Nuclear and carbon: what releases in CO2 / kWh? Figures PWC, EdF, ADEME, Stanford ...

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Christophe

Re: Nuclear and carbon: what releases in CO2 / kWh? Figures PWC, EdF, ADEME, Stanford ...

by Christophe » 19/02/18, 15:25

sicetaitsimple wrote:EDF is not the only producer in France and only talks about its emissions, it does not seem to me abnormal?

EDF no longer operates any thermal power plant in France ???

EDF is not only a producer in France either ... according to wiki we have https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89lec ... vit%C3%A9s

Nuclear power dominates globally in the distribution of the production of EDF's installed base in the world (official figures 2014,):

nuclear: 54%;
hydraulic: 16%;
fossil thermal (excluding gas): 16%;
combined cycle gas and cogeneration: 9%;
other renewable energies: 5%.

The distribution of installed power of the group, at the world level, to 30 June 2015 was of:

Nuclear: 72,9 GW (54%)
hydroelectric: 21,6 GW (16%)
natural gas: 12,9 GW (10%)
Charcoal: 10,5 GW (8%)
oil: 9,9 GW (7%)
wind, solar, etc: 6,7 GW (5%)
total: 134,5 GW

and the geographical distribution of 2014 turnover in billions of euros:

France: 39,9 € million (55%)
Italy: 12,7 € million (17%)
United Kingdom: 10,2 € bn (14%)
other countries: 5,6 € bn (8%)
other activities: 4,5 € bn (6%).
0 x
Christophe

Re: Nuclear and carbon: what releases in CO2 / kWh? Figures PWC, EdF, ADEME, Stanford ...

by Christophe » 19/02/18, 15:27

sicetaitsimple wrote:No, it is 9,1TWh bioenergies, including 7TWh renewable (the explanation is mainly that by convention, 50% of the production of household waste incinerators is considered renewable).

Ahhhhh thank you, that's it I understand! It is badly fucked their picture ... no?
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 19/02/18, 15:29

Christophe wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:No, it is 9,1TWh bioenergies, including 7TWh renewable (the explanation is mainly that by convention, 50% of the production of household waste incinerators is considered renewable).

Ahhhhh thank you, that's it I understand! It is badly fucked their picture ... no?

Yes!
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 19/02/18, 15:45

Christophe wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:EDF is not the only producer in France and only talks about its emissions, it does not seem to me abnormal?

EDF no longer operates any thermal power plant in France ???

No, but on the fossil thermal 54,4TWh announced by RTE, EDF only produced 16 (source EDF 2017 activity report).
0 x
I'm just passing by
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by I'm just passing by » 23/06/18, 04:55

Here is the detail of an order of magnitude calculation (odg) that I made before falling on this site.

French nuclear fleet:
Average 1075MW per reactor
62400MW total
58 reactors
529TWh annual
0.71 nuclear share is 375 TWh annual
1t uranium ~ 15 000 PET

1- EXTRACTION
1t uranium ~ 30t CO2
~ 8500t annual uranium
255 000 000 000g from CO2
~ 1.5gCO2 / kWh

2- ENRICHMENT
8kg NU ~ 1kg U to 3.7%
and 4.5 SWU
given 50kWh / SWU
~ 1.9E9 kWh
~ negligible in front of 1-
note: before that was not, about 10% of the French fleet was used for enrichment before Besse II, this is not the case (since 2012 I think)

3-TRANSPORT
~ 50gco2 / ton / km
counting 0.33 for each (yeah I have laziness I admit)
Kazakstan - France 4800kms
Nigeria - France 3600kms
Canada - France 5000kms
average: 4200kms
~ 1.8E9 g CO2
~ negligible in front of 1-

Here I come to less than 2g for the moment.

There remains the cost of construction and dismantling but the lifespan of a power plant being 40 years, these are not the ones that will add a factor of 10.
If we really want to reach an odg above because we are very very relentless, we can always add the emissions related to the workforce abroad, since without checking we can be almost certain that their energy to them is based on the thermal flame.
and the transport to their place of work of the many French working in the sector. But seriously, it would require more staff and longer trips to get solar or wind power.
In short the problem of nuclear power is certainly not the greenhouse effect and moreover it is even one of its only reasons for being.

Moderate personal invectives
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 23/06/18, 13:51

Nuclear industry in search of growth meets near Paris

Paris 23 June 2018

The nuclear industry is next week near Paris with the hope to play its assets in the fight against global warming despite the heavy legacy of Fukushima and the rise of renewables.

