The return of the rechargeable battery econological, thank you Edison

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
xboxman4
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

The return of the rechargeable battery econological, thank you Edison

by xboxman4 » 27/04/14, 20:46

Hello everybody

I am quite surprised not to find a concrete subject on the forum (or elsewhere) on the famous Thomas Edison battery, also called Nickel-Iron battery.

At that time (1901), the automotive world favored oil, in the current context it could be an affordable and environmentally friendly solution for storing energy, not just for our cars.

Imagine a rechargeable battery, which can be made simply by a little handyman, made of 100% recyclable and abundant materials, certainly not as efficient as our lithium batteries, but a little more than the lead-acid that equips our cars; and with a major advantage: it is stable (life estimated at 50 years, almost without deterioration of the electrodes).

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accumulateur_nickel-fer

Today research is conducted on this battery:
http://technofuture.canalblog.com/archi ... 24947.html

Its application sector can be varied:
- Solar / wind
- Automotive
- Battery backup

I see these batteries on small urban cars, which do not need to have a range of 800 terminals and speeds above 60 km / h, and where it is possible to easily find recharging terminals (in theory ). Besides a vintage car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9qlNCEZWKs

Imagine today with the progress on materials and processes, we could reproduce this kind of vehicles but with chassis and body lighter, energy management masters, recyclable materials ...

What do you think ?
: Mrgreen:

for info, although this technology is abandoned, an American box in "re" produced, but the prices :x
https://ironedison.com/
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 27/04/14, 22:07

good we do not say "rechargeable battery", but electrochemical accumulator :P

Yes they are good batteries, they are very close in their operation of Nickel Cadmium.

In fact, instead of having Cd (OH) 2, we have Fe (OH) 2

Concentrated potash electrolyte is robust and rustic.

A little less energetic than Nicad because of a slightly lower voltage (1,3 V instead of 1,4V).

But stationary battery, or when the weight is not annoying, it's good stuff. Nicad finally established itself in the industrial logic.

@+
0 x
xboxman4
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by xboxman4 » 27/04/14, 22:15

It's a shame that we do not sell more profits; especially for solar / wind installations. Because overall it remains more suitable than a lead-acid accumulator that requires a recycling path more complex / greedy / expensive.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 27/04/14, 23:19

Le German wikipedia that I always consult for technical subjects, particularly mentions the advantages and interesting applications of "Nickel Eisen Akkus" ...
Der Nickel-Eisen-Akkumulator gilt als mechanisch und elektrisch unempfindlich. Insbesondere soll eine Schädigung durch Überladung oder Tiefentladung, wie von anderen Akkumulatoren bekannt, bei diesen Zellen unmöglich sein. Diese Eigenschaften haben zu einem gewissen Technische Comunität im Bereich der dezentralen Stromversorgung geführt: Einige Enthusiasten bevorzugen diesen Akkutyp beispielsweise an einer kleinen Windstromanlage, oder um ein Passivhaus unabhängig vom Stromnetz zu machen.

Mechanically and electrically "insensitive".
No damage by overload or deep discharge
[Nicad equivalent]

Application in decentralized network with electrical storage, some enthusiasts use it for passive houses, or with a small wind turbine, or even become independent of the network.
0 x
xboxman4
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by xboxman4 » 28/04/14, 00:08

The advantage lies in the fact that it is a battery that can be easily produced by any handyman, unlike NiCad batteries or cadmium is harder to find (not to mention the toxicity).

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any other site where these NiFe batteries are sold?

I saw on alibaba but good import = €€€ in FDP! Not to mention that we can not necessarily open them for maintenance / cleaning!
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 28/04/14, 00:11

xboxman4 wrote:The advantage lies in the fact that it is a battery which can be easily produced by any handyman, unlike NiCad batteries or cadmium is harder to find (not to mention toxicity).

Moue ... with what performance?

Do not believe that with 3 metal tip and a little potash, we have powerful batteries ... SAFT took a long time to get Nicad completely reliable and correct in energy density ...
0 x
xboxman4
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by xboxman4 » 28/04/14, 00:19

Remundo wrote:
xboxman4 wrote:The advantage lies in the fact that it is a battery which can be easily produced by any handyman, unlike NiCad batteries or cadmium is harder to find (not to mention toxicity).

Moue ... with what performance?

Do not believe that with 3 metal tip and a little potash, we have powerful batteries ... SAFT took a long time to get Nicad completely reliable and correct in energy density ...

I suspect, hence my interest in finding in the "trade". However, it is always interesting to be able to experiment yourself. Even if the performance is not there, we can imagine that the recycling of these metals found here and there, to make a battery, could be used in simple and functional applications: shed or outdoor lighting, garden pump, energy recovery 'a small wind turbine or PV.
0 x
xboxman4
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by xboxman4 » 28/04/14, 00:34

A little preview of the vintage battery:

0 x
xboxman4
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by xboxman4 » 09/06/14, 18:49

I came across this article, an 205 electric with 140km range via these NiFe batteries:

http://www.technologicvehicles.com/fr/a ... 5XjKJR_t7I

With the technology of today (hunt more powerful, more solid and light material, electronic management of electrical consumption, aerodynamics ...) is it not possible to reproduce this 205 the same batteries but the taste of the day and with more autonomies?
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 09/06/14, 18:55

I have been advocating exactly this type of cars for years ...

with a small generator.

That said, this 205 should be a little soft ... 17 kW peak for 850 kg, it must be closer to the 2CV.

Finally it does not roll that badly! :P

It would be enough to put something like 35 kWpeak (50 Ch), without changing the power of 8000 W 'basic'
0 x