Deuterium and nuclear fusion

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 24/09/08, 17:30

Magnetic compression power plant project: tiny compared to ITER!

0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 25/09/08, 21:40

The above drawing has been copied to
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrale_% ... inertielle
At the time for me, it seems that Sandia is interested in the production of electricity by nuclear fusion.
Here is the legend:
The figure represents a sectional view of a reactor as Sandia imagines it, knowing that a production plant would include several reactors of this type (12 in the ZP-3 demonstration plant, 10 of which operate simultaneously). To use the analogy used above, such a design corresponds to the multiple cylinders of an internal combustion engine.
Without going into technical details (readers wishing more precise information can find them in the various links listed at the end of the article), we can distinguish the following:
* The red triangular device called "cartridge" corresponds to the microcapsule fuel assembly, "wire cage" and energy supply device; the cartridges are transported inside the reactor by an automatic supply system which includes the rail visible in the upper part of the image;
* the thick blue horizontal line (transmission lines to pulsed power driver), tangent to the reaction chamber, is the power supply line, making it possible to transmit extremely short and powerful pulses [11], kinds of "lightning discharges" ”, Necessary for the process of magnetic necking;
* the reactor chamber is filled with an inert gas (to avoid any undesirable chemical reaction) under low pressure (20 torr, the normal atmospheric pressure being 760 torr);
* the internal wall of the reactor chamber is traversed by a stream of flib (liquid mixture of lithium fluoride and beryllium difluoride) intended to protect it, to recover fusion energy, and to produce tritium [12] ;
* a system for recovering the reaction waste from the "pool" of flibe makes it possible to recycle the elements of the cartridges, destroyed during the fusion of the microcapsules.

Hydrogen-boron fuel is not mentioned, nor is the direct capture of radiation by coils. But this drawing still gives a little idea of ​​what could be the configuration of this kind of power plant.
Last edited by Cuicui the 25 / 09 / 08, 22: 50, 1 edited once.
0 x
Bibiphoque
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bibiphoque » 26/09/08, 08:37

0 x
This is not because we always said that it is impossible that we should not try :)
C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Deuterium and nuclear fusion

by C moa » 26/09/08, 14:24

cuicui wrote:At the time for me, it seems that Sandia is interested in the production of electricity by nuclear fusion.
So you see I told you !!! : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
C moa wrote:
cuicui wrote:- The hydrogen-boron fusion will never be perfected, the reaction will never be modeled, no prototype will be released, there will be no industrialization as long as the entire research budget will remain dedicated to ITER and MEGAJOULE ( military).
Honestly I hope you're wrong because it would be a shame to cut yourself off from a track. Personally I think that work is in progress on the subject but probably not in Europe (we can't be everywhere). It is not because we hear nothing that nothing is done.

In general, I know that the world of fusion is very small and that exchanges are between the teams so ... wait and see.
In summary, I am happy to see that several fusion solutions are being studied. If one does not succeed, we will have may be a spare tire.
Thank you for continuing to dig deeper into the subject and to keep us informed of progress.
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Deuterium and nuclear fusion

by Cuicui » 26/09/08, 19:27

C moa wrote:In summary, I am happy to see that several fusion solutions are being studied. If one does not succeed, we will have may be a spare tire.

Hello C moa
I do not share your optimism. At the risk of repeating myself (but I don't care, I will repeat as many times as necessary, I'm not yet tired) I denounce the fact France invests enormously in ITER which is probably a technological dead end, and not at all in a prototype of a power station with magnetic necking, cheaper, less complex, less polluting, and which therefore allows to hope for an electricity production in a better time. I think this choice is disastrous.
Given that the obstacle is not financial, what do you think could be the reason for this problem? And what do you suggest to remedy it?
Last edited by Cuicui the 03 / 11 / 08, 18: 23, 2 edited once.
0 x
Bibiphoque
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bibiphoque » 29/09/08, 07:55

Hello,
The question of beryllium shields is, in my opinion, not taken enough into account, when we know the toxic properties of this element. (for ITER)
@+
0 x
This is not because we always said that it is impossible that we should not try :)
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 01/10/08, 10:54

According http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... al_Reactor , ITER seeks to achieve the controlled deuterium-tritium fusion.
Deuterium can be extracted from seawater at a reasonable price ($ 2000 / kg).
In contrast, tritium is a highly toxic and very expensive artificial product: $ 30 per gram.
When ITER is in operation, it will be able to transform lithium into tritium. When we know that deuterium + tritium are also the fuel for H bombs, we understand the interest of the military in an installation like ITER capable of producing tritium.
Recall that another chasm for finance, MEGAJOULE, is a military program seeking to use lasers to initiate the deuterium-tritium fusion in H bombs. Furthermore, since the discovery of the high temperatures obtained by the z-machine from Sandia lab , the army reactivated SPHYNX, the French z-machine from Gramat, to study how this principle can also be used as a match on H bombs.
Conclusion: with ITER which produces the fuel and the MEGAJOULE or SPHYNX technique which causes the explosion, thermonuclear bombs have a bright future ahead of them, with all the necessary credits. Of course, it is with our money and we have nothing to say.
What about producing electricity with clean hydrogen-boron fusion at a ridiculous price? No interest for the army, therefore no credits, and the interests of the oil lobby and the fission of uranium are preserved.
Last edited by Cuicui the 01 / 10 / 08, 21: 43, 3 edited once.
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 01/10/08, 19:27

Drawing from ITER, after http://www.iter.org/

Compare with the z-machine ...

0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 24/10/08, 23:10

MEGAJOULE: military research, with our taxes. And still nothing regarding the study of a nuclear power plant (hydrogen-boron fusion) at z-pinch.

0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 24/10/08, 23:49

Hi Cuicui,

Pharaonic projects indeed and not relevant to common sense. :|
0 x

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"