The sector will meet for the third edition of the World Nuclear Exhibition (WNE) in Villepinte, in the northern suburbs of Paris, 26 June 28.

Among the themes in the spotlight this year: new generation reactors, digitization, dismantling / deconstruction issues or even small reactors ("small modular reactors"), which could represent a promising market.

The organizers invite the thousands of visitors expected to come and seize "the many opportunities in this growing market".

Yet the promised "nuclear renaissance" in the mid-2000s has not taken place.

Only four reactors had started last year - three in China and one in Pakistan - according to the count of an annual report on the subject, the World Nuclear Industry Status Report. Similarly, four additional reactors were started (Bangladesh, China, South Korea and India) in 2017.

The sector suffered from the Fukushima disaster in Japan seven years ago - the accident precipitated Germany's decision to abandon the atom altogether by 2022 - and the rise of renewables.

- "Niche Market" -

"I think that nuclear power is becoming more and more a niche market", analysis for AFP Paul Dorfman, researcher at University College London (UCL).

Renewable energies are thus experiencing much higher growth than nuclear power across the world. "The main reason seems to be the fall in the costs of renewables and the increase in the costs of new nuclear projects", Judge Paul Dorfman.

"This trend is leading to a decline in the share of nuclear power in electricity production with an increasing tendency to maximize the production of existing reactors through life extensions, upgrades and costly modernizations" , he says.

Even France, one of the cradles of industry, wants to reduce its dependence on nuclear power, which today is used to produce more than 70% of its electricity. "The nuclear industry is taking us into a drift", declared this week the Minister for the ecological transition Nicolas Hulot, evoking its costs.

But despite this difficult time, the sector believes it still has a say on the world stage and highlights its main asset: its almost zero emissions of greenhouse gases, an important argument in the fight against climate change.

- "climate emergency" -

What attract countries like China or India, who would like to reduce their use of coal, very polluting. These two countries are expected to account for more than 90% of the growth in nuclear generation capacity worldwide by 2040, according to a scenario from the International Energy Agency (IEA).

It is in China, in Taishan, that the world's first third-generation EPR reactor was recently launched. And EDF hopes to be able to build a giant power plant with six reactors in India, in Jaitapur.

"Nuclear power is the energy of the future", repeated this week Philippe Knoche, the managing director of Orano (formerly Areva), at a conference in Paris.

He also exhausted the German energy revolution: "German citizens emit twice as much carbon as French citizens per capita and the kilowatt hour costs them 70% more".

Still in the name of the fight against "the climate emergency", research is doing well, according to François Gauché, director of nuclear energy at the CEA (Commissariat à l'énergie atomique). "Things are moving a lot in Asia, in Russia but also in the Middle East. Some players in Silicon Valley are interested in nuclear energy," he underlines.

https://www.romandie.com/news/Une-indus ... 930167.rom
2 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/06/18, 23:33

I do not know how to write:In short the problem of nuclear power is certainly not the greenhouse effect and moreover it is even one of its only reasons for being.

You're right: the main problem of nuclear power is not the greenhouse effect but it is the same as that of oil: it brings too much to too few people and that makes people despicable of your kind, lobbyists that propriety compels to moderate ...

I do not know how to write:Moderate personal invectives

CQFD, you did well to just pass ...

ps: if you think that the nuclear (current) will change though it is the greenhouse effect is that you have been formatted, simply because the share of nuclear (fission) will remain largely still minority compared to the emitting combustion of more or less CO2 according to the nature of the fuel ...

So Mines or X? : Cheesy:
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 24/06/18, 00:06

moinsdewatt wrote:"German citizens emit twice as much carbon as French citizens per capita and the kilowatt hour costs them 70% more".
It is clear and within a few years, the Chinese and Hindus will probably have exceeded France in reducing carbon emissions.
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 24/06/18, 00:31

Christophe wrote:
You're right: the main problem of nuclear energy is not the greenhouse effect, but it is the same as that of oil: [u] it brings too much to too few people

pffff
Nuclear power in France allows you to have electricity not too expensive,
And for the oil you spit on it when it comes to going to the pump.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 24/06/18, 01:35

electricity not too expensive short term... Yes.

oil at the pump, of course, but what alternatives are proposed? The average citizen is completely hostage to the system. Electric driving is not easy, rechargeable hybrids are scuttled in the set.
0 x