Improved efficiency electrolysis of water by 2.6 to 4.5

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
jean.caissepas
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Improved efficiency electrolysis of water by 2.6 to 4.5

by jean.caissepas » 23/07/14, 23:16

Hello,

of EPFL researchers found a solution concerning the electrodes: Exfoliation

line: http://www.enerzine.com/603/17528+le-stockage-de-lenergie-renouvelable-bientot-rentable+.html

Good reading...
0 x
Past habits must change,
because the future must not die.
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 24/07/14, 14:10

blah, i don't even understand what they're talking about

classic electrolysis with nickel-plated iron electrode and caustic potash gives 80% efficiency with inexpensive equipment: it is therefore available without inventing anything ... but electricity is not yet expensive enough for it to be useful, but it will come

for the storage of electricity, the simple lead battery gives a better yield than the electrolysis then the fuel cell ... there too it is available, just barely too expensive, but in a short time it will become profitable to store electricity in lead battery factories

on an individual scale the batteries are expensive and of limited lifespan, but at the scale of a factory made for that, the lead is used eternally to rebuild new plates in the storage factory
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 24/07/14, 15:30

A priori (although the article is not really clear), it is not electrolysis, but a catalyzed dissociation of water (under the action, I suppose, of light).

And the researchers improved the performance by reducing the catalyst to "nanosheets".

The big drawback of this process is that it produces a very dangerous oxygen-hydrogen mixture to store (already that pure hydrogen is dangerous ...).
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 24/07/14, 15:38

if it is to use light as a source of energy, it already exists! photosynthesis ! and instead of making a good oxygen hydrogen mixture, it also captures CO2 from the air to make biomass easy to store ... and even edible!

Another advantage of photosynthetic solar collectors: they grow on their own!
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 24/07/14, 20:00

It is not about electrolysis but about photolysis.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 24/07/14, 20:08

Another advantage of photosynthetic solar collectors: they grow on their own!

From an economic point of view, this is a big disadvantage!
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
navel
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by navel » 23/08/14, 23:34

For electrolysis, there are new compounds for the electrodes: http://news.stanford.edu/news/2014/august/splitter-clean-fuel-082014.html
nickel-metal / nickel-oxide mixture ...
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 25/08/14, 16:33

I refer you to all that has been said on these forums and many others about Meyer's cell.

It appeared that the yield was significantly improved by the preparation of the electrodes, that is to say, in fact making them "dendritic" by electro-oxidation.
Which also brings us back to things that have been said about the close contact of hydrogen with highly fragmented nickel (Piantelli, Rossi and all the others)

From there to return to the old ideas of increasing the efficiency of combustion of internal combustion engines by injecting a SUFFICIENT amount of HHO, there is only one step.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"