Waste, the nuclear nightmare, a show to see ...

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 04/11/09, 10:48

the true scientists of the last century are dead, the others are not independent, the science is today industrial and will tend to be rejected by the public who sees that it plays against with new technologies, drugs etc ... sad fate.

where independents are?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/11/09, 10:52

jonule wrote:Loù are independent?

In front of you !!! : Idea:
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 04/11/09, 15:23

Yes;

but I think much CRIIRAD for radiation and CRIIGEN for GMOs;
if I think it's because I'm not being given the necessary means to supposedly control bodies to be truly independent.

if the Authority of Nuclear Safety was doing its job, there would not be all these accidents finally all the same!

me it kills me that it not work, I questioned the security law transparency and corruption of this lobby, I see no autrmement, except that it is only fools that engineers are all fired and qyu'il n 'there that the Slovak subcontracting that does not read the user manual?
do not push ...

Bright independent!
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 06/06/10, 16:34

The new edition of the National materials management plan and radioactive waste was presented last Friday (4juin 2010).

http://www.asn.fr/index.php/S-informer/Actualites/2010/Plan-National-de-Gestion-des-Matieres-et-des-Dechets-Radioactifs
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Addrelyn
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Addrelyn » 21/07/10, 16:33

I just read about it. Many (all?) Information is wrong there. (I already feel that I expose myself to some reviews)

I would just like to update you on the management of reprocessed uranium (what you mistakenly call "the waste that is sent to Russia").

bases:
The fuel element which fall within the plants are (on average) composed of 96% of U238 and 4% of U235.
When they come out and are retired in La Hague, they contain (on average) 94% U 235 & 238; 1% Plutonium; 5% fission products and minor actinides.
They are used as fuel in nuclear fission (average) 18 months.
They are then stored (on average) 3ans in this pool in each reactor in France to reduce their activity.

What happens in The Hague
The uranium, minor actinides and fission products and plutonium are separated. I am interested just uranium for the future.
Uranium is allors called reprocessing of uranium and contains about 1% of U235. It also contains traces of U234 & 236, two other isotopes of uranium. (This is important later)

The enrichment of uranium in France
Until about 2012, enrichment technology in France is gaseous diffusion. Not to dwell, uranium enters one side of the factory with 0.7% of U235 and spring a month later with 4% of U235. There is permanently about 1500 tons of Uranium being enriched in the plant.
The problem with this technique is that if we put reprocessing Uranium in the plant, it will be "polluted" by U234 & 236 and cleaning it would require emptying it (therefore stopping it for months). France has therefore decided to enrich its reprocessed uranium abroad, in Russia in this case, one of the two countries which has the enrichment technology by centrifugation (Tenex company) which is much more flexible (for more explanation on enrichment by centrifugation, I'll do another post because it's long to explain). (France will have this technology in 2012 in the George Besse 2 factory)

The way (?) Of uranium in Russia
Here is the contract: we send the reprocessed uranium to Russia, where it is re-enriched. Tenex returns the enriched uranium to France and retains the reprocessing uranium tails which contain> 0.3% U235.
I'm getting a doubt that DU remains the property of EDF even if stored in Russia. I will check on that.
This to 0.3% Depleted uranium is further operable in Fast Breeder Reactors. There will be reused when the price of natural uranium will increase enough to make it profitable.

My source is a former director of EDF in fuel therefore reliable.
0 x
Aumicron
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Aumicron » 27/07/10, 17:17

beautiful presentation Addrelyn.

I'm getting a doubt that DU remains the property of EDF even if stored in Russia. I will check on that.

Have you an answer to your question?
0 x
To argue.
Remundo

by Remundo » 02/08/10, 11:56

Ownership of who or what, I can not tell you.

Indeed, the Russians return enriched Uranium, but keep most of the U238 almost pure.

They reactors able to swallow them: enceinture disposed around reactor neutron emitting a fraction of these U238 become Pu239.

A great thing for plants Pu239 and ... bombinettes.

@+
0 x
Addrelyn
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Addrelyn » 02/08/10, 15:05

No, not yet, but it will not be long ...

For the Remundo bombinettes, it would surprise me very much because the Russians are very involved in research on the RNR precisely to get rid of all the Pu accumulated in their astronomical amounts of bombinettes. In addition, their reactors already produce a lot. The Russians in my opinion will make the RNR but will not use a breeder!
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 02/08/10, 15:47

Addrelyn wrote:No, not yet, but it will not be long ...

For the Remundo bombinettes, it would surprise me very much because the Russians are very involved in research on the RNR precisely to get rid of all the Pu accumulated in their astronomical amounts of bombinettes. In addition, their reactors already produce a lot. The Russians in my opinion will make the RNR but will not use a breeder!

It seems to me that the "French exports" to Russia have ceased, the news did not make much noise.
Twenty reactors operate with MOX in France it seems to me ... and it cost us it seems an arm.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Addrelyn
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Addrelyn » 02/08/10, 15:53

The enrichment contract with Russia effectively ended this year (cétait planned from the beginning is there 40 years or something like that ...)
It is not renewed because in about two years, France will be able to do what was Russia for us GB2 (George Besse 2).

Twenty reactors operate with MOX in France it seems to me ... and it cost us it seems an arm.

Really?
Can I have your source?
0 x

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"