Switches, transformers and legislation

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
cdvddt
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Switches, transformers and legislation

by cdvddt » 21/04/09, 14:32

Hello everybody

After having bought a WattMeter and evaluated the consumption of my computer installation geek, I got scared (PC, Freebox, HD Freebox, external hard drive, Power adapter, scanner, printer, speakers, Telephone, ...)

Most of these devices do not have switches, and many are connected to pre-war transformers that consume power even when they are not delivering anything.

So I began to install multiple power strips, with a main switch (for the entire installation) and a secondary switch to group the devices I use occasionally only (Freebox HD, Scanner, Printer)

It's really a puzzle. There are very few power strips with individual switches (and those that exist are very inconvenient / cumbersome)

I find that absolutely absurd!

What wind of madness could blow on the commercials and managers of the big HiFi / Multimedia brands to do the hunt for switches? It's crazy!

I have heard that in England, appliances without main switches are simply forbidden!

What about French legislation? European?
Has the Grenelle of the environment planned requirements at this level? In terms of standby consumption? Transformer consumption? Presence of switch?

Do you know about this kind of legislative news?
If none of this is yet planned, would not it be useful to contact our local / European deputies on these topics?

I had also searched if there was not a kind of multiple transformer on the market:
A single power strip powered 200v and 6 7 or XNUMX DC outputs that we could choose the voltage and that would consume nothing when we ask nothing, with a switch for each device or a remote!

It would be really the best! A best seller insured.

A gain in energy, in congestion (the installations under our offices become gargantuan with these tens of plugs and transformers crammed)

What do you think of all this?

Sincerely,

Raphael
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 21/04/09, 14:53

: Evil: The same thing as you...

My freebox HD, I plug it when I need it ... Almost never.

The rest is plugged into switchable blocks.

I also have energy meters in use.
: Mrgreen:
0 x

Back to "Electricity, electronics and computers: Hi-tech, Internet, DIY, lighting, materials, and new"