Clean coal plant by Alstom

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Clean coal plant by Alstom

by martien007 » 22/09/08, 11:04

According to this article, it's not just theory:

Clean coal plant experimentation 09:15
22/09/08 - energy

Alstom experiments with a "clean" coal plant

It is a world first that could provide an interesting response in terms of capture and storage of greenhouse gases. In association with the Swedish Vattenfall, Alstom has just started the full-scale oxy-combustion experiment, with the world's first pilot CO2 capture unit located at Schwarze Pumpe, in Germany.

The world's first pilot CO2 capture unit, based on oxy-combustion technology developed by Alstom, entered into service on September 9 at the Schwarze Pumpe power station belonging to Vattenfall, in Germany. According to the Alstom press release, this 30 MW pilot project marks a major step in the field of CO2 capture and storage, and demonstrates the Group's commitment to the development of clean and economical energy production technologies.

For several years, Alstom engineers have been seeking to develop processes for capturing CO2 during the production of electricity. For this demonstration unit, Alstom supplied the oxy-combustion boiler which integrates all the components necessary to cover the complete oxy-fuel chain, i.e. from the production of oxygen to the purification and compression of CO2.

This pilot plant should operate for at least 10 years. On the basis of a cooperation agreement signed between Gaz de France and Vattenfall, the CO2 thus captured will be used to improve the recovery and storage of gas at Altmark, the second largest gas field in Europe. CO2 will be stored 1.000 meters underground in porous rocks where it is expected to remain for thousands of years, with no impact on global warming. The Schwarze Pumpe pilot unit will also serve as a technical reference for the construction, by 2015, of a larger demonstration plant (200-300 MW).

Second oxy-fuel combustion project in France at Lacq

For Alstom, represents a major advance in the field of carbon capture. A second European oxy-combustion project will be commissioned at Lacq, in the southwest of France, before the end of the year. Several other projects are under development around the world: in the United States, Sweden, Norway and Canada.

Oxy-combustion represents one of the three technologies in the race for CO2 capture, with post-combustion and pre-combustion. This solution consists in burning the fuel at very high temperature (2.500 ° C) in pure oxygen, rather than in air. The exhaust fumes no longer contain atmospheric nitrogen and are particularly concentrated in CO2. The objective is to treat the fumes to extract 2% pure CO99.

Ultimately, this solution could interest many industries such as cement or steel..
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/09/08, 11:16

Sorry Martian but:

a) not only is it not new (maybe the variant used by Alstom has never been tested at full size but the purpose is nothing new):

https://www.econologie.com/forums/le-charbon ... t1477.html
https://www.econologie.com/projet-castor ... -2730.html
https://www.econologie.com/stockage-et-p ... -3126.html

b) it is zero in principle because instead of spending money and energy to bury the CO2 we could use it in a biofuel process for example: feed micro algae to supply fuel to the plant instead of burning coal

https://www.econologie.com/algues-carbur ... -3921.html

France and Europe risk missing out on a technological marvel: it's not tomorrow that we have to shake our asses!

But "their" goal may not be not to solve the energy and CO2 problem? : Evil:
0 x
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by martien007 » 22/09/08, 11:24

I am not saying that this is THE solution, but given the quantity of gigantic coal in the basement (much more than oil), the Germans and the Chinese are tempted to use this energy to produce électricté; then as much to use such a system rather than to send CO2 in the atmosphere?
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 22/09/08, 11:27

Yeah hello damage if there's a leak

But is CO2 the only responsible for global warming?
The question really poses

Toff! I can't find the temperature curves according to solar activity which seemed more "stick" than that of CO2

AH, if so:
indeed the subject is what resources do we really have to continue to "grow"?
however, on the climate, these curves are in doubt, right?
Last edited by Capt_Maloche the 22 / 09 / 08, 11: 31, 1 edited once.
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/09/08, 11:27

Not as much not to burn coal ... by replacing it with really clean fuels.

Now it's the same SCAM as the catalytic converters: instead of not CREATING pollution, we remove it at POSTERIORI.

This reasoning is the most compatible with capitalism: you have to pay for 2 solutions instead of one ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/09/08, 12:01

Capt_Maloche wrote:Yeah hello damage if there's a leak

But is CO2 the only responsible for global warming?
The question really poses

Rahhh! If CO2 was not a climatic problem then we would have the right to burn fossil fuels without any limitation?

And the decrease in resources? How would the capture of CO2 change anything?

So we prefer to put plasters on broken legs instead of putting SUB where the development of durable solutions would be possible!

Here are 3 for example (sorry to be clumsy): micro algae, concentrated solar (H2 and electricity) and ETM ...
Last edited by Christophe the 22 / 09 / 08, 12: 19, 1 edited once.
0 x
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by martien007 » 22/09/08, 12:10

Agree that it is better not to use this coal, but will tell the Chinese who commission a new coal plant every week? .....
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/09/08, 12:29

China, always China ...

And Germany? So green in people's minds but still producing almost 50% of their electricity from coal? And less than 5% with its wind turbines ...

I found a super complete document (66 pages) on the CO2 trap
https://www.econologie.com/forums/piegeage-e ... t2145.html
Download the doc directly:
https://www.econologie.com/comment-stock ... -3922.html
0 x
abyssin3
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by abyssin3 » 22/09/08, 13:00

Unfortunately, Maloche was not wrong, especially as the rise in temperature appears to be on average 800 years ahead of the increase in CO2 ...
0 x
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by martien007 » 22/09/08, 14:51

abyssin3 wrote:Unfortunately, Maloche was not wrong, especially as the rise in temperature appears to be on average 800 years ahead of the increase in CO2 ...

Come on a "little" dissent on the impact of CO2 ..... don't feel lonely, there are scientists who say like you (not especially Allegre).

Christophe :

Clearly, Germany is far from being exemplary in this area.

I saw a report on the subject: quite startling the construction of new coal-fired power plants in 2008! that's why they try to buy good behavior by installing CO2 storage systems .... well agree that if it leaks from the basement and there are chances for it to be a sword in the water.

In the meantime, this can allow them not to increase their CO2 emission quota, and at the same time satisfy the very virulent German anti-nuclear forces.
0 x