Hydrogen, storage and production: evolution and H2 technologies

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
SebastianL
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Re: Hydrogen, storage and production: evolution and H2 technologies

by SebastianL » 14/01/23, 11:37

Christophe wrote:Uh it's a bit WTF isn't it?

H2, electrolysis and water stress in France:

There are no sources for the 20 liters of water used.
H2O is 2g for H2 and 16g for O so 1kg of hydrogen is 8 liters of water.
I commonly see small reverse osmosis desalination at 600W for 30 liters per hour, or 20wh per liter of water.
8 liters is 160wh out of 39kwh of one kg hydrogen or 0.4%, in short there should be a little water left for the pastis
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 14/01/23, 18:28

Christophe wrote:Uh it's a bit WTF isn't it?
H2, electrolysis and water stress in France:

I am not a big fan of the hydrogen electrolysis sector, except, and I have already said so, to replace the hydrogen molecule currently mainly produced by reforming methane, in uses where it is indeed its physico-chemical properties and not its calorific value which are sought after (fertilizer, refining and others). It's already a lot of work....
Now, that this sector prepares its rear and future "attacks" by producing and distributing brochures showing that it is not a big consumer of water does not shock me, because it is true. Admittedly, large electrolysis units will have to be located near a water resource, but at worst one can effectively think of seawater desalination units insofar as the electrolysis water must be in all cases be demineralised beforehand.
1 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 30/07/23, 09:08

Natural hydrogen a French hope? ...

We're not there yet ... https://lejournal.cnrs.fr/articles/un-g ... n-lorraine
1 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 30/07/23, 12:24

"cover all of our needs", come on.

I have a "gas" friend near Mont de Marsan who told me about this natural H2.

It's a bit of a mystery right now. It seems that small quantities are produced, and in a diffuse way most of the time.

it is not renewable strictly speaking, at least we must be very careful about this term. For example, H2 from oxidation-reduction cannot be regenerated in a renewable way (it amounts to exhausting the ore).

A subject "to dig", if I dare say, but I seriously doubt that it will revolutionize the energy sector.

H2 by geothermal water cracking would be renewable.
0 x

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"