test test: SMD LEDs VS VS Halogen CFL

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/10/10, 14:43

A) Interesting link, here is the kind of typical and misleading promises about "traditional" led bulbs:

Light rendering 50 w
Light color 5000 ° K (white)
Diffusion angle 30 °

3 lines, 3 lies (we hardly do better):
- the luminous flux in lumens is not given !!
- No GU10 halogen bulb of 50W for the individual is in 5000K (there may be specialized among the photographers on the other hand)
- A 50W bulb does not have an angle of 30 ° so the light rendering will never be the same ...

Then € 7 for an extra dimmable, sorry but it can only be of poor quality.

B) Well, I just tested 15 SMD 3W / Halogen 50W / Fluocompacte 9W measurement points ... they confirm what I thought ... I will process them and they will be here within 1 hour.
0 x
Patatrace
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Patatrace » 29/10/10, 16:00

So that's an appetizer, strongly the results : Cheesy:

I think that the absence of data in lm means that it is a generic arrival ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/10/10, 17:17

Small cons time it took me more than "less than" 1 hour, I will add the photos later.

Test protocol:

- 15 measuring points placed "at random" in a stairwell
- 3 different technology bulbs GU10 base:
1 Megaman 9W (used since 3 years in the same stairwell): economic and LED bulbs
1 Halogen 50W (that everyone knows)
1 Elix 60 leds SMD 3W: https://www.econologie.com/shop/ampoule- ... p-359.html
- Omnidirectional luxmeter measurement of each point: https://www.econologie.com/shop/luxmetre ... p-133.html
- Ambient brightness: from 0.1 to 1.3
- For the compact fluorescent, the 1ere was expected to be stable (end of preheating).
- At the end of the bulb series, we measure its maximum T ° with this infrared thermometer: https://www.econologie.com/shop/thermome ... p-132.html

Photos

Measuring points:

The test spot:

The 3 bulbs:

The luxmeter:

Example of a measure:

Raw data in Lux (Lumens / m²):

Graph in Lux per measuring point and average on 15 points per bulb:

Maximum temperatures measured on the bulb (still lit) at the end of the tests:

Compact fluorescent: 94.1 ° C
Halogen: 309,7 ° C
SMD: 41,6 ° C

Conclusions and comments:

- The temperature of the bulbs is entirely logical and goes in the direction of the respective efficiency of the bulbs (in Lm / W). The low T ° of the SMD bulb augurs a priori a good life: the leds are not boosted (as I said above, Luxeon bulbs warm more, I would make a measurement of this)

- The 60 leds SMD bulb illuminates overall better than 9W compact fluorescent bulb while it consumes 3 times less.

- The variance of the measurement points gives the homogeneity of the emitted light: the best is the fluo, then the led and the halogen (strong gap, details later).

- In other words: on these measurement points it is the halogen which has the cone (directivity of the light) the most visible (therefore the less good diffusion of the light and the higher probability of dazzling). It's a shame when everyone is looking for halogen quality in economic lighting?

But I think that the point 7, which must be precisely in the cone of maximum lumunosity of the halogen, distorts the measurements with respect to the rendering of the real luminosity (subjectivity), by suppressing it one obtains a new series more representative I think of what we feel.

So I will redo a series of analyzes without the 7 point with averages, energy efficiency and variance that will be more significant.

Preliminary conclusion:

I hope this should already convince some of the validity of my impressions when I said "it's bluish" ... while waiting for the details of the series without point 7.
Last edited by Christophe the 29 / 10 / 10, 20: 24, 2 edited once.
0 x
Patatrace
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Patatrace » 29/10/10, 17:28

Indeed it is really amazing, it should even be compared with the Megaman 11w I think.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/10/10, 18:37

Here are the curves and analyzes without the 7 point.

Details on 9 to 15 points that are far from the light source. This gives an indication of the light scattering capacity:

Deviation from the mean of the measuring point:

Energy efficiency estimate

explanations:

1) Average of measurements in Lux
2) The average difference (average deviation of measurements from the mean)
3) The variance for each bulb (the higher it is, the more different the measurements of each point, it gives an idea of ​​the homogeneity or constancy of the light). Complete the average gap by amplifying the effect
4) Power consumed
5) Yield in Lux / W = 1) / 4)
6) And especially: average efficiency compared to the halogen = light yields compared to that of the halogen.

