Is induction cooking eco-friendly? Comparative induction and electrical resistance (ceramic glass)

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

Is induction cooking eco-friendly? Comparative induction and electrical resistance (ceramic glass)

by Christophe » 22/12/17, 18:18

For some time now, I've been using an induction cooker that I bought years ago for test purposes and it was in hibernation ...

We will put aside the possible health concerns (magnetic fields) of induction, to focus only on the energetic part please.

I have seen for a few days with an 1800W induction plate, 1 9 setting, and a wattmeter taken that:

a) utensils heat much faster with induction (and cool faster too),

b) that induction operation is sequential at low power (<setting 3/9), the induction hob cannot drop below 700W so it alternates ON / OFF.

Induction is not suitable for simmering so.

c) that the induction power depends on the type of stove (logic) but also ... and it's more weird (because I do not see how the device measures) of what we cook!

Let me explain: at the same setting of induction power, the same empty pan will consume less than the same full pan (test to confirm but I have already noticed several times ....)

In short, I'm not here to sell induction hob but just know if it is actually more economical than conventional electric hobs and I would like to quantify these potential gains, for this I would need your ideas.

As material I have:
a) Power meter on 3600W socket
b) Induction-compatible pans and pans
c) An "independent" 1800W induction hob
d) An "independent" resistance plate of 1000W
e) Thermometer

So I'm ready to do some tests (unless everything is already known ??), you tell me what would interest you? 8)
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Is the induction kitchen eco-friendly? Comparative induction and electrical resistance (ceramic glass)

by izentrop » 22/12/17, 19:58

Hello,
Do not break, compatriots of you have already done the job. https://www.energieplus-lesite.be/index.php?id=11390

The superior efficiency of the induction is conceived very well by the fact that only the bottom of the utensil heats, by the eddy currents which circulate in its mass, provided that it is ferromagnetic.

Induction fireplaces are equipped with a temperature limiter integrated in an insulated and ventilated assembly.
The regulation is carried out by continuous variation to 1%, much more precise than the other heating means.

The power waves are emitted only in the presence of the utensil which absorbs almost completely.
0 x
Christophe

Re: Is the induction kitchen eco-friendly? Comparative induction and electrical resistance (ceramic glass)

by Christophe » 23/12/17, 01:44

Cool I did not take the time to look :) and so what is the answer in 1 number ??? Yeah yeah I'm lazy of the click! : Cheesy:

izentrop wrote:The regulation is carried out by continuous variation to 1%, much more precise than the other heating means.

Uh mine is far from regulating at 1% (as I explained above), after design it is basic since it is a "1 portable cooker" plate ... bifinett found years ago at Lidl I believe....
0 x
Lolounette
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Lolounette » 23/12/17, 09:07

at the same time we can not expect the same regulation on your small lidl plate as on the recent mutizone plates of the big brands : Wink:

I cook induction since 1 years, before it was vitroceramic ...
there was a period of adaptation, among other things to capture that once the fire is off the cooking stops immediately while on vitroceramic ca continues 15 minutes and I had integrated in my way of doing so we had some pans of rice not cooked and other at the beginning : Mrgreen:

I have not made any measurements but it is obvious that with equal power the induction goes faster (eg to bring 3 l of water to boiling it is easy to gain 7-8 minutes with the plates at max in 2 case), so necessarily induction will consume less overall.

My induction plate allows me to simmer without worry and with a great precision of adjustment. But good as to do I still prefer to put the Burgundy on the corner of the wood stove, the old! : Wink:
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 23/12/17, 10:04

I have two extra "burners", in a small integrated induction hob (this is a worktop, covered by a board) and if necessary, I can extend my 4 gas burners and have 6 burners. .

1) Not measure, but indeed, it seems obvious that it consumes less and it starts faster ...

2) Yes, it is, in electric, the most foolish way of simmering because one obtains a precise regulation of the temperature of the pan.

3) It remains that it is electro-nuclear. Although it is slightly less than other electric plates (but beware: nothing to do with a CAP, where the COP is huge, there, we avoid losses, that's it!).

