Exploitation of methane hydrates, here we go! (Chikyu)

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
hic
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by hic » 09/08/12, 08:18

moinsdewatt wrote:
Hic wrote:Hi this forum was misinformed lol

the exploitation of the deposit will be done with a storage of C0²
that will liquefy the methane hydrates on the spot

The largest source of primary energy: Methane hydrates

*** http://www.ledevoir.com/environnement/a ... re-carbone ***

'' '' There are about 20 billion tons of natural gas, 40 billion tons or gigatonnes (Gt) of oil, 540 Gt of coal, but 3000 Gt of methane hydrates! '' '' '

@Hic

well if the forum know.
There is even this thread.

Hello

what do you play

The largest primary energy source is not COAL
as you chat on another forum

I correct!
and you manipulate,
You divert what I say to believe you smarter
javascript: emoticon (': mrgreen:')

what will you do to save the world!
0 x
"Let food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food" Hippocrates
"Everything has a price has no value" Nietzche
Torture for Dummies
Forbid to express the idea that the field is acceleration (magnetic and gravitational)
And you get your patent mental torture option executioner successfully
hic
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by hic » 09/08/12, 08:42

chatelot16 wrote:these methane hydrate are interesting

they are unstable and risk being released in the event of heating, it is not stupid to exploit them usefully rather than to let them get lost

hi chatelot16

How long to consume
3000Gtonnes of methane hydrates
which are 20 times more powerful than CO² on the greenhouse effect?

Do you think this will be enough to "Save the World"? : Mrgreen:
and at what price :(
0 x
"Let food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food" Hippocrates
"Everything has a price has no value" Nietzche
Torture for Dummies
Forbid to express the idea that the field is acceleration (magnetic and gravitational)
And you get your patent mental torture option executioner successfully
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 09/08/12, 10:09

Hic wrote:Do you think this will be enough to "Save the World"? : Mrgreen:and at what price :(

Hello hic
We bow down to your superior intelligence.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 09/08/12, 11:43

I don't pretend to save the world ... but I just want to point out that exploiting methane hydrate is no more stupid than getting out of oil or coal ...

storing CO2 underground does not seem very serious to me: it will come out well

but for if to get out the methane it is necessary to send CO2, the more it will remain blocked at the bottom the better it will be

it also makes me think of shale gas, the exploitation of which is miserably polluting when we take it out with water and detergent ... and if we made it come out with C02

possible pollution of CO2 in the basement! it will make sparkling water! not that serious ...

it doesn't change the main problem! when we have burned too much fossil fuel we will have too much CO2 in the atmosphere: storing CO2 underground seems to me derisory: the only real solution is to increase the green surface of the earth: cultivate the desert, so that photosynthesis enough for our carbon needs
0 x
Napo dwarf
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Napo dwarf » 09/08/12, 12:30

No, just reduce our consumption. Why would we want to conquer lands where ecosystems exist when it is just enough to reduce our needs?

Application of passivhaus standards for new and rehabilitated whatever the scope of the work.
Increase in the electricity tariff to make renewable energies profitable.
Development of our forest reserves
Carbon tax that's what we are already limiting our impact on the environment (from a CO2 point of view)
0 x
Of all those who have nothing to say, the nicest are those who are silent
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 09/08/12, 12:43

Napo dwarf wrote:No, just reduce our consumption. Why would we want to conquer lands where ecosystems exist when it is just enough to reduce our needs?

why say no?

reduce your consumption if you can

the reduction of consumption is essential, but as everyone will not reduce it is necessary to use also all the means possible

reducing consumption in France is not a complete solution, since we have abandoned the manufacturing of what we consume

reducing energy consumption in France, and accusing the Chinese of polluting is a beautiful hypocrisy when we see that they pollute especially to manufacture what we buy from them

if we hadn't demolished our factories we could have modernized them to reduce their consumption! some were already very efficient before being demolished
0 x
Napo dwarf
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Napo dwarf » 09/08/12, 12:48

hence the carbon tax

assessment of the quantity of carbon supply manufacturing shipment
and we tax you will see that some Chinese products will no longer be as competitive.

relocation to europe unemployment in less re-industrialization of Old Europe.
0 x
Of all those who have nothing to say, the nicest are those who are silent
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 09/08/12, 13:09

chatelot16 wrote:storing CO2 underground does not seem very serious to me

Unless it turns into methane hydrates under the action of telluric heat.
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 09/08/12, 15:01

Hic wrote:
moinsdewatt wrote:
Hic wrote:Hi this forum was misinformed lol

the exploitation of the deposit will be done with a storage of C0²
that will liquefy the methane hydrates on the spot

The largest source of primary energy: Methane hydrates

*** http://www.ledevoir.com/environnement/a ... re-carbone ***

'' '' There are about 20 billion tons of natural gas, 40 billion tons or gigatonnes (Gt) of oil, 540 Gt of coal, but 3000 Gt of methane hydrates! '' '' '

@Hic

well if the forum know.
There is even this thread.