To your comments. : Idea:
Last edited by Christophe the 30 / 10 / 10, 09: 45, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/10/10, 20:24

I just inserted the photos above.

Temperature measurements at the end of the tests, on the fluorescent:

On the SMD:

ps: the first photo is taken with flash and not the other, that explains the difference in rendering.
Last edited by Christophe the 30 / 10 / 10, 11: 00, 1 edited once.
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 29/10/10, 21:03

Really very interesting, thank you Christophe!

It is the first time that I have actually seen a LED bulb competing with halogen.

And there it seems, from your measurements, that 2 3W bulbs exceed a 50W bulb in lumen produced.

By the way, the power consumption of the switchboard, is that what you measured? I did not find it explicitly written, unless I am mistaken, but I imagine it.

So with 20 bulbs like that, or 70W, I finally compete with a 500W halogen! My dream :-) It's still a little expensive compared to a halogen bulb of 500W, but it will quickly drop I think.

I just saw :
Do not use with voltage regulators or dimmers

But because of the low unit power, we will be able to think about how to choose the number of lighted bulbs, it will be much more efficient than current dimmers anyway ...

This means that we are getting closer to LED lights for car headlights too.
0 x
See you soon !
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/10/10, 10:10

bernardd wrote:Really very interesting, thank you Christophe!

It is the first time that I have actually seen a LED bulb competing with halogen.

And there it seems, from your measurements, that 2 3W bulbs exceed a 50W bulb in lumen produced.

You're welcome, I'm here for that (too) :)

Quite at the level of the source this will be more important (or equivalent), but with the smd leds the light will be more diffuse, so there will be less light just in front of the spot than with the halogen.

For mood lighting this is not a disadvantage but an advantage.

And the manufacturers' figures confirm this:
2 SMD of 60 leds = 280 lm * 2 = 560 Lm
Halogen 50W = 50 * 10 to 12 (lm / W) = 500 to 600 Lm

bernardd wrote:By the way, the power consumption of the switchboard, is that what you measured? I did not find it explicitly written, unless I am mistaken, but I imagine it.

I had checked at the time on MM and halogen, it worked well for fluorescent and halogen was 48W, its power depends on the voltage of the moment. But these slight variations would not change the conclusions.

No I did not check it on the LEDs but I did take 3.5W and not 3W (0.5 is the consumption of the bulb transformer).

bernardd wrote:So with 20 bulbs like that, or 70W, I finally compete with a 500W halogen! My dream :-) It's still a little expensive compared to a halogen bulb of 500W, but it will quickly drop I think.

Do the calculation over the lifetime and you will see that it will cost you less over 10 years ... but obviously at the time it is an important investment. If you take lightning it can hurt ... but it is theoretically guaranteed ...

To help calculate the profitability of economic lighting, we carried out some time ago economic and ecological calculator of energy-saving lighting: https://www.econologie.com/calculateur-ampoules.html

So test it, you will be surprised ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/10/10, 10:20

Well, I did it for you: 20 halogen bulbs of 40 W (2000h) replaced by 20 led bulbs of 3W (50 000h).

Savings over 50 hours: more than € 000 ... for an investment of € 5000 ... even ultra-subsidized solar PV can lie alongside this "profitability" ...

It is also quite scandalous to realize that cars are currently subsidized (500 million losses for the State therefore us on the bonus penalty system) for a pseudo ecological justification while the economic lighting is not. .VAT could be reduced for example on this kind of products.

Long live the lobbies ...

The calculations are explained in the second part of the page.

Have fun !
Last edited by Christophe the 30 / 10 / 10, 12: 07, 1 edited once.
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 30/10/10, 10:24

Agree on everything else.

Christophe wrote:No I did not check it on the LEDs but I did take 3.5W and not 3W (0.5 is the consumption of the bulb transformer).

I think a small measure would bring the final touch to your test :-)

In passing, the operating voltage of the bulb is not indicated on its presentation page. It is certainly implied by the GU10 format, but for anyone who does not know these codes, like me, it would not be a luxury.

Christophe wrote:To help calculate the profitability of economic lighting, we carried out some time ago economic and ecological calculator of energy-saving lighting: https://www.econologie.com/calculateur-ampoules.html

So test it, you will be surprised ...

Thank you for this additional advice :-)
0 x
See you soon !