4) If we take the orders of magnitude of efficiency indicated in the site cited, we would still save a small third by going from an old cast iron plate to induction, half, so about 15%, if we go from an induction glass ceramic! It's not nothing. But not enough to "justify" electric cooking!

We mainly use gas. Even if his performance is bad.
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/12/17, 12:08

Yes it remains electro-nuclear, but the losses contribute to the heating (in winter at least, in the summer they make more work possible climatic lol) ...

It is well known that the best cooking energy is gas, all (big) chefs use gas, but I think it is likely that they also use induction in part for its speed (similar to that some gas):

a) Everyone does not have city gas
b) Bottled gas is expensive and boring to manage (especially in apartment) and requires good ventilation
b) Wood is anecdotal and very painful
c) There are rare pellet / pellet stoves but I do not think it fits in 60 cm of a standard oven and it brings dust in the kitchen so I think not terrible for modern housewives

I good?

ps: bad performance with gas ???
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 23/12/17, 14:24

Christophe wrote:
ps: bad performance with gas ???

I'm good at bottles - which indeed, is not without constraint (think to replace them with full! I have two in parallel, so in principle, always a full! But sometimes you do not change right now and then you forget ...).

It is indeed, very expensive.

Unfortunately, a large part of the energy "passes" near the pan or the dish, with the combustion gases. And as we go up to high temperatures (150 to 200 °), this is important! You just have to see the hot handles. If we do not pay attention, by adapting the pots to the size of the fire (absolutely avoid that the flames go beyond the bottom), the performance is deplorable. If we watch out, ile sets mediocre (I don't think we exceed 50 or 60%!).
0 x
Lolounette
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Lolounette » 23/12/17, 14:38

it is one of my great regrets not to have thought to add 2 gas rounds next to the induction plate when I planned the kitchen ...

good summer I cook a lot outside on the gas grill. But still it's a shame not to have thought about it ...
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 23/12/17, 15:10

For gas yields, it is in the link that I put https://www.energieplus-lesite.be/index.php?id=11390
izentrop wrote:The power waves are emitted only in the presence of the utensil which absorbs almost completely.
More precisely, to avoid any misinterpretation: The electromagnetic field of power is emitted only in the presence of the utensil.

At this frequency, about 25 khz it does not shine, because it would take a 6 km antenna (1 / 2 wave) and the device has standardized anti parasite filtering.

When power control is given, only a weak field, necessary for the detection of a ferromagnetic mass and emitted. It is the presence of the utensil that triggers the full power.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/12/17, 15:16

Did67 wrote:Unfortunately, a large part of the energy "passes" near the pan or the dish, with the combustion gases. And as we go up to high temperatures (150 to 200 °), this is important! You just have to see the hot handles. If we do not pay attention, by adapting the pots to the size of the fire (absolutely avoid that the flames go beyond the bottom), the performance is deplorable. If we watch out, ile sets mediocre (I don't think we exceed 50 or 60%!).

That's right, the question is whether in primary energy these gas cooking losses are more or less important than electricity (2 / 3 losses) ...

I think the advantage is gas ... especially in winter these losses are not really as they stay in the house while 2 / 3 electro-nuclear end in nature , so it is necessary to apply again a coef 12 / 6 = 2 in favor of gas (one can refine I took 6 month of period of heating) ... in crude reasoning ...

It would therefore be necessary for the losses of gas "except pan / food" to be greater than 2/3 / 2 = 4/3 = 133% for gas to be less interesting than electricity in primary energy! We test the reasoning by the absurd there ... So we can say with absolute certainty that, on primary energy, gas is much more interesting than electric cooking!

I love this forum and the discussions and reasoning that can be :) 8)

ps: for the reasoning to be valid it is necessary to cook with gas with the same frequency all the year ... As one tends, I think, to make more cooking in winter (hot potatoes, sauerkraut, bredele when one has an oven gas too, game ...), well it's even more in favor of gas ...
0 x