Nuclear, CO2 and plutonium, uranium, cesium?

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 31/10/08, 16:09

Our society is at an important crossroads: should plutonium be used on a large scale as fuel in atomic reactors, thus leading us to a plutonium economy on a global scale ?; or should plutonium be treated as hazardous waste with a high degree of risk to world security, and therefore it should be eliminated by halting all production of plutonium and by isolating and closely monitoring what has been already created?

When the fuel rods (or bundles) are put in place in an atomic reactor, they become very radioactive due to the accumulation of plutonium and other radioactive substances. From the start of the nuclear era, supporters of the nuclear path considered plutonium as the fuel of the future, dreaming of recycling the plutonium from the waste of irradiated fuel rods [also called spent fuel, ie the fuel which leaves a reactor when one has drawn the maximum of energy from it]. So-called breeder reactors have been built in France, Japan and the United States, with the aim of producing large quantities of plutonium, but serious accidents have forced all these countries to restrict their breeder programs.

The extraction of plutonium from the waste of irradiated fuel rods is a dangerous and excessively polluting activity. In the XNUMXs, reprocessing of spent fuel rods was carried out at two different AECL facilities at Chalk River. Both had to be closed due to accidents involving large spills of radioactive material into the environment. These facilities and the contaminants that result from them have never been cleaned. AECL therefore built another reprocessing plant to separate plutonium from used fuel waste and then export it to the United States for the production of atomic weapons. Reservoirs filled with highly radioactive liquid waste are still there, posing a significant decontamination challenge.

Eighty percent of the plutonium existing today is immobilized in the used fuel routinely produced in nuclear reactors.

France, Russia and Great Britain are reprocessing used fuel in order to chemically separate plutonium from the other highly radioactive substances found there. This process is used for military reasons, namely obtaining the raw material for atomic bombs. It is also used for non-military purposes: the plutonium thus separated may one day be used as fuel in nuclear power plants. About twenty percent of the plutonium on the globe is in this separate form. Once separated from other substances forming used fuel, plutonium can be more easily handled, stolen, transported or stored.

Public health and environmental hazards

The alpha radiation emitted by plutonium has only a very short range. This is the reason why, in certain cases, it can be handled and stored without having to resort to too bulky radiological protection screens. Take, for example, a small amount of plutonium in the vicinity of a human being: most of the energy emitted by the plutonium would collide on the outer, non-living surface of the skin (assuming that '' there are no open wounds and no plutonium particles are aspirated).

If, on the other hand, if one or more particles of plutonium were sucked up, they could go to lodge in the sensitive tissues of the lungs, causing a lot of biological damage. When drawn into the lungs, a few milligrams of plutonium is enough to cause death in the months that follow. A much smaller amount can also lead to fatal lung cancer many years later. For this reason, plutonium is considered to be one of the most carcinogenic known substances ever produced by humans.

source:
http://www.cnp.ca/sn/questions/plutonium-bkfr.html
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 31/10/08, 16:20

0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 31/10/08, 17:01

It's a shame this dead end ping pong dialogue and, I must say, this peremptory tone that you take Jonule, that's not how we interest readers in a cause.
I appreciate your look at nuclear power, but this kind of verbal battle only scares the reader away from him rather than attracting his attention.

You are undoubtedly an enthusiast but you have to know how to channel your energy (no pun intended) to stay on the essentials.
Glad you came back with us.
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 31/10/08, 18:27

0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 31/10/08, 21:31

I appreciate the whole side of Jonule and am happy to read her posts 8)

I can only say, that I think the same as you, little brother and that if I became the "master of the world", I would have this crap taken apart and sent to the far reaches of the most distant galaxies with a word of apologies to our distant neighbors for the poisoned gift.

As far as nuclear "deterrence" goes, I find it lamentable that this is the only trick humans have found to stay in peace.
That says a lot about the very short-sighted vision of which they are capable and the little that they make of life on this pretty planet, which is the earth!

They do not deserve it and I come to wish that they will be swept away by it as one gets rid of an not honest virus.

I put the word deterrence in quotes because I don't believe it! Why build nuclear shelters if you're so afraid of the (terrifying) effects of your crap bombs? To make children believe that the rich idiots of Amerloques, that radiation will be "over" in 20 years? And come out of his cave shelters to stand out in a frozen, poisoned world and dying of radiation crap?

I say that people who wish to survive this horror programmed by sick brains are even crazier than the creators of this nameless shit… and infinitely unaware of what it would be like a life of 20 years of imprisonment in a prison tomb, without natural light without trees, without flowers, without fresh air, with assholes of their species!
I am ready to bet that they would still make war in their holes for a piece of bread or the graceful ass of the daughter of their own brother….

Lietseu the "son of heaven" who is very angry, but continues to hope against all hope ...
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu
"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?
One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 03/11/08, 11:33

bham wrote:It's a shame this dead end ping pong dialogue and, I must say, this peremptory tone that you take Jonule, that's not how we interest readers in a cause.
I appreciate your look at nuclear power, but this kind of verbal battle only scares the reader away from him rather than attracting his attention.

You are undoubtedly an enthusiast but you have to know how to channel your energy (no pun intended) to stay on the essentials.
Glad you came back with us.

hello bham
I do not interact with cmoa, it is he who talks about camping because while I created this post.
Why ?
because there is none on econology, this is what I saw and this is why I put information to those who want it, or can read according to your remark, if they don't are not afraid not to hide their faces.
there are people who are intelligent but who cannot see what nuclear electricity represents, as if it had been overshadowed by their ability to think, and often lack of technical information. I'm not talking about the technical information on nuclear energy that we had at school, for those who remember ... unfortunately there are a lot of accidents, the technique has never been mastered, and the environment, we are polluted every day, and it causes cancer - I’m not talking about cancer of cigarettes, the one we don’t see in front, but of a deadly disease that can be transmitted from generation to generation, If you know what I mean.
after the form of the speech matters little when we talk about nuclear, I have nothing to sell. I don't want to interest the reader, only the one who will be aware of it will do what is necessary.

I hope I have informed some of them about plutonium, where it comes from and how it arrives in our bodies, and how commercial industrialists are stewing us, themselves who do not have to understand everything ... then we must inform, but to independently.

after being censored by the democracy of this forum I rather hesitate to come back, I am mainly interested in some technical threads but which are advancing very slowly, I see mainly political and not too practical questions, but when I read nonsense I can't help it sorry I'm also a human.

oh by the way:
ELECTRIC CAR = PLUTONIUM CAR
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 03/11/08, 12:22

Long live clean nuclear, without uranium or plutonium, by hydrogen-boron fusion!
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 03/11/08, 14:33

hello cuicui,
would you just summarize the process, and say why (according to you) it was not retained?
thanks.
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 03/11/08, 17:53

Hello Jonule
All information is on the 2 links cited at the bottom of this post.
To summarize: hydrogen-boron fusion appeared possible since the large device z machine Sandia Labs obtained in 2005 the very high temperatures necessary to initiate this kind of reaction. This happened completely unexpectedly, simply by replacing the small target in tungsten wire with stainless steel wire.
This perspective, which makes the fission of uranium or plutonium obsolete and the very hypothetical applications of deuterium-tritium fusion by magnetic confinement (ITER), calls into question the investments made in these sectors. The financial community hates losing their bets and therefore takes the necessary steps to delay the application of this new rustic and inexpensive technique. Given the stakes, it seems pointless to hope that the mainstream media will not talk about it for a long time.
0 x