EDF has a little trouble getting through the winter

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: EDF has a little trouble getting through the winter

by sicetaitsimple » 18/01/23, 22:47

AD 44 wrote:We were already walking on the nuclear side... it is now hardly better on the gas side.

It is better to manage an overflow than a shortage....
0 x
SebastianL
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by SebastianL » 18/01/23, 23:14

AD 44 wrote:: Shock:

https://www.ouest-france.fr/economie/en ... 413f2d7cce

We were already walking on the nuclear side... it is now hardly better on the gas side.

The idea is to keep the methane in the storage tanks liquid, with cooling taking place by evaporation.
And also a small wave of panic on the gas market which is beginning to admit that Russian gas passes through Turkey and that its scarcity is all relative, so it would be better to sell the stock more quickly than to see the price collapse when was paid for in gold before winter.
Traders... the big announcements, the factory of rumors and reality in correction
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 18/01/23, 23:40

SebastianL wrote:The idea is to keep the methane in the storage tanks liquid, with cooling taking place by evaporation.

Really anything! The storage tanks of the 4 French LNG terminals are only used to adapt the arrival of the LNG ships, inevitably a little random, and their regasification rate which depends on the demand, strong at the moment. They are not "storage", just "tools" allowing the ability to unload an LNG carrier when it arrives.
The real storages are underground storages, in gaseous form, either in aquifers for the inter-seasonal term, or storage in saline cavities, a little more suited to relatively short-term movements.
In France, the vast majority is from the aquifer, storage in spring/summer and destocking during the winter.
0 x
SebastianL
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by SebastianL » 18/01/23, 23:50

sicetaitsimple wrote:
SebastianL wrote:The idea is to keep the methane in the storage tanks liquid, with cooling taking place by evaporation.

Really anything! The storage tanks of the 4 French LNG terminals are only used to adapt the arrival of the LNG ships, inevitably a little random, and their regasification rate which depends on the demand, strong at the moment. They are not "storage", just "tools" allowing the ability to unload an LNG carrier when it arrives.
The real storages are underground storages, in gaseous form, either in aquifers for the inter-seasonal term, or storage in saline cavities, a little more suited to relatively short-term movements.
In France, the vast majority is from the aquifer, storage in spring/summer and destocking during the winter.

Explain to us this "technical" need to unload our gas storage when the primary interest is to keep it for next winter
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 19/01/23, 00:08

SebastianL wrote:Explain to us this "technical" need to unload our gas storage when the primary interest is to keep it for next winter

You have to ask GRT Gaz..
Personally, I have only one explanation, which is that the contracts already signed by the various importers for the period between now and let's say summer are greater in volume than the forecast consumption plus the available storage capacity. .
Once again, it is better to manage a surplus than a shortage. LNG carriers can always be diverted to another destination.
0 x
SebastianL
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by SebastianL » 19/01/23, 12:53

sicetaitsimple wrote:You have to ask GRT Gaz..
Personally, I have only one explanation, which is that the contracts already signed by the various importers for the period between now and let's say summer are greater in volume than the forecast consumption plus the available storage capacity. .
Once again, it is better to manage a surplus than a shortage. LNG carriers can always be diverted to another destination.

this is understood as a reason, I find a way to invoke the "technical" reason in this case
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 19/01/23, 13:46

SebastianL wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:You have to ask GRT Gaz..

this is understood as a reason, I find a way to invoke the "technical" reason in this case

That's why I told you to ask GRT Gaz, there are certainly also technical reasons but I don't know them.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 19/01/23, 14:39

sicetaitsimple wrote:
SebastianL wrote:It is true that it is a beautiful mess this market price:

You're very kind, but at some point you have to find a certain consistency at the level of the complete system, [•••] on the market prices [•••] fixed by a stock exchange which, perhaps imperfectly, fixes a price resulting from supply and demand at a given moment, or we return to monopolistic systems

Above all, there is a moment when you have to get out of the "virtual mess" that the operators have created.

"monopolistic" where are you? It is indeed this situation on which the vultures who have appropriated the 'nuclear deposit' are betting to present a business model, profitability based on artefacts of short-term profits (pejorative for the long-term economy) that we pay today! It is with such inconsistencies that certain energy resources have been declared inexhaustible, such as "unprofitable".

In reality, the doctrine is not that one... it is the security of the energy supply that takes precedence, but it is there to serve the end user... No speculators, damn it!
. You have to come back down to earth. Right now, simple fluctuations are ruining households and businesses, excessive costs are causing fragile people to die because they can't keep warm — it's the dictatorship of reality — but you're talking to us about the stock market and the theoretical model which you know is fueled by speculation (or worse)! Do you think your position is tenable?
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 19/01/23, 15:13

But keskidi?
First, I would have to quote myself completely:
"either we have a very short-term marginal price set by a stock exchange which, perhaps imperfectly, sets a price resulting from supply and demand at a given moment, or we return to monopolistic systems where it is the monopoly operator, regulated by the State, who says what is the right price for electricity delivered on such a day and at such a time of the year.
And then, the "monopoly" system would suit me very well, no need to sue me.
I was only describing the two really possible alternatives, knowing that the first can only work with real competition at the production level, not with the imitation competition set up with the so-called "alternative" suppliers who produce nothing and ARENH, which only leads to losses in the system's efficiency and the plundering of the real added value, which is essentially in production.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 19/01/23, 15:32

It would be well to reflect, to innovate, not to make short-sighted reasoning. Unless you are there to do the therapeutic relentlessness of a system in the process of screwing up. At the moment a lot of things are leading to disaster... Who is it again? It was not McKinsey who offered very expensive "turnkey solutions", saying "there is no way to do otherwise" :?: (Precisely the pseudo solutions which increase the indebtedness of the state, and which led us to where we are now, because previously we became captives of a speculative system free of room for maneuver) I am told at the earpiece that more flexibility will cost more, at least initially, this is not contradictory with >90% of the building stock to be thermally insulated!
0 x