ITER when?

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: ITER when?

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 17/06/21, 12:57

Once again, Izy gives us a comm ... and gobbles up the marketing.
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 17/06/21, 21:24

Remundo wrote:the source is that no tokamak has ever managed to maintain its fusion reaction for more than a few seconds. And that we are obliged to build this cathedral without being sure to do better.

We are sure to do better. The theory is good, the techno is compatible, an engineering question to be refined.

On the other hand, we are not at all sure to change the climate by measures on CO2, and yet we are launching some.

ITER, like other tokamaks, is more of a pan that you have to heat all the time, than a real source of heat.

ITER must be a proof of concept, and it is the height of complexity. You wish the first jet engine built could take us straight to the moon ?! One wonders if you have ever used your head and your arms to produce useful new things. Do you think all it takes is a snap of your finger? It's inventiveness, and above all a lot of work. 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration as Edison said.
In 20 to 30 years, your "pan" will replace fission nuclear, coal and wind turbines.
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 17/06/21, 21:27

(Blaming some for doing so, now Blédina in turn launches into clairvoyance ... : roll: )
2 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/06/21, 09:47

In the coming days, the most powerful magnet in the world, theoretically capable of lifting an aircraft carrier, will begin its journey from the United States to a research center in the south of France, for a daring experiment.

A 1000 Tons (electro) magnet! : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

1 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 22/06/21, 10:39

Christophe wrote:In the coming days, the most powerful magnet in the world, theoretically capable of lifting an aircraft carrier, will begin its journey from the United States to a research center in the south of France, for a daring experiment.

A 1000 Tons (electro) magnet! : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

Considering the weight of the machine (1000 tonnes), and considering that I live not far from the ITER site, there is a good chance that I will see it pass under my windows!
(generally, when there are large convoys for Iter, they close the highway)
As soon as I see him, I warn you ....
2 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/06/21, 11:22

Great ! An Econo Reporter Live! 8)

1000 Tonnes is in how much truck minimum? : Shock:
1 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 22/06/21, 16:59

I have believed for a long time that the tokamak path has no way out for the fusion of energy production.

you need a fanciful bastringue and that is not even effective. Why ? because we do not have the natural gravitation of a star which confines the plasma and which is an ideal medium to maintain thermonuclear fusion.

on the other hand, Nature offers us the energy of the Sun, for several billion years, and which covers, by the simple capture on the terrestrial soil, thousands of times the anthropogenic needs.

We know how to capture this energy with an acceptable yield to convert it into electricity (about 20%). Solar panels are easy to install and require virtually no maintenance. Even though concentrating thermodynamic plants have better efficiency, they are more complex. The solar resource being immense, it is not necessarily the conversion efficiency that is to be favored, but the cost / kWh, closely linked to the simplicity and longevity of the devices installed.

ITER is completely delusional, it is a toy for big children, but a technical defeat guaranteed in terms of quickly providing abundant and inexpensive renewable energy. Even with time, I strongly doubt that this is physically possible.

Another avenue of research, to replace the gravitation of stars, would be to magnetically compress small bubbles of plasma. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-pinch
here in an impulse operation: it is necessary to prepare the current discharge, and to hope for a gain of energy by initiating the fusion.

but it will never be easier than to convert the natural solar radiation which arrives on the Earth.
1 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 22/06/21, 17:46

Not to mention that the stuff can blow us up in the face! :(
0 x
ENERC
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by ENERC » 22/06/21, 17:53

Remundo wrote:I have believed for a long time that the tokamak path has no way out for the fusion of energy production.

you need a fanciful bastringue and that is not even effective. Why ? because we do not have the natural gravitation of a star which confines the plasma and which is an ideal medium to maintain thermonuclear fusion.

on the other hand, Nature offers us the energy of the Sun, for several billion years, and which covers, by the simple capture on the terrestrial soil, thousands of times the anthropogenic needs.

We know how to capture this energy with an acceptable yield to convert it into electricity (about 20%). Solar panels are easy to install and require virtually no maintenance. Even though concentrating thermodynamic plants have better efficiency, they are more complex. The solar resource being immense, it is not necessarily the conversion efficiency that is to be favored, but the cost / kWh, closely linked to the simplicity and longevity of the devices installed.

ITER is completely delusional, it is a toy for big children, but a technical defeat guaranteed in terms of quickly providing abundant and inexpensive renewable energy. Even with time, I strongly doubt that this is physically possible.

Another avenue of research, to replace the gravitation of stars, would be to magnetically compress small bubbles of plasma. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-pinch
here in an impulse operation: it is necessary to prepare the current discharge, and to hope for a gain of energy by initiating the fusion.

but it will never be easier than to convert the natural solar radiation which arrives on the Earth.

The ITER schedule is more like this:
Screenshot 2021-06-22 to 17.44.31.png
Capturing 2021-06 22-screen 17.44.31.png (135.61 KB) Viewed times 1840

At best, the first proto that will produce more power than it consumes is scheduled for 2060-2065, and the first commercial reactor even later if all goes well.

The movie here https://news.newenergytimes.net/iter/ shows how scientists have smoked the press and decision-makers.

Even so, to confuse "power injected into the plasma" and "energy consumed by the reactor" is rather big. It is also not for nothing that the world's largest cryogenic unit is at ITER.
1 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 22/06/21, 17:58

65 Billion dollars screwed up ... A straw. Better to invest in wind turbines ... : Mrgreen:
1 x