Hello

what do you play

The largest primary energy source is not COAL
as you chat on another forum

I correct!
and you manipulate,
You divert what I say to believe you smarter
javascript: emoticon (': mrgreen:')

what will you do to save the world!

Poor pissed off,

first of all it was not me who named the wire on the coal,

and two, methane hydrates are a primary energy source potential which we do not yet know how to prove that we will be able to exploit on a large scale.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/02/13, 10:33

In November 2012, there was a conference on hydrates:
http://www.bulletins-electroniques.com/ ... /71440.htm

At the international conference Falling Walls held on November 9, 2012 in Berlin, Professor Peter Herzig drew public attention to the hidden resources of the seabed. Mr. Herzig is a graduate in geology and director of GEOMAR (Helmholtz Center for Ocean Research in Kiel, Schleswig-Holstein), the German institute equivalent to the French IFREMER. He who often linked marine sciences and economics, wanted to make the public aware of the still poorly understood potential of the seabed in terms of exploitation of natural resources. In fact, these geographic zones contain bacteria as well whose bioactive substances could be useful for the pharmaceutical industry as mineral resources such as gold, and especially energy resources like hydrates of methane.

Definition

A methane hydrate (or methane clathrate) is a compound of organic origin naturally present in the seabed, as well as in the permafrost (ground frozen for at least two consecutive years) of the polar regions. Colloquially referred to as "burning ice", this crystallized compound is flammable. At the molecular level, a methane clathrate is in fact made up of a fine crystal "cage" in which gas is trapped from the decomposition of organic matter relatively recent compared to that generating oil and natural gas.

Resources

Methane clathrates are present in large quantities on the seabed at depths of a few hundred meters. The estimated quantity would be close to 200 billion m3 of gas, i.e. 150 to 700 years of operation. The amount of methane hydrates in the continental reservoir is less well known. The relatively small surface (10 million km2) occupied by the permafrost suggests that it is less than in the oceanic reservoir.

Exploitation

The reserves of methane hydrates are therefore considerable and many oil companies are interested in it. However, the recovery of this compound is difficult and costly (decompression, use of solvent such as methanol, heating, etc.) and the technological difficulties which result therefrom currently seem far from being resolved. In addition, geophysical risks such as landslides are added to operational difficulties. For comparison, the exploitation of shale gas is less complex and cheaper.

Climate consequences

The exploitation of methane hydrates could pose serious problems with regard to the greenhouse effect. Their combustion emits CO2, in addition to the risk that large quantities of methane enter the atmosphere during their exploitation, knowing that the global warming potential of methane is 22 times greater than that of carbon dioxide. However, mining could also be used to sequester carbon, trapping CO2 in crystals to form hydrates of CO2 which would maintain geological stability in the deposits.

International and German politics

The Japanese were the first to launch a research program aimed at determining the energy resources of the country's seabed. The quantity of this resource in the sea around Japan is equivalent to 100 years of national consumption of natural gas. Industrialists have to test hydrate decompression methods at sea, making it possible to fully recover it, this is one of the Japanese JOGMEC's ​​projects.

The German SUGAR project (research and underwater transport of gas hydrates, [1]), launched in the summer of 2008 by the Leibniz Institute for Marine Sciences in Kiel (Schleswig-Holstein), under the supervision of the Federal Ministries of economy and technology (BMWi) and education and research (BMBF) with the support of 30 economic and scientific partners and an initial budget of almost 13 million euros, aims to extract methane marine and to store in its place CO2 captured at the outlet of thermal power plants or other industrial installations.

Germany does not have zones rich in methane hydrates, but it is very interested in developing technologies for exploiting this resource and then associating with countries such as India, Taiwan or South Korea; this is to help them extract the resource optimally and sequester part of the industrial carbon.

Conclusion

The exploitation of these methane hydrates is of a certain complexity, even crippling. However, given the interest of oil companies, based on the growing need of nations for carbon energy, it seems that this resource could be partially exploited in the coming decades. France has significant ocean research equipment and significant expertise in the field (IFREMER) which could be used in the framework of Franco-German projects on the exploitation of methane hydrates.

--

[1] Submarine Gashydrat-Lagerstätten: Erkundung, Abbau und Transport
0 x