Electricity at the potato

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
yoananda
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Electricity at the potato

by yoananda » 21/06/10, 11:06

http://hothardware.com/News/Potatoes-Ma ... he-Future/

I haven't tested it myself, but it seems an interesting alternative in "survival" mode.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 21/06/10, 11:11

You get electricity from just about anything, as long as there is an electrolyte (= non-pure water) and two different metal electrodes. The potato is used here as porous materials, nothing more.

It really is anything, stop using agricultural land to make energy. : Evil:
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Did67

by Did67 » 21/06/10, 12:39

Incredible, the spiel around a banality ... The pile of Volta (the inventor) was already a stack of copper rings alternating with zinc rings, with wet rags impregnated with suamur. As I had a right, I went to check there:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pile_volta%C3%AFque

So replace wet rags with a potato (it has been around for a long time with "apple batteries" running a quartz clock) and it's the same ...

1) that we can present this as an invention shows at what level of bullshit swim certain sites; also shows the level of ambient bullshit that makes people believe that it is an invention because it is on the internet and that we cite a university [it exists at least ???]! Worrisome ...
Worrying about the average level of education. Almost everyone has the bac, but the pile of Volta ... mystery!

2) so it is enough to spend a lot of energy to produce a lot of metals, and thanks to the potato, recover a little electricity! (the potato, it just serves as a conductor; on the other hand, the electrodes corrode!). This is not the way to solve the energy crisis!
Last edited by Did67 the 21 / 06 / 10, 12: 44, 1 edited once.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 21/06/10, 12:42

My apologies, elephant ... My message had remained on "stand by", the time to send it and it is duplicated ...

[But glad to read that not everyone slept in physics class!]
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 21/06/10, 12:42

Did 67 wrote:

impregnated with suamur

if you had not been so impregnated with Saumur, you would have written "brine", I believe :D

Sorry, it was too easy ....

Completely agree with your intervention
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/06/10, 15:13

Did67 wrote:Incredible, the talk about a banality ...

+1 ... it's heartbreaking ... I didn't even click on the link ... just seeing the name of the site = computer hardware, so not much to do with "energy" technology.

Do not prevent, I would be curious to know the total return of this "solution" ... 0.0001%? : Cheesy:
0 x
yoananda
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by yoananda » 21/06/10, 15:25

Thank you for your answers.
For an energy Boeotian like me it seemed like a good idea.
This is the advantage of this kind of forum, prune the information that circulates in over-abundance (and not over-unit) on the net.

It's like the guy who made electricity from 2 candles. It would have been great as a system if it were ... true!

In short, sorry to have wasted your time. This is how we learn.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/06/10, 15:29

Ben potatoes (or apple or lemon ...) it's true ... it works ... but not very long!

By cons in the same genre we had discussed a long time ago to recover the electrical potential of trees ... and it seemed more interesting (at the time, my judgment may have been changed ...) ...

I will try to find the subject.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/06/10, 15:32

Ah no Maloche the last one is thermal !! : Mrgreen:

I found the info but it was news and not a subject (if there is a subject I have not found it): https://www.econologie.com/l-energie-ele ... -2368.html

Trees: better than photovoltaic panels!

About ten years ago, researchers managed to produce electricity by placing copper strips on lemon slices. Today, it would be possible to extract electrical energy from trees in situ, just by implanting electrodes.

In the United States, a team of researchers from a private company, MagCap in Massachusetts, a component manufacturer, worked on a process that could directly harness the plant's electrical energy.

To convince themselves of the existence of such a source of energy, they offer a simple experience, achievable at home: Take an aluminum nail and push it 3 cm into a tree trunk. Then take a copper metal stake and push it about 20 cm into the ground. Connect both ends to a conventional voltmeter and you will find that a voltage of 0,8 to 1,2 volt testifies to the electrical energy involved.

But, if we want to exploit this energy, that is to say if we replace the voltmeter for example by a light emitting diode of the same voltage, then it does not produce light. The problem is that plant electrical energy is unstable and not exploitable as it is, according to Gordon W. Wadle, an engineer at Thomson, who developed the process in collaboration with MagCap Engineering. You have to be able to store it and then restore it.

The circuit composed in particular of capacitors connected in series and in parallel is capable of accumulating electricity in nickel-cadmium batteries, which are capable of supplying electroluminescent diodes up to 2,1 volts. The researchers have already made some interesting remarks, notably that the electric energy produced by trees is more important in winter than in summer.

At this point, many questions remain about the potential of such a technique. How much electricity can a tree produce? Isn't the assembly polluting by transfer of metals from the electrodes in the tree or the earth? Many see in the patent filed by MagCap, a bright future, with applications such as the supply of electroluminescent panels or even the supply of public lighting or security lights and why not in this Christmas period the fir trees feeding their own garlands ...

http://www.magcap.com/
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 21/06/10, 15:40

uh,

would it not rather be a potential difference due to a return to the earth (local transformer circuit) between the roots and the surface?

should be checked in the forest far from any urbanized area

Toff, don't you have one or two stainless steel nails to make a reproduction for us? :P
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^