test test: SMD LEDs VS VS Halogen CFL

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/10/10, 08:40

The prices of omnidirectional SMD bulbs (of quality) were still too high when I learned about the question ... between 40 and 50 € the bulb ... it's not in the pricing philosophy of econology.

Capt_Maloche wrote:Aloa!

you only have them with this type of socket?

I only have E14 and E27 at home

For the moment in smd yes but I offer you the gu10 socket if you want to test 8) : Cheesy:
https://www.econologie.com/shop/douille- ... p-194.html

Otherwise I replaced a mr16 12V 20W halogen bulb with the mr16 smd, well the angle of the smd is much more important than that of the halogen : Shock:

With the halogen we saw a brighter spot on the ground directly under the bulb (about 80cm-100cm, the bulb being 2m high and targets the ground), but not with smd: the light distribution is better and more homogeneous. It almost seems to use an omnidirectional bulb. : Shock:

It's the world upside down :) but you will see all this on paper with the tests that I will probably do today or tomorrow.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 28/10/10, 10:07

I made the same observation (larger angle and better diffusion of light) in the bathroom.
Initially I lit with 3 halogen spots 35W, it lit but there was the "spot of light" effect (despite not even 3m² to light) and replacing them with three Xanlite 48 leds I gained in lighting quality .

No there is not to say, the led technology is starting to be mature. Thanks to this kind of product we can now consider light up with LEDs and no longer cantoner a role of "deco"

It is a pity that the big manufacturers of lamps like Osram / Philips or GE still haven't understood it and are limited to products like 1 or 2w which light up hardly more than 15w incandescent even though very often they are the ones who produce power led chips. Suddenly the interesting products of this kind have an almost confidential distribution.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/10/10, 10:43

Forhorse wrote:It is a pity that the big manufacturers of lamps like Osram / Philips or GE still haven't understood it and are limited to products like 1 or 2w which light up hardly more than 15w incandescent even though very often they are the ones who produce power led chips. Suddenly the interesting products of this kind have an almost confidential distribution.

And above all their prices are quite / very high. For example, at Megaman, the first LED bulb (1W) is 4 € public price with a low cone of brightness ... do not push ... : Shock: : Shock:

But I think these big brands have understood this and I think this is linked to a clever calculation of profitability: it is more profitable for them to sell incandescent and fluorescent lights rather than quality leds in the same price range ...

Then there is industrial inertia too ...

N'empeche the Luxeon are from a Philips patent ... even if 99.9% of luxeon bulbs on the market are not stamped Philips.
0 x
Patatrace
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Patatrace » 29/10/10, 12:02

It is not common to see Christophe so enthusiastic with an LED bulb. Even those in mr16 Elix 4w that I bought from him in 6 copies (and of which I am very satisfied as the colors are well rendered and the light cone is clean) have not received as much praise ...

I must precisely within a year install a false ceiling with spotlights, I would be tempted to buy one to see.

What I am especially looking for is a GOOD color rendering because the 48SMD warm white bulbs recently purchased from a local merchant (paid in ecocheques so it cost me nothing to take) are too yellow.

I also tested CREE 3x1w and 3x2w bulbs (even if the wattmeter only measured 4,5 to 5w of consumption for the second) warm white and there the color rendering is much more correct so it's proof that it is doable despite the requested warm white.

The digital testing site recently bought equipment to test color rendering, but I imagine this would cost the store too much for a few bulbs, right?

At worst, can we have a subjective opinion in addition to the luxmeter test?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/10/10, 12:12

a) Yep, Pat! But frankly it's bluish ... there are no other words: as we said above with this kind of LED bulb we really reach a threshold of maturity for LED lighting ... There is a technological leap in terms of lighting efficiency ...

In fact these bulbs could, given their cone, replace "buble" bulbs (E14, E27 ...) in a lot of cases because the diffusion of light is wide and it is the scientist who speaks, not the shopkeeper. pity therefore that they do not exist at this manufacturer in E14 or E27 ...

b) The light rendering of these 2 SMD models has nothing to do with the 6 that you have since yours are cold white at 6000 ° K close to daylight. Here we are on warm white.

At the light level, subjectively to the eye (actually not the means to buy an optical spectrum analyzer), we are between our other LED models in warm white (I don't know if you have them) and a conventional halogen.

So we are very close to halogens with a very slight tendency towards whiter.

ps: do you have the link to the digital test? He could well complete these tests.
0 x
Patatrace
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Patatrace » 29/10/10, 12:36

Yes, it is accessible via / Tests & files / Household appliances / Low consumption: choose the right LED lamps

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/basse-consommation-bien-choisir-lampes-led-article-1072.html

It is quite didactic in addition I find.

