Is Jean-Marc Jancovici a c ...?

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Is Jean-Marc Jancovici a c ...?

by Exnihiloest » 24/11/20, 16:41

Has the subject been amended?
In my memory, it was "Jean-Marc Jancovici is he an idiot?"

He complained ?
Or would we go timidly towards econology no longer outrageous but respectful?

If I missed an episode, please summarize it for me.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 24/11/20, 19:37

we gave him a lot of publicity, and not necessarily bad.

what I find more "outrageous", although the word was excessive, it is the competition of the "me I" on this thread. : roll:

there has been a debate on thermodynamic solar. Historically yes, this technology had a better performance than PV panels, but PV panels have regained the advantage because they now have a comparable yield 25-30% for less (very easy to install compared to parabolic mirrors to point towards the Sun and the steam turbine).

Thermodynamic solar energy also has the drawback of requiring very few clouds, while PV panels adapt better to hazy skies.

Today the paradigm is quite simple,
1) it would take international collaboration to build a global electricity grid, based on various sources (but PV would probably have a very strong role), in this the DESERTEC project was very relevant.
2) and a number of storage systems to regulate the network. These systems can range from domestic micro-storage to huge storage managed directly at the national level.

an "equatorial belt" of PV panels would produce something roughly constant; I am not saying that PV should be implanted in the middle of the Pacific or the Atlantic, but sources distributed on all continents with intelligence could regulate production with less storage to create.
1 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Is Jean-Marc Jancovici a c ...? U

by Obamot » 24/11/20, 20:41

The general idea of ​​a belt of power plants all around the planet (PV or thermodynamics, whatever really matters) is certainly one of the solutions to the problem.

Mr Jancovici, for his part, believes that PV panels are not that ecological, and that if the ambient temperature rises, the efficiency drops (or else the panels would have to be “cooled”, which would be energy-consuming and would limit the interest).

I think this is a false problem, the two capture modes have their strengths VS weaknesses. They should be used accordingly. The big advantage of thermodynamic solar energy is the temporary storage of heat allowing turbination, in liquid sodium, which is an inexpensive means of storage and this is an advantage that cannot be found in PV.

It is unfortunate that Mr Jancovici never talks about thermodynamic solar energy. It would be well that one day the nuclear industry, which has real technological know-how in industrial production and energy extraction, is interested in thermodynamic solar energy with a view to its reconversion. Knowing all the tricks, they are very well placed for that, and I would possibly bet on this solution while proposing it with a belt of photovoltaic and / or thermodynamic solar plants, in the context that you describe Remundo.
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 24/11/20, 21:07

Remundo wrote:an "equatorial belt" of PV panels would produce something roughly constant; I am not saying that PV should be implanted in the middle of the Pacific or the Atlantic, but sources distributed on all continents with intelligence could regulate production with less storage to create.

That is to say? What happens in Brest after the sun goes down?
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 24/11/20, 21:09

it is a "a little lame" question. :)
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 24/11/20, 21:16

Remundo wrote:it is a "a little lame" question. :)

Certainly, but it's still a real question!
It is possible to transfer solar electricity "from East to West", but still in a limited way.
But if you have a scenario, let's say for Europe, shall I listen to you?
0 x
Remundo

Re: Is Jean-Marc Jancovici a c ...? U

by Remundo » 24/11/20, 21:23

Obamot wrote:The general idea of ​​a belt of power plants all around the planet (PV or thermodynamics, whatever really matters) is certainly one of the solutions to the problem.

or even others. In my opinion there are also cards to play on deep geothermal energy, and also ETM (thermal energy of the seas)
Mr Jancovici, for his part, believes that PV panels are not that ecological, and that if the ambient temperature rises, the efficiency drops (or else the panels would have to be “cooled”, which would be energy-consuming and would limit the interest).

The climate does not have much thermal influence on a PV panel; it is mostly the Sun, if it is sunny, a black surface easily rises to more than 50 ° C, or even more, even if the ambient temperature is around 0 to 20 ° C. The production loss is around 0,5% / ° C, in reality all PV panels installed in France could produce around 20 to 25% more in the summer if they were cooled. But we can put up with not cooling them, it still happens.
I think this is a false problem, the two capture modes have their strengths VS weaknesses. They should be used accordingly. The big advantage of thermodynamic solar energy is the temporary storage of heat allowing turbination, in liquid sodium, which is an inexpensive means of storage and this is an advantage that cannot be found in PV.

I also had my period when I was very interested in thermodynamic solar energy, it has its advantages, for my part I would rather see Stirling cycles and hyperthermic storage (several hundred ° C) in quartz silica (which only melts at 1650 ° C, basically it's pure sand).
It is unfortunate that Mr Jancovici never talks about thermodynamic solar energy. It would be well that one day the nuclear industry, which has real technological know-how in industrial production and energy extraction, is interested in thermodynamic solar energy with a view to its reconversion. Knowing all the tricks, they are very well placed for that, and I would possibly bet on this solution while proposing it with a belt of photovoltaic and / or thermodynamic solar plants, in the context that you describe Remundo.

Mr JANCOVICI has many qualities, but he remains a French nuclear player, he has a bias, he praises the atom and despises renewable energies, while things are much more nuanced if we are in good faith ...
1 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 24/11/20, 21:23

Would have to redo all its calculations "in good faith" ... :D Hey, at the moment there are already signs of the “next world”, some cities want to impose a GENERAL speed limit for all vehicles at 30km / h maximum in the city!

There is no guillotine provided for in the “Rules of Forum”(For severe cases)? ^^
Last edited by Obamot the 24 / 11 / 20, 21: 29, 1 edited once.
1 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 24/11/20, 21:29

sicetaitsimple wrote:

Certainly, but it's still a real question!
It is possible to transfer solar electricity "from East to West", but still in a limited way.
But if you have a scenario, let's say for Europe, shall I listen to you?

interest yourself to HVDC (high voltage direct current) networks which transport electricity over thousands of km with less than 10% losses.

Here is in red the existing network for Europe, in green the lines approved for construction, and in blue the projects

1 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 24/11/20, 21:30

Loss: only 3% per 1 km ...
1 x