I don't understand it, the more I drive in VE, the more I should earn "money"....

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Remundo

Re: I don't understand it, the more I drive in VE, the more I should earn "money"....

by Remundo » 20/06/22, 17:41

phil59 wrote:All in the presentation, and the interpretation.

if we limit ourselves to the price of energy, the comparison is quickly made... for "average" cars taking into account real driving conditions:

at 20 kWh/100km, it's about 3€ of electricity.

and €10/100 km in petrol or diesel.

but the use of a vehicle is not limited to paying for the energy of movement.

What weighs heavily on the VE budget:
* its purchase
* subscriptions and various scams on fast charging stations.
* possible battery changes/repairs which are expensive.
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: I don't understand it, the more I drive in VE, the more I should earn "money"....

by phil59 » 20/06/22, 19:48

Remundo wrote:at 20 kWh/100km, it's about 3€ of electricity.

and €10/100 km in petrol or diesel.

but the use of a vehicle is not limited to paying for the energy of movement.

What weighs heavily on the VE budget:
* its purchase
* subscriptions and various scams on fast charging stations.
* possible battery changes/repairs which are expensive.

In mixed use, it's 15 kWh well paid, driving not cool. 2€, 2.5€ for 100 km is more realistic, see 1.50€ at a reduced rate and super cool driving.

The purchase yes, but do a little calculation, on someone who does 25 km/year, for 000 years, between electricity and diesel, maintenance, etc.
True, the tires will wear out slightly faster, with poor driving, maintenance will be reduced to a trickle.
I haven't done a single service to the Kona yet, despite its 36 km being exceeded... And I actually have the first 000 free services, negotiated upon purchase.

As for the batteries, it can be a stroke of bad luck, but definitely not the habit.

But it can happen, and there, I admit, currently, it's the "sh*t*".

But, in general, for the majority, it will only be happiness, if we use it well.

When I returned my wife's ion, 3 years old, and almost 60 km, no service.
This is even truer than a year ago...
1 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
jujumiel
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by jujumiel » 07/07/22, 11:51

I was hesitating to buy an electric car recently but I'm not sure... Is it a good investment after all? 'Cause you don't look very happy :(
1 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 07/07/22, 12:08

You're kidding ?

Since 2012-2013, I have been driving in an EV, and since 2018, only in an EV.

I am caustic irony!

Still did close to 4000 km last month, for cheap fuel.
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Remundo

by Remundo » 07/07/22, 12:16

jujumiel wrote:I was hesitating to buy an electric car recently but I'm not sure... Is it a good investment after all? 'Cause you don't look very happy :(

To answer quickly...

1° a new car is NEVER a good investment
2° to know if an EV is a bad or very bad investment, it is necessary to define precisely its needs
3° there is always uncertainty about energy prices, taxation and their evolution, as well as maintenance costs.

I tend to say, whether it's a VT, a hybrid or an EV, that finding a good opportunity for cheap is already a good step. Even if we screw up, the financial damage is limited.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 07/07/22, 13:08

jujumiel wrote:I was hesitating to buy an electric car recently but I'm not sure... Is it a good investment after all? 'Cause you don't look very happy :(
Welcome Jujumiel

For the “needs” box, it depends on what is meant by “electric car”, whether 100% electric or hybrid?

Hybrid is very tempting, because suddenly, I IMAGINE that all the accelerations which would consume a lot of fuel, are taken care of by the electric part, and the petrol carburation part is only used to maintain a cruising speed (or recharge the battery, which is done at a “low-energy” engine speed...) I say that as a hearsay, without being really sure...
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 07/07/22, 13:44

This is not quite the case, depending on the model....

I don't know much more about the hybrid, it interests me very little.

And now with the number of VEs, I don't know them as well as I used to.

If you have a 220V socket at home, to charge an EV, we can talk about it.

Without that, it may be doable, but it will remain constraining.
1 x

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"