6000k is perfect for a bathroom, the rest should be around 3000K to keep the impression of warmth of the lighting. I imagine that at 3000K we necessarily keep colors that turn yellow, but the CREE bulbs give what you describe, namely this halogen color but whiter therefore cleaner still. It is not this impression that I had with my 48led SMD bulbs.

But they were commercial bulbs that I would never have bought if I had not had the eco-checks.

I am sure that Elix has rectified these faults given the price at which these bulbs are offered.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/10/10, 12:40

Thanks for the link, check it out.

Patatrace wrote:6000k is perfect for a bathroom, the rest should be around 3000K to keep the impression of warmth of the lighting.

Quite ... bathroom and in the kitchen see on a work desk also.

These 2 SMD bulbs are precisely given to be at 3000K ...

Patatrace wrote:It is not this impression that I had with my 48led SMD bulbs.

There are probably different colors on SMDs as well.

Patatrace wrote:I am sure that Elix has rectified these faults given the price at which these bulbs are offered.

It was also Elix the 48 smd that you tested?
0 x
Patatrace
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Patatrace » 29/10/10, 12:51

No it was not Elix but another Belgian firm which deals in China, I have not kept the paper for a year since I bought them. I will look in store again on occasion.

I was just telling myself that over time Elix had to erase this defect, but I will still buy one to compare with the 48LED SMD.

About LED SMD there is a French website which sells it but which also explains some information which seems plausible to me but I am not scientific. I put the link to you but you can delete this part of my message: ampoule-leds.fr/informations-sur-les-ampoules-led-smd.php
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/10/10, 13:07

It is an explanatory article there is no reason to delete it.

On the other hand, as there are so many types of led on the market, I do not quite understand what type of led the article compares to SMDs when it says "traditional led" ...

Disadvantages of an SMD led bulb:

* The SMD led heats much more than a traditional led when we try to get the maximum it can offer us which is not without consequence since the life of a led lies in its possibilities to keep its lighting power and heat is one of the 2 factors that can influence this lifespan with the overvoltage.
* For the most powerful SMD LEDs, their dimensions limit the number of LEDs according to the space that contains them, so it is not possible to put as many as conventional LEDs.
* More complicated to weld, they require very specific welding equipment since very often we use the technique of fusion soldering (to simplify the soldering is already on the underside of the led and the heat causes the led to solder on the printed circuit ) which makes any subsequent intervention quite difficult if you wish to replace a defective LED.
* According to our tests, the Lumens / watts ratio is the lighting power divided by the power consumed is lower than traditional LEDs.

I do not agree at all with the 2nd point: on 50 mm in diameter there are rarely more than 60 classic LEDs and on the last point: the lm / w output is catastrophic with traditional LEDs ...

In terms of benefits:

Advantages of a SMD led bulb:

* It is a surface component, it reduces costs but above all the finesse in thickness of the products designed.
* The larger SMD LEDs offer more power per LED per unit, for example we can reach 10 ~ 12 lumens per LED when the best 5mm LEDs we use are around 4 ~ 6 lumens per LED, however these LEDs use 3 light chips instead of just one so it's difficult to compare them.
* The angle of diffusion, it is generally quite wide and very often offers an angle of 140 ~ 150 ° nevertheless certain traditional LEDs offer the same performances.

We actually have 4.6 Lm / Led which shows that the LEDs are not too boosted, favorable to their lifespan but I have never had a traditional LED bulb that had such a lighting angle.

In terms of heating, I have not yet measured anything yet, but to the touch, the 3W GU10 SMD model heats less than a GU10 3W model in Luxeon ... Yet the Luxeon model has cooling fins and not the SMD model.
0 x
Patatrace
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Patatrace » 29/10/10, 13:46

laboutiquedetoni.com/ampoule-80-leds-douille-gu10-240v-watts-blanc-5000degres-dimmable-p-4855.html

It is on this site that I buy my electrical equipment (it is only there that I find the full catalog of Legrand) and my LED neon lights (I have no confidence in their spot bulbs). Here it is the proof that there exists a bulb 80 leds 3mm.

I think that by traditional leds they refer to the 3 to 5mm cylindrical leds, the most common. What I don't like about these bulbs is that the light intensity is too weak, it emits light but it doesn't light up. This is also why I prefer the luxmeter tests, they reflect reality much more.

Apparently (this is only my opinion) for the problem of the heating of bulbs with 1 powerful LED we are faced with the same problem as the computer giants: Leakage currents. In other words, the voltage must be increased disproportionately to keep a sufficient emission of light, hence the monstrous loss emitted in the form of heat. Maybe a new material would fix things but it doesn't seem to have been found yet ...
0 x