EDF and nuclear subcontracting, document RAS

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Christophe

EDF and nuclear subcontracting, document RAS

by Christophe » 27/04/09, 23:55

I just skipped over an amazing documentary documentary on the social conditions of nuclear power in France (under nuclear contracting): Nucléaire RAS ...

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEtHcN6gopE

The nuclear issue viewed from a new angle: the point of view of anonymous nuclear workers, those who have the job of maintaining power plants, and who know, sometimes at their own risk, the tangible reality. It is not a pro or anti-nuclear film (some of these workers love their job and their work environment), but another concrete approach to this universe. The director, a former nuclear engineer himself, obtained authorization to film in a power plant, in Tihange and in France, and collected testimonies from both employees and employers in this sector. He carried out his investigation as far as Sweden, where a serious incident in 2006 almost caused a catastrophe.Coproduction: Iota Production, RTBF, Arte

Director: Alain de Halleux
Duration: 63 '
Aspect ratio: 16: 9

Year of production: 2008

Next release:
27/04/2009 at 22:25 pm on the front page
02/05/2009 at 08:05 pm on the front page

http://www.la1.be/programmes/details/in ... 8662305668

In the end if it is not anti nuke: we still tag a max by seeing how EDF treats its subcontractors (whose occupational diseases are obviously not taken into account in EDF statistics, anyway after 10 years there is prescription. ..ah the idiots!) ...

This documentary will probably soon be broadcast on Arte or France TV, informs me ...

Available here in full: https://www.econologie.com/documentaire- ... -signaler/
Last edited by Christophe the 05 / 07 / 11, 11: 20, 6 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/04/09, 00:07

Bingo will happen in 15 days on Arte:

http://www.arte.tv/fr/semaine/244,broad ... =2009.html

Their summary sticks more to what I saw (I saw that the last 40 minutes):

Nuclear workers emerge from the shadows to paint a disturbing picture of their working and safety conditions. An exemplary investigation.

They are called "jumpers", they are responsible for entering the steam generator to seal the pipes that connect it to the nuclear reactor. Maximum authorized stay: 90 to 120 seconds, under penalty of radioactive overdose! They are part of the mass of temporary and underpaid workers, in charge of maintenance in nuclear power plants (decontaminators, mechanics, inspectors ...). Workers in the shadows who, with this film, for the first time come out of silence to paint a disturbing picture of one of the jewels of European industry. Since the liberalization of markets and the privatization of energy groups, working conditions seem to be deteriorating, to the detriment of workers' health and safety. In the name of profitability, EDF / GDF-Suez, Areva and the others increasingly resort to subcontracting, cut back on staff and maintenance, put pressure on employees ...

Urgent to report

Despite the efforts made to alert the public (often sanctioned by layoffs), the authorities are turning a deaf ear. A malaise denounced by mainly Belgian and French workers, enlightened by expert-researchers, a sociologist and a former president of EDF, Marcel Boiteux ... "From risk 0, we have gone to calculated risk", says an employee. The "small" incidents have multiplied, with a hundred level 1 alerts each year: in 2006, after a short-circuit, a Swedish power station came close to disaster within 7 minutes; in 2008, a uranium leak contaminated one hundred workers in Tricastin. Controllers asked to ignore dysfunctions, employees hiding incidents for fear of sanctions, large groups disempowered by the outsourcing of tasks: this edifying observation shows how much collective security is at stake.

Do not miss on Arte so Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 22:50 pm

Really creepy ...

ps: it's still good to be in Belgium, we are 15 days ahead of the French and German 8)
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 28/04/09, 21:45

Well, I have lots of Belgian friends, some of them have stayed at home. I therefore warn that it is humor !!!

[humor mode ON]
Normal, 15 days in advance, it gives them time to understand the program : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
[humor mode OFF]

In fact, it must be time for French censorship to operate : Evil: .

I think back to 'Hitlaer, the rise of hatred' where the Belgian version was whole, while the French version broadcast on TF1 and cut by almost 3/4 hours, was inconsistent at times, and others grazed Holocaust denial ... : Evil:
This time around, I'm not making a sense of humor :!:
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/04/09, 21:59

Ah finally a reaction!

Hihihihiih joke, conversely you could say that France is behind Belgium ... : Mrgreen:

No censorship in all this: it happens very frequently, whether it is reports like this one but also Film TV or Films, systematically it goes on RTBF before going on TF1 or FR TV ...

I don't know the reason: maybe to do an "audience test"?

I had heard about the adolf story but I don't know the details ...
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 28/04/09, 22:38

Ex océano said:

[humor mode ON]
Normal, 15 days in advance, it gives them time to understand the Cheesy Grin show Cheesy Grin
[humor mode OFF]

In fact, it must be time for French censorship to operate Evil or Very Mad.

Not at all, normally we need a month :D

In fact it is a very old habit which already existed in the years 60-70. Even in the days of the rake antennas, most French-speaking Belgians received French channels very well. And when cable television (= cable) arrived, we received them everywhere. (Belgium was a pioneer in this area) And French border residents had little interest in (the!) Belgian (s) French-speaking channel (s). It was therefore normal, if we wanted Belgian TV to buy a program to broadcast it first in Belgium, otherwise, the Belgians would have already seen it and it would have been absolutely pointless to rebroadcast it.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/05/09, 14:27

I remind you that it goes on ARTE THIS EVENING!

To watch ... really! Frankly freaking out ... and you know I'm not an anti nuke extremist!

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEtHcN6gopE

The opinion of Johnny (administrator of the "Sortir du nuclear" Network) who viewed this report during a preview in Paris on May 6, 2009:

All in all, the film is quite catastrophic on the situation of nuclear workers and more particularly on the conditions of subcontracting.

However, there is a certain praise of the myth of the nuclear industry at the top of technology and the cutting edge of French know-how (at the beginning of the industry at least). On the other hand, the negative aspects of the nuclear industry (apart from the poor subcontracting conditions and the safety flaws that this generates) are not addressed except for an estimate of 2000 billion cost of dismantling for European installations given towards the end of the film.
The floor is very often given to the High Committee for Transparency and to the former CEO of EDF.

All in all, it is a question of making a neutral film which does not take a stand so as to bring together a maximum of people to open the debate.

No worker in the film criticizes nuclear power. On the contrary, they love their "machine" and only regret not being able to do their job properly.

I particularly regret very strongly that it is said that with the depletion of fossils and global warming there is a renewed interest in nuclear power. By this passage, he implies that nuclear power can solve the problem of global warming. Same for the energy independence cited without any criticism. It's a shame because the film is very good at showing the unacceptable conditions for maintenance.

An antinuclear can watch this film with interest.
A pronuclear will say that we must pay attention to safety.
Those without notice on the exit will certainly think that we must be careful but will probably remain without notice.

I have the "avant premiere on May 6" when all the Belgians had already seen it !!!
: Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/05/09, 20:37

Little reminder up!
0 x
yannko
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by yannko » 12/05/09, 22:13

Can someone save it to stream it later? It would be great for people outside of France (I don't have access to French channels from here). :P
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/05/09, 09:56

I recorded it but it will take a while to process the flow.
0 x
yannko
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by yannko » 13/05/09, 15:27

Great thanks a lot :P , I'm patiently waiting for the feed to be available :D !
0 x