Tricastin, another incident! Nuclear, beginning of the end?

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 10/09/08, 13:32

how are residents living near a nuclear incident?

Provence - September 10, 2008
The daily rage of the inhabitants of Tricastin

Perhaps this is the incident too many. The one that residents of the Tricastin site will have the most difficulty digesting. Even if it does not present a priori any serious character, even if it does not imply any restriction on bathing, irrigation or water consumption, as was the case at the beginning of July, this fourth incident in two months begins to seriously annoy between Bollène, Lapalud and Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux. It is true that "the small soap opera side of the summer of nuclear incidents", the residents of the EDF plant would gladly have done without.

With a touch of resignation in his voice, Éric Mancellon, farmer from the hamlet of La Croisière, west of Bollène, admits his weariness. “What do you want us to do?” He asks, “because even if we do not let ourselves be done, even if we denounce all the problems that these repeated incidents cause us, we know very well that they won't shut down the plant or the rest. " So, Eric Mancellon does like most of the neighbors of the nuclear site: he defends himself. On July 7, when 74kg of uranium from the Socatri site spilled into nearby rivers and the water table, it was prohibited from using its borehole to water its fields. Result: 2500 lost salads. And a compensation file immediately filed with Areva.

But getting redress is not his only concern. "In this story, it's our image that takes a hit, he worries. I also hope that they will pay for a nice advertisement on the Vaucluse on TV to correct it." The image is precisely what torments the winegrowers of the region. At least the sixty private cellars and cooperatives of the Coteaux du Tricastin appellation. After the first incident, at the beginning of July, some winegrowers have also unearthed an idea that was a few years old: to obtain from the National Institute of Designations of Origin (Inao) the change of the name of their AOC. "It is the fruit of a very long tradition and this name corresponds to a natural site that existed long before nuclear power, but it is true that it is starting to harm us", admits Alain Bayonne, director of the cooperative by Suzela-Rousse. According to him, this is not a figment of the imagination: "regular customers and consumers have become more cautious" vis-à-vis Tricastin wines in recent weeks.

"Wholesalers write to us to let us know about their difficulties in selling our products because of their name," notes Alain Bayonne, regretting that this movement "adds to the slump" which has hit the wine profession for five or six years. As proof, on the internet, there are pages and pages devoted to the dangers of the atom that scroll when you type "Tricastin" in the "search" window. The pages dedicated to the quality of the wines of this magnificent terroir do not come until much later. Problem: the steps to change the name of an appellation are not considered very easy, nor very fast. "But there is an emergency," explains the side of the AOC Coteaux du Tricastin union, as if to convince itself that Inao would understand the meaning and the need for this request.

Despite some resistance, some winegrowers find it difficult to admit that they are forced to give up a large part of their identity. Because today, the hundreds of jobs and the generous subsidies paid by the site's companies (14 million euros per year in respect of the professional tax for the EDF power station alone) are no longer enough to settle the dispute.

say that I have been drinking on the rhone side for years and that there has been an underlying leak for years in the groundwater ... well it's OVER I will drink more na!
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 10/09/08, 13:37

jonule wrote:[...] say that I drink on the side of the rhone for years and that there is an underlying leak for years in the groundwater ... well it's OVER I will drink more na!
At the same time, given the relationship between the vine and a water table ...: roll:
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
renaud67
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by renaud67 » 10/09/08, 14:37

Woodcutter wrote:
jonule wrote:[...] say that I drink on the side of the rhone for years and that there is an underlying leak for years in the groundwater ... well it's OVER I will drink more na!
At the same time, given the relationship between the vine and a water table ...: roll:

Watering can be :?:
0 x
The absurdities of yesterday are the truths of today and tomorrow banalities.
(Alessandro Marandotti)
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 10/09/08, 14:56

renaud67 wrote:
Woodcutter wrote:

Watering can be :?:
In this case, it is crappy wine and he is right not to drink it! : Lol:
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 10/09/08, 14:59

?
is wine, the food that receives the most treatments, well treated ?!
the treatments are not diluted?
with water ?
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 10/09/08, 15:10

Mwoué ...
It's not obvious that the "dilution" water comes from the accompanying aquifer of the Rhône, but hey, you're right, it's a possible entry route ...

Long live organic wine!
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 10/09/08, 15:13

If you had read the links I sent on the Tricastin, you would have seen that most of the local residents and farmers are connected to the water table of Bollene, directly, and that during the accident Areva connected them to a tank. ..

but no you haven't read, and keep doing your septic tank, it's you : roll: .....
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 10/09/08, 17:29

jonule wrote:[...] but no you haven't read, and keep doing your septic tank, it's you : roll: .....
Sceptic, otherwise it's a pit ...

Considering the number of bullshit that you relay, I have rather interest to be it ...

Furthermore, when we look at where the vineyards are located, we can still doubt ...
But hey, since you don't like scientists, you mustn't like the scientific approach either.
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 11/09/08, 10:02

? what bullshit are you talking about Bucheron, can you be more explicit, you who love precision?
it's not my fault if you don't read the links I send, because you suspect I don't know what ...

ditto:
Woodcutter wrote:Furthermore, when we look at where the vineyards are located, we can still doubt ...

where ? what card are you talking about? you can copy / paste, or an address, when you talk about an element and you conclude that we can doubt, the least thing is to display the element, otherwise we do not know what we are talking !

that's for the scientific spirit, tested on rabbit butts : Lol:
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 11/09/08, 10:25

jonule wrote: ? what bullshit are you talking about Bucheron, can you be more explicit, you who love precision?
it's not my fault if you don't read the links that I send, because you suspect I don't know what ...:
No, sorry, there are too many and I think you know what I'm talking about ...

jonule wrote:
Woodcutter wrote:Furthermore, when we look at where the vineyards are located, we can still doubt ...

where ? what card are you talking about? you can copy / paste, or an address, when you talk about an element and you conclude that we can doubt, the least thing is to display the element, otherwise we do not know what we are talking !

that's for the scientific spirit, tested on rabbit butts : Lol:
Is it really worth continuing this discussion, given the tone you make him take? :|
0 x

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"