Is Jean-Marc Jancovici a c ...?

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Is Jean-Marc Jancovici a c ...?

by sicetaitsimple » 24/11/20, 21:42

Remundo wrote:interest yourself to HVDC (high voltage direct current) networks which transport electricity over thousands of km with less than 10% losses.
Here is in red the existing network for Europe, in green the lines approved for construction, and in blue the projects

And? How much does it represent in total? And how many per country?
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 24/11/20, 22:23

Google is your friend".
1 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 24/11/20, 22:33

ENERC wrote:
ABC2019 wrote:That does not prevent, Norway produces all its electricity by renewables while exporting its gas and oil, and is doing very well, so your explanation must not be the right one.
The case of Norway is a good reason not to be pessimistic about the future : Cheesy:
After seeing this ARTE docu, you might be less sure.
The hidden face of green energies

Will be tomorrow on you tub
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 25/11/20, 23:06

Remundo wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:
Remundo wrote:it is a "a little lame" question. :)

Certainly, but it's still a real question!
It is possible to transfer solar electricity "from East to West", but still in a limited way.
But if you have a scenario, let's say for Europe, shall I listen to you?

interest yourself to HVDC (high voltage direct current) networks which transport electricity over thousands of km with less than 10% losses.

Here is in red the existing network for Europe, in green the lines approved for construction, and in blue the projects

Interesting. I knew the Russians were already doing it but I didn't know that we had direct current high voltage lines in Europe and even as far as France.
I hope it will continue, and even up to the user (we can dream).
We are in alternative because in the Tesla / Edison fight, Tesla won. Tesla was right at the time, because we needed a change in voltages but only had the transformers for this use.
But today with power electronics, we no longer need them. And even with us, users, we surely have more than one switching power supply unit. However, a switching power supply first consists of straightening the 230v AC to DC before the voltage change. So if we had direct current directly in the house, switching power supplies would be easier to manufacture and with better efficiency. Multiplied by millions, that would not be negligible. The disadvantage is for large equipment (washing machine for example), there all the motors would have to be replaced.
2 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 25/11/20, 23:08

Ah anyway ! Image Image Image
1 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 26/11/20, 02:14

Exnihiloest wrote: The disadvantage is for large equipment (washing machine for example), there all the motors would have to be replaced.
The best now have a "brushless" brushless motor that is more efficient, light and durable. It has all the assets to become widespread in the future.
0 x
Petrus
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Petrus » 26/11/20, 17:13

izentrop wrote:
Exnihiloest wrote: The disadvantage is for large equipment (washing machine for example), there all the motors would have to be replaced.
The best now have a "brushless" brushless motor that is more efficient, light and durable. It has all the assets to become widespread in the future.

But if the manufacturer takes the opportunity to crimp the motor side bearing to the tub as on the washing machine that I dismantled, we say goodbye to durability.
On the basic model of the same brand with classic universal motor (which can also work with direct current), the bearings are replaceable on both sides, so the basic machine is more durable than the high-end version with brushless motor.
2 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 31/12/20, 22:33

If I look at the energy balance of France in 2019 (link at the bottom), electricity consumption represents only 25% of final consumption. Suddenly, Jancovici's opinion that there is certainly a more relevant way to reduce CO2 than shutting down nuclear power plants or shielding yourself from wind turbines and solar panels seems sensible to me. Likewise, closing Fessenheim to buy coal electricity from the Germans, or super-phenix for electoral reasons do not appear to me as initiatives for the common good but as political shenanigans.
The Sankey diagram on page 3 shows the enormous waste of primary energy in power plants, but not that due to the low efficiency of gasoline engines. Strangely, Jancovici does not talk about these 2 problems ...

https://www.statistiques.developpement- ... il2020.pdf
1 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 31/12/20, 22:51

If only when you see the number of "non-brushless" electric motors that persist in all sectors of the craft industry, small and medium-sized businesses and in certain industries that have not updated, one might think that there are kilowatts to be saved. I'm not even talking about heating systems or building insulation, let alone street lighting.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 01/01/21, 00:23

Philippe Schutt wrote:The Sankey diagram on page 3 shows the enormous waste of primary energy in power plants, but not that due to the low efficiency of gasoline engines. Strangely, Jancovici does not talk about these 2 problems ...
https://www.statistiques.developpement- ... il2020.pdf
Well if this is normal, it is a thermal / electrical energy conversion, as for coal, gas or fuel oil, but the efficiency can increase, by using the residual heat for heating for example. In Russia they heat entire cities, but in France the ecologists have too much power.
The average efficiency of coal-fired power plants in the world - which is equal to the average efficiency of nuclear power plants in the world - is around 33%.

When the heat is recovered, we speak of cogeneration, and the efficiency of the installation is obtained by adding what comes out in the form of electricity and in the form of useful heat (for example to supply a district heating network) and by dividing this set by the incoming energy (there are always losses). It is only on this condition - the recovery of heat - that we can reach 80% of efficiency (the rest goes into the fumes and friction). This cogeneration can be done with all types of thermal power plants (there are also cogeneration installations on nuclear power plants).
https://jancovici.com/transition-energe ... ectricite/
0 x