Diesel fuel: tankers overcharge their margin

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Christophe

Diesel fuel: tankers overcharge their margin

by Christophe » 07/06/08, 16:04

Given their absolute margin, the excuse of the underfining capacity is laughable ... it is even pathetic ...

The truth about the price of diesel: 47% of the increase is due to the explosion of the refining margins of the oil companies!

The current period is marked by a historical phenomenon: the tax-free price of diesel is rising much faster than that of gasoline to such an extent that, despite its fiscal advantage, diesel now costs almost as much as the super 95. This trend is explained by the phenomenal growth in the refining margin achieved specifically on diesel (1).

UFC-Que Choisir has calculated that, on a liter of diesel sold, the refining margin in May represents 15,7 cents. It stood at 6,4 cents in January 2008, 6,0 cents in 2007 and 2,5 cents in 1998. The increase in the refining margin alone accounts for almost half (47%) of the increase in the price of diesel since January.

This margin, which measures the refiner's remuneration for its costs and profits, was therefore multiplied by 2,4 in 4 months and by more than 6 in ten years! Conversely, the refining margin on petrol remains in its usual levels of 2 to 4 cents per liter.

This phenomenon is independent of the rise in the price of a barrel. It is explained by the tension which exists on the European market of the refining of diesel and which is maintained by oil companies.

On the one hand, demand for diesel is experiencing relative growth because the French and Europeans favor this type of engine. On the other hand, the oil companies have under-invested in refining capacities, particularly for the category of middle distillates which concerns diesel. In the end, supply did not adapt to demand, the market is very tense and the price is soaring.

For UFC-Que Choisir, oil companies bear heavy responsibility for raising diesel prices. By not investing in refining, they have created a rationing mechanism that explodes their profit in this segment and that inflates the price for consumers. The prospects are not very attractive since the investments to come relate mainly to upgrading to standards and not to the creation of new capacity.

The UFC-Que Choisir asks the government that during the French presidency of the European Union, the question be asked of a revival, if necessary binding, of investments in European refining.

Finally, it goes without saying that the excessive profits made on the refining of diesel only further justify the relevance of an exceptional contribution from the oil companies.

(1): This margin is the difference between the price of a barrel of brent and the price of diesel on the Rotterdam market.

Source: http://www.quechoisir.org
0 x
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by martien007 » 07/06/08, 18:48

Well here it is: with a cheap diesel and new efficient and low-consumption engines, they have drawn 80% of French motorists into the trap (absolute world record I think) and now the oil companies find the pretext for the lack of refining and problem of the law of supply and demand.

it's going to be very difficult to back off now; there is going to be an impressive amount of diesel vehicles on the used market.

I think it may still be profitable given the low consumption of diesels, but here I am perhaps getting a little ahead.
0 x
georges100
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by georges100 » 07/06/08, 19:00

in the history the leaders of the oil companies admit that they are incompetent and incapable .....
but instead of firing them we increase them : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/06/08, 20:05

+2

The only one able to quickly reverse the trend would be ... States by lowering taxes ... but they have always been accomplices of oil companies.

But then the next speech of sarko (phage) who will talk about purchasing power will deserve all my ... hate ...

On the other hand, an expensive fuel encourages you to drive less, but in many cases you don't drive by choice ...

In short, we are indeed in a new feudal order ... the sei (ai?) Managers have just changed their look ...

See: https://www.econologie.com/eric-laurent- ... -2883.html
0 x
georges100
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by georges100 » 07/06/08, 20:24

there would be an easy solution ....
prohibit the resale of tanker shipments ... that would prevent speculation ...
from port to port, the crude on board changes hands and prices several times ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/06/08, 20:32

Oh yeah not stupid you want to question capitalism ... well we must not have the same notion of "easy" ...

And then the problem is not (that) the price of crude but the price of diesel in refinery output ...
0 x
georges100
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by georges100 » 07/06/08, 20:47

it's easy already by applying the law : Cheesy:
when a boat leaves the golf course the owner of the cargo and the port of destination is on his papers, if he delivers to another his papers are false ...

the price of diesel is another problem, it is due to the incompetence of the companies, it would be enough to prick the profits generated and the problem is solved in 3 months : Cheesy:

something amazes me .... during the last war we used an impressive tonnage of bombs without ever cutting gasoline production, just slowing it down .... but to change production in peacetime it would take years .....
0 x
bobono
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Diesel vehicle fuel prices

by bobono » 07/06/08, 20:49

On average two cars per household.

20 km per vehicle * 000 liters per hundred = 5 liters

1000 * 2 = = 2000 liters

Gas oil for boilers - the dye = Diesel vehicle

Average consumption of a pavilion = 5000 liters per year

Morality = Make a huge effort in insulation, replacement of boiler to reduce its 5000 liters of fuel.

The swimming pools, gymnasiums etc of the cities heated with pink must be replaced by other energy like wood chips etc.

Diesel should only be used for transport.

I know the crude is not yet two hundred dollars.
0 x
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by martien007 » 08/06/08, 12:21

If it is domestic fuel that drives up the price of diesel, it should start to fall because consumption is necessarily lower in spring and summer!

So your reasoning does not work: I think that the consumption of road transport (trucks, coaches, cars) and maritime is not negligible compared to the consumption of home heating. which does not mean that nothing should be done to insulate the habitat.

On the other hand, heating swimming pools and public places is a pure aberration; some well-placed solar collectors, particularly in southern countries, should be compulsory for campsites, swimming pools, etc. when Maitre Soleil is there.
0 x
SixK
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by SixK » 08/06/08, 13:27

2007 Chairman of Total before the shareholders:
Total made a turnover (I say turnover, but I don't know if it's not the net margin) ofbarely 12 Billion Euro ...

The next shareholders' meeting should not be any longer, I am voting for a turnover a little disappointing from just 30 billion euros ....

SixK
Last edited by SixK the 08 / 06 / 08, 13: 52, 1 edited once.
0 x