way of communicating; they always focus on words that are easy to distort for the public, it is always so and the one who is not careful confuses the rendered radioactive acid that they use with that of the chemistry labs ...
in reality it is 30m3 of uranium waste which had been spilled, but by calculating the concentration they gave only the mass, in accordance with what the ACT on "nuclear, security and transparency" voted on a summer night in 2006 allows them to communicate, as well as on the INES scales that they themselves have established, in partnership with the WHO (charter of 59).

thus by looking for "hydrofluoric acid" and adding "nuclear" (a bit like "z" for the warez of the net ;-), we come across:

a lobby publication which cites:
The plant produces around 20 t / year of 000% hydrofluoric acid [Cogéma (70 ??)], "slightly" contaminated with uranium.
http://www.francenuc.org/fr_sites/rhone_tri_f2.htm

well. if we do ctrl + F while searching for "acid" in the page, we easily come across how the acid is used and what it becomes, it is really nuclear waste, transported by train for reprocessing (including wagons have already overturned from convoys from Germany) etc! and we understand why the prefect is aware and lectures them, but the dauphiné released (from whom or from what?) "daubé" as we rightly say, uses the communication of the nuclear lobby, in accordance with the same previously voted nuclear communication law ...

we will also notice: we do not say "where" the pollution spilled, I think that if it was in the factory, the prefect would not have come, unless he was invited for the occasion. ...

here is which should interest:
HF (fulorydric acid) cycle in the enrichment of nuclear fuel: fluorides:
http://books.google.fr/books?id=DAa4_P8 ... &resnum=10
just look at "hydrofluoric acid" or HF to understand its "volatile" toxicity, which is not communicated by the lobby ... who will get the info? on the areva site? ...

c
Now if we look for real info from the activists (used to the lobby communication) we find by searching on this site (the nuclear gazette) with "fluoridric acid":
"The event of pollution of the establishment's chilled water network by a process fluid of the hydrofluoric acid (HF) type had not been identified by the operator despite the occurrence of a similar event in 1996. In order to d '' avoid corrosion of the process circuits of certain installations, the operator discharged part of the chilled water into the rainwater network, which is not intended for this purpose. of action to be taken to manage the effluents generated by this type of event on the W plant and the TU5 workshop. In addition, leaks in the chilled water circuit have led to uncontrolled releases into the ground. "
http://resosol.org/Gazette/2007/241242p26.html

finally we learn that HF ​​is involved in the reprocessing of plutonium fuels! I would be curious to know what it becomes after, and what is the mass in HF of what it became, do you understand?
"On the other hand, we know that specific problems arise when re-processing fast fuels with plutonium: incomplete dissolution in boiling nitric acid (addition of hydrofluoric acid is sometimes necessary)"
http://resosol.org/Gazette/1981/43p12.html

news from 2009:
"It is at the Malvési plant that we receive the" Yellow cake "which is transformed into UF4. It is then transferred to the Comurhex plant in Pierrelatte to be transformed into UF6. Then at the Georges Besse 1 plant. (Tricastin site) this UF6 is enriched.
There is a fight carried out on the spot to avoid pollution and the extension without stopping of the lagoons: it is an ICPE therefore subject to prefectural orders. It is a chemical plant (hydrofluoric acid): the process generates sludge loaded with uranium.
"
http://resosol.org/Gazette/2009/251p08.html

we understand that all these PRACTICAL transports necessarily have logistical flaws, such as too old boats which run aground with pertole, or planes whose maintenance has been "forgotten" by the privatized subcontracting boxes which do not have the same standards ...

but what does it matter, count on a flawless technology and therefore without leaks, as I said I do not know who, and ask us what causes hydrofluoric acid on the body?

technical sheet :
"Hydrofluoric acid can enter the body through the respiratory tract, through the skin and through
mucous membranes. It can also be ingested, but this is very rare. (unless present in water ...)
The effects on the skin, according to the concentration of hydrofluoric acid are presented in the table below.
When splashing on the skin
Depending on the concentration Pain felt Damage observed
50% and more Immediate & severe Ulcers or necrosis
20% to 50% 1 to 8 hours after the accident Red, white, then blisters
0,1 to 20% 24 hours after the accident Redness
2.5% HF on the skin can cause heart problems,
if more than 2% of surface is reached (the equivalent of the hand)
IMPORTANT
Fluorine ion crosses the skin, underlying tissues, deep layers and causes tissue destruction
and bones. It can also lead to heart, neurological and other changes that can
cause death. "
http://www.santepub-mtl.qc.ca/Travail/s ... defluo.pdf

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acide_fluorhydrique

etc ...

No, nuclear activities do not pollute!
so, strongly the electric car!

and in the meantime, have a good swim!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/07/12, 10:06

One more incident ...

Tricastin: level 1 incident in an Areva uranium processing plant

An anomaly during the transport of a cylinder containing uranium intended for enrichment led to a level 1 incident (on a scale of 7) at the Areva nuclear site of Tricastin in Drôme, without consequence on the personnel and the environment, announced Thursday Areva.

This anomaly in the mass control process of uranium hexafluoride (a chemical form of uranium intended for the enrichment plant on the same site) was detected during transport between two workshops in April.

After several discussions with the Nuclear Safety Authority (ASN), it was decided in July to classify this anomaly at level 1 on the international scale of nuclear events (INES), graduated up to 7.

"A deviation concerning the mass of uranium hexafluoride contained in a cylinder was not detected by the control means provided for this purpose", indicates the Areva press release, specifying that the regulatory mass had been exceeded.

This difference in mass, although below the limit authorized by the prefectural decree in force on the site, was greater than the relative internal rule and the transport operation had to be stopped.

Comurhex is one of the six establishments, subsidiaries of Areva, located on the Tricastin site. It ensures the conversion of natural uranium into chemical compounds. These are intended to be enriched to become nuclear fuel used in power plants.

http://sciencesetavenir.nouvelobs.com/n ... areva.html

ps: funny the title of this subject, created almost 3 years before Fukushima ...
0 x

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"