Criticism of the current electricity market, inconsistency and prospective for renewable energies

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Criticism of the current electricity market, inconsistency and prospective for renewables

by sicetaitsimple » 05/01/23, 20:46

SebastianL wrote:I want to laugh at myself, but I would prefer to have an indication of my "error" so funny, that I also take advantage of my stupidity!

Well, start by not mixing sentences copied from any site (moreover relatively rotten, https://www.ametektest.fr/learningzone/ ... -de-fluage ) with your own rantings, suggesting that it is by the same author.
You discovered the creep today, it's already good.
0 x
SebastianL
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Re: Criticism of the current electricity market, inconsistency and prospective for renewables

by SebastianL » 05/01/23, 21:00

No, I'm not discovering the creep today but it's true that you surprised me with this problem.
I looked for the "code" tag to quote the site in question but I should have used the quote tag provided for this purpose, you have my apologies
0 x
SebastianL
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by SebastianL » 05/01/23, 21:04

The real question is, is there a material that can withstand 1000°C at 1000bar in steam to make the heating body and the Laval nozzle, because after that we find a reasonable level of temperature and pressure? .

What would happen in the steam system, if we injected liquid Co2 at the start, and arriving at the condenser, we sucked it in and then liquefied it to close the cycle? A serious acidity problem?
Last edited by SebastianL the 05 / 01 / 23, 21: 15, 1 edited once.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 05/01/23, 21:11

Here, gift, in a little more serious.
https://moodle.insa-rouen.fr/pluginfile ... liages.pdf
With a numerical example (aeronautical) where we show that an increase in the operating temperature of 20°C translates into a reduction in the time to rupture in creep of two thirds of its value at 650°C

Ah, it's nerd, 20°C more (for the same alloy) = 2/3 less lifespan.....
And it's not steel to shoe donkeys....
2 x
SebastianL
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by SebastianL » 05/01/23, 21:43

sicetaitsimple wrote:Here, gift, in a little more serious.
With a numerical example (aeronautical) where we show that an increase in the operating temperature of 20°C translates into a reduction in the time to rupture in creep of two thirds of its value at 650°C

It's very interresting but it seems that the creep concerns especially the rupture with the traction, in particular of the turbines.
In our "static" case, we mainly operate in compression, a little in traction and the stress of the materials depends on its thickness
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 05/01/23, 21:54

SebastianL wrote:In our case, we work in compression only

Oh yes? The pipes, exchangers, ... which allow the steam to be brought to 1000° and 1000bar work in compression?
You have to take the time to make us a diagram with some characteristic values. If I understood correctly from one of your posts, you live in the West Indies or around this longitude. That leaves you a little day, we'll find out after our night!
0 x
SebastianL
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by SebastianL » 05/01/23, 22:30

sicetaitsimple wrote:
SebastianL wrote:In our case, we work in compression only

Oh yes? The pipes, exchangers, ... which allow the steam to be brought to 1000° and 1000bar work in compression?
You have to take the time to make us a diagram with some characteristic values. If I understood correctly from one of your posts, you live in the West Indies or around this longitude. That leaves you a little day, we'll find out after our night!

According to what I have in mind and the reality that this piece is going to be very complicated to manufacture, I think we can assume that it will be 3D printing like Elon Musk with his raptors.

this means that the steam generator and the laval nozzle is limited in size by the 3D printing machine.
By keeping the concentric design, which seems optimal to me, in the centre, there would be many GVs with a Laval nozzle, for each sector of our concentric design. Towards the end of the Laval nozzle, where there is a sufficiently low dynamic pressure to suck in liquid water at 70 bars, this liquid water could "sweat" in the nozzle, the interior of which would be porous.
At the end of each Laval nozzle, we attack the suction of steam at 285°C on static fins which continue to convert our kinetic energy into temperature, until we reach a stable state (static pressure/dynamic pressure) at 500 °C 70bar.

What brings the heat to 1000°c is the zinc vapor at 5bar and we leave at 500°c

So the limiting factor would be the materials coming out of the 3D printer. If Elon Musk "stays" at 300bar, it's probably for good reasons.
Otherwise, yes I am in the islands, warm, but in the Pacific!
0 x
NCSH
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by NCSH » 05/01/23, 23:16

sicetaitsimple wrote:Here, gift, in a little more serious.

Still, 650°C, in aviation, was the temperature of the first reactors in the 40s...
800°C for the first Inconel in the late 40s.

Since then, this has increased a lot: the generation of the SNECMA M88, developed in the 80s/90s for the Rafale, already reached 1600°C, public data.
For civilian reactors, it was then 1300.

Most major engine manufacturers are currently developing a generation of civil reactors reaching 50%.

Obviously, this kind of info on behavior under creep with such temperatures is an industrial secret.

But these advanced alloys may become accessible for future combined cycles with entry temperatures of 1/250°C, or even more.
0 x
To discover the parallel universe of non-fossil carbon energy carriers, take the time to browse (15 min) the website NCSH : http://www.ncsh.eu/language/fr/energie-et-matiere/
SebastianL
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by SebastianL » 05/01/23, 23:28

Concerning the injection of water at the end of the Laval tuyere, "sweating" is not the right approach.
If we imagine a ball of liquid water, zero speed and crossed by a flow of steam at high speed, and even at a lower temperature than the liquid water to be evaporated:
To accelerate the ball in the direction of the flow, there is a strong depression which is created behind the ball and it is the place of the evaporation which converts kinetic energy into thermal energy necessary for the evaporation.

So I think multiple small jets of liquid water towards the center of the nozzle is best.
0 x
SebastianL
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by SebastianL » 05/01/23, 23:46

And to add a last principle to thermodynamics, a law predicts that if we use Elon Musk too much in his theory then the entropy is necessarily too great to be truly exploitable. : Cheesy:
0 x

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"