Hydrogen and Iceland .... they know

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 09/03/06, 10:03

Paldeolien wrote:[...] In short, in order to get an idea I have a few questions:

How many liters of water do you need to make a liter of H2?
How many watts do we spend making a liter of H2?
How many km can you expect to do with a liter of H2?

This is very likely to help us all to form an opinion.
The problem is not of this order ...

Iceland can completely devote part of its geothermal energy resources (or wind turbines, or hydro ...) to electrolyze water, even if the electrolysis yield is not very good.

In addition, the PACs work, and better and better (in any case, incomparably better in 2006 than at the time of this article in October 1999) but it remains a very expensive technology and unusable on a large scale for lack of network of distribution.

A bus (captive public service fleet) or subsidized private vehicle program to observe the behavior over time and other technical validations is entirely feasible, but the generalization and access of the general public to this type of technology doesn’t is neither for tomorrow nor for the day after tomorrow.
0 x
bob_isat
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by bob_isat » 09/03/06, 12:11

jean63 wrote:
bob_isat, you who know, can you tell us where you get your info?

I went to Rykjavic this summer. Nice place, very roots country, inedible local specialties (rotten shark and co)

What is unfortunate is that for lack of means, the transition to all hydrogen can not be done without injecting oil capital. It’s still those good people who don’t care :frown:
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 12/03/06, 18:08

[...]
Other key players in this move away from petroleum-based energy include Iceland, which has the advantage of having significant geothermal resources, but hopes to endow its fleet of cars and of hydrogen engine ships by 2050, [...]

Extract of this news.

It already seems to me much more realistic as a deadline, even chilly for once ...
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 12/03/06, 19:10

Ok, we already talked about Sweden in another topic that I opened.

But we also talked about the problem of the destruction of forests in Indonesia to plant palms ==> palm oil ==> HVB for diesels ==> deforestation = bad for local fauna and for the CO2 balance of the earth atmosphere! we turn arround. Hydrogen would be okay anyway with an effort from the oil lobbies (but they don't care as long as there is oil). : Evil:
Last edited by jean63 the 12 / 03 / 06, 22: 35, 1 edited once.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
neant
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by neant » 12/03/06, 20:04

Woodcutter wrote:
Paldeolien wrote:[...] In short, in order to get an idea I have a few questions:

How many liters of water do you need to make a liter of H2?
How many watts do we spend making a liter of H2?
How many km can you expect to do with a liter of H2?

This is very likely to help us all to form an opinion.
The problem is not of this order ...

Still, I would love to know anyway! : Mrgreen:
If you are not interested in the roof, I am : Evil:
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 13/03/06, 14:52

jean63 wrote:Ok, we already talked about Sweden in another topic that I opened.
I am not talking about Sweden. It's just that the quote is taken from an article speaking at the base of Sweden.

Paldeolien wrote:[...] Nevertheless I would like to know anyway! : Mrgreen:
If you are not interested in the roof, I am : Evil:
Having a roof interests me ... 8)

For H2, speaking in liters does not correspond to anything for autonomy, it is better to relate that to kg.
Regarding the energy cost of production, it depends on the source and the mode of production (hydrolysis of water or reforming of a hydrocarbon).
For hydrolysis, you must be able to ask one of the many experimenters present on this forum.
0 x
neant
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by neant » 13/03/06, 18:55

Thank you Bucheron to point out my faults.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolyse
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89lectrolyse

You should be a little more tolerant of spelling mistakes, and a little less tolerant of certain words you use.

I'm not a chemist at all, but from what I understand, in hydrolysis, we use water to break a molecule, and in electrolysis we use electricity to break a molecule.
So, I doubt that with water, we can break the molecule of water, to make hydrogen.

Errare humanum is

Finally, if you want, Bucheron, I can have fun systematically peeling what you write, but I doubt that it will be very constructive.
0 x
nonoLeRobot
Master Kyot'Home
Master Kyot'Home

by nonoLeRobot » 13/03/06, 19:07

No actually, we cannot produce hydrogen with hydrolysis but with electrolysis or thermolysis:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eau

PS: For the remarks on the ortho, I think it was just humor (bad maybe? ;-) but humor anyway)
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 13/03/06, 20:42

nonolerobot : Arrow:

You do well to warn for humor de Bucheron, but I still believe that it goes further than that. I will not develop so as not to throw oil on the fire, because we have to keep Paldeolian HERE. : Mrgreen:

Paldeo ... does not start STP; I had the same remark on the hermit instead of the hermit (of which I know the spelling, but I hesitated a moment and then it left like that). Indeed, looking for the little beast systematically it gets heavy at times.
You should be a little more tolerant of spelling mistakes, and a little less tolerant of certain words you use.

Indeed, you were entitled to schyzophrenic (ortho ??) and I was entitled to paranoia several times, so do not panic it's natural.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
neant
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by neant » 13/03/06, 20:54

What the hell, for nothing in the world I would not leave this earth.
Econology has become my bible and if it were a book, it would be by my bedside. : Mrgreen:

(Sometimes I blast myself when I write, lol, my girlfriend told me that I had better think about becoming a journalist, I replied that I made too many mistakes)

It is enough to inflate ankles, I still do not have the talent of a light.
0 x