very important discovery Methane Hydrate in China

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
carburologue
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

very important discovery Methane Hydrate in China

by carburologue » 24/10/09, 13:37

what do you think of that ???
an estimate says they would have discovered the equivalent of 225 billion barrels of oil ...
others proclaim loudly that it would pollute 25 times more than conventional methane ...
And assuming they have the technique to extract this gas, would it need other factories to get to turn it into oil or can this be achieved via conventional factories ???
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 24/10/09, 20:24

Hello can you quote your sources to find out where these methane hydrates are ... At sea? Under ice?
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
carburologue
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by carburologue » 24/10/09, 20:37

http://www.rfi.fr/actufr/articles/118/article_85754.asp

is that the pipo, I do not know but he speaks of official press so ...
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 27/10/09, 11:26

so lower the price at the pump? =)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/10/09, 11:27

Do we know how to "harvest" these hydrates?
0 x
carburologue
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by carburologue » 31/10/09, 10:40

Christophe wrote:Do we know how to "harvest" these hydrates?

I suppose yes since the gas is trapped in ice ... now is there a viable method, I do not know but in another article, I read that they had extracted a quantity of 5 kg as sample ... how ... I do not know, but it must be feasible otherwise I do not see the point of talking about it ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/10/09, 11:34

Oh you know the paperbacks ... they like to chat ...

When I say we "know" I meant "properly and on a large scale" and without releasing 50% of the methane to the atmosphere ...
0 x
diablotruc
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by diablotruc » 31/10/09, 19:36

Hello everyone,

There are already more than 10 years that I have heard about methane hydrate or Methane Clathrate and if my memories are faithful, I remember that the global reserves of this energy are considerable. (At least as important as the accumulated oil and coal) and that they are mostly around the American continent.

Like oil, its combustion gives rise to the famous CO2 greenhouse gas. So if our elected officials are able to extract it from oil, which is not unlikely, it is not won for the planet.

Some problems related to Clathrates:

One of the methods to extract them is to heat the ice to melt it and release the methane it contains with the risk of creating pockets that may escape and leave the atmosphere (Methane is a gas to more potent greenhouse effect than CO2)

Another risk (always of memory) is that a bad handling risks to provoke a reaction in chain, thus a mega explosion of a bench of this carbo ice with the creation of a devastating tsunami. By the way (at the time), I had seen excerpts from a film being made on this subject. Terrorists had hijacked an extraction platform and had accidentally exploded the marine reserve, resulting in the flooding of part of England ... But I have never seen this film?

I had also heard that the warming of a few degrees of the oceans had consequences on the melting of these ice and therefore an acceleration of global warming ...

Still in the gas, those in my stomach remind me that it's time to sit down for a good plate of homemade pesto pasta; -)
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 31/10/09, 21:11

So obviously, the exploitation of this methane, will be dangerous ... :?

There is therefore a parallel to be made with, the methane that emerges en masse from all corners of the planet that is warming up and this-including- at sea .... : Mrgreen:

If it is £ μ% * § # ² of Chinese tackling this, will not it be even more dangerous since placed at high altitude? :?:

Long live the natives of the country of Songtsen Gampo the all-powerful :D

Meow :P
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu
"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?
One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 01/11/09, 13:18

Indeed, methane hydrates are relatively unstable.
Minimal pressure or temperature variations cause them to disintegrate and release methane.
Methane releases take place in the Arctic Ocean (source), evidence that warming 1 or 2 ° C can cause damage with a disastrous runaway.
Some speculate that the disappearance of some ships in the famous Bermuda Triangle may be related to the breakage of these clathrates by the pressure wave of the ship causing a chain reaction and the sudden rise of bubbles. The seawater is transformed into foam on which the ship can not float and disappears without leaving traces.
In short, for me, in the current state of things, trying to exploit the methane hydrates is like wanting to roll a nitroglycerin solex with its full tank of nitro and on a paved street ...
Crazy and dangerous ...
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"