Heat wave: decrease in nuclear production

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Christophe

Re: Heat wave: decrease in nuclear production

by Christophe » 13/06/22, 20:00

Do not make your abcile you understood very well!
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 13/06/22, 20:39

We will say that it is dialectical: the instantaneous free kwh costs the same price as the kwh which would not have been produced during the same duration for an equivalent installation... Am I right? : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/06/22, 20:47

Rather not spent... but since the kWh are just in time, yes you're good! 8)
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 13/06/22, 21:38

Janic wrote:
Air conditioning represents approximately 6% of electricity consumption in France; against more than 40% for electric heating.
to which must be added the madness of electric vehicles that operate ALL year round. :frown:

So, for "ceusse" who have not yet fully understood the VE....
The VE, like the VT, is mainly driven during the day. (In general, huh!).

The EV charges especially at night, when there is the least need for juice, when, when you have a "day/night" meter, the price per kWh is lower, because there is less need.
To cover less than 100 km, an EV generally consumes 12 kWh, roughly the same energy "contained" in a liter of fossil fuel.

But a plant, generally, we do not easily, quickly, reduce or increase its production.

I wonder what is the point of commenting on this here....

From 15 EVs, there will undoubtedly be some production questions, especially if we do not maintain our reactors in due time, and many are shut down....
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 13/06/22, 22:26

You describe the situation today. But in ten years it will certainly have changed a lot.
More PV, more wind power, not sure that "off-peak hours" are systematically at night, I imagine that one way or another we will have "dynamic" electricity pricing during the year and days in the year for uses such as VE which can often (but not always) be adapted.
Of course, provided that the number of charging points increases in proportion to the number of EVs, if a situation of relative shortage were to arise, this would be completely false.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 13/06/22, 23:06

Complement: I am talking about "away from home" charging. Which is essential if we want the VE to develop.
Of course, home charging is subject to more "smooth" rates, but not everyone is able to charge at home.
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 14/06/22, 09:34

If more HP, great. More PV means more autonomous house, the day, where it is generally, except WE, not inhabited, in any case much less than the night.
Can be referred to the production of too much product.

I think there will be more charging stations built for residential, low-power, than high-power charging stations.

Apart from exceptions, which of course exist, I will say, for a change, everyone does 50 km max during the day, excluding exceptional travel.

It will take 5-10 kWh from the network to refuel, which it did not have to fill up, because now, often, 200 km are possible.

If there were more expensive one or two day rates, we can get through....
A VE like a VT, does not need to be full to be able to drive.

At night, less business works, so it consumes less, so less need for production....

Fast charging is only really useful for very long journeys, outside the range of the car.

Many EVs can make a round trip of 200 km.

How many days a year, everyone, exceed 200 km?

I have one of my kids who moved away, and now travels 62 km a day to go to work, a 3-4 year old vehicle, 5 fiscal hp... it's costing her a lot.

I don't know the wind figures, but day or night, the production must be about the same ....

In 2019, in the May RTE report, it was said that we could smooth out the consumption peaks, thanks to the EV, which at times could redistribute a few kWh on the networks... (in the years 2025-2030). only makes sense with a large EV fleet....
It was also said that with almost 20% less reactor, we could supply 15 EVs...almost half of the car fleet.
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 14/06/22, 17:45

To return to the subject, according to EDF, the limitations linked to the temperature/flow conditions would lead to a loss of production from the nuclear fleet of 0,3% per year on average.

https://www.edf.fr/la-centrale-nucleair ... ironnement
2 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/06/22, 00:04

So French nuclear power is completely dead in...uh...roughly 200 years? : Mrgreen:

The suites are far...
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 15/06/22, 09:30

Christophe wrote:So French nuclear power is completely dead in...uh...roughly 200 years? : Mrgreen:

The suites are far...

No, my wording is open to interpretation, it's not a sequel. EDF's wording is clearer:
Since 2000, production losses due to high temperature and/or low river flow have represented on average only 0,3% of the park's annual production.
0 x

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"