Coal-fired power plants in Canada: a little more!

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Christophe

Coal-fired power plants in Canada: a little more!

by Christophe » 15/11/06, 13:15

Coal-fired power plants will spit longer

All indications are that the shutdown of Ontario's major coal-fired plants will be postponed again.

The Ontario Power Authority will recommend that at least two power plants be open until 2014 on Wednesday.

Lambton and Nanticoke generating stations, one of North America's biggest polluters, would therefore remain open more than seven years after the deadline set by the Ontario Liberals during the last election campaign.

Electricity Authority official Jan Carr confirms that the closing date will be extended: "We need to be sure there will be enough electricity before closing the plants. "

The same argument is made by the Minister of Energy, Dwight Duncan.

The Leader of the Official Opposition, Conservative John Tory, however, has another explanation: McGuinty is trying to save time in preparation for the fall 2007 election campaign, he said.

The Liberals' promise to shut down the province's five coal-fired plants in 2007 has always been criticized for being unrealistic.

The government first pushed the timeline to 2009, before dropping the case at the Ontario Power Authority, without setting a closing date.

A ton of challenges

Be that as it may, the saga of the shutdown of power plants demonstrates the complexity of the Ontario electrical problem. The polluting central Nanticoke poses a particular headache: in addition to producing electricity, it also relays imported electricity to the Toronto region.

The province must also invest millions in improving its transportation lines.

Finally, Ontario still hopes to enter into a long-term supply agreement with Manitoba. Negotiating such a contract is complex and must obtain the approval of the Native people.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/Onta ... 2014.shtml
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 22/12/06, 10:33

Nothing to do with Canada, but I didn't know where to put this:
in France too, there is renewed interest in coal (news from the Gazette des Communes)...

I do not always agree with the actions of the "political" Greens but here I think they are right.
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/12/06, 10:49

Woodcutter wrote:I do not always agree with the actions of the "political" Greens but here I think they are right.

+1 except that the greens are:

Anti-coal, anti-nuclear and anti-wind ... and to my knowledge there are not candles? : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 22/12/06, 16:10

Hello,

In Anrador they are expected to begin construction of several nuclear power plants (Candu system) shortly. Canada has uranium deposits.
They are not favored in Lake and in wind like Quebec.
The wind is favorable over the entire estuary of the St. Lawrence River, it is the wind from the Atlantic coast, once inland the winds weaken.
But the Canadian or US Coal Loobie did everything to hinder Quebec's hydroelectric projects,
As for the electricity of Alberta which is the richest province and producer of oil and gas but also it is this province which alone made us one of the great producers of greenhouse gases, with what energy l 'Alberta made of electricity!
Quebec alone would easily meet the protocol
The current Prime Minister, recently elected, comes from the west and from oil, he has his coffers stocked for the next electoral campaign! (its policy is modeled on that of the USA)
which could not delay either spring or autumn 2007, a minority government does not last long in our British system.

Andre
0 x