Automatic standby power strip

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
davidex
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Automatic standby power strip

by davidex » 19/03/07, 13:24

Hello,
I know that there is already a power strip with 4 separate switches sold in the econological store, but I accidentally discovered an "advanced" power strip at a reasonable price (€ 24,90), while browsing the home automation store on the site of my electricity supplier (which is not EDF but GEG).

As the title indicates, it is a multi-socket allowing to cut * automatically * the devices connected to certain slave sockets of the multi-socket.

Just plug your TV or PC into the master socket, and as soon as you turn off the TV, or put it on standby, the socket automatically cuts off the associated devices (DVD player, printer, scanner, screen, etc ...)

All the devices connected to the slave sockets of the power strip are then automatically switched on again as soon as the TV / PC is switched on again by its remote control or by the on / off switch.

If you are interested, a detailed technical notice on the advantages and the functioning of this socket is available. here

I ordered it to evaluate its functioning.

This type of outlet could also be part of the store in addition to the one already sold.
0 x
- Audacious Fortuna Juvat -
Christophe

Re: Power strip * standby * automatic *

by Christophe » 19/03/07, 13:27

davidex wrote:This type of outlet could also be part of the store in addition to the one already sold.

We thought about it, the pb is that the "master" remains on all the time ... and like the master it is generally the PC or the TV (therefore the one which consumes the most in standby) the econological interest becomes limited . Not to mention the internal reliability of the product which seems quite low to us ... :| (a relay / current detector is much more fragile than a switch) therefore the multi-switch multi-socket seemed to us much more econological (more robust and more efficient) even if it is less "practical"

So we prefer to offer this more reliable and robust model:

https://www.econologie.com/shop/multipri ... -p-60.html

Otherwise since December 2008 we have this, a universal infrared standby cut: https://www.econologie.com/shop/tv-stand ... p-217.html

Last edited by Christophe the 14 / 01 / 09, 10: 56, 2 edited once.
0 x
davidex
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Re: Power strip * standby * automatic *

by davidex » 19/03/07, 13:47

Christophe wrote:The pb is that the "master" stays on all the time ... and like the master it is generally the PC or the TV.

Of course, that does not solve everything. There is still * a single * gesture necessary with this socket, that of manually turning off your television / PC; all the other peripherals being automatically switched off via the slave sockets.

Christophe wrote:Not to mention the internal reliability of the product which seems rather low ... :| (a current detector / relay is much more fragile than a switch)

You're right, but it all depends on the internal construction of the product, a threshold detection can be very simple while remaining very robust. This socket also offers overvoltage protection.
0 x
- Audacious Fortuna Juvat -
Korben Dallas
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Korben Dallas » 23/11/08, 17:49

A little post digging up!

I bought this kind of stuff at Pearl (3 ramps):
- One died quickly enough: the adjustment potentiometer was HS and the crimped case hardly removable
- I measured the empty consumption: 8 W continuously ... i.e. 70 kWh per year

Suddenly, I deleted them from my installation in favor of socket bars with conventional switches (less practical, but less demanding).

I had found this DIY that I wanted to try:
http://dreu.free.fr/index.html?/blog/stopveille.html?http%3A//www.google.fr/search%3Fnum%3D50%26hl%3Dfr%26q%3Dmultiprise+coupe+ordinateur+%25C3%25A9teint%26meta%3Dlr%253Dlang_fr
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 23/11/08, 21:02

otherwise there is the ecostrip power strip:
it plugs into a USB port and as soon as the 5V of the USB disappears, it cuts all the peripherals, printer, box, screen, HP, etc.
I don't know if it's distributed in France
this is here
0 x
Click my signature
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/11/08, 21:11

Korben Dallas wrote:I bought this kind of stuff at Pearl (3 ramps):
- One died quickly enough: the adjustment potentiometer was HS and the crimped case hardly removable
- I measured the empty consumption: 8 W continuously ... i.e. 70 kWh per year

Pearl and durability do not usually go well together ... just see their range (and CRAZY PRICE ???) of LED bulb ...and the empty consumption (thank you for the measurement) shows that it's pipo these master slave multiple sockets ...

Otherwise nice the idea of ​​the USB power strip, too bad it is limited ... to PC precisely ...

There's nothing to say: nothing beats a good old switch !!

I remind you that we offer a HIGH range model, made in Germany, 2 year warranty and which will probably last 20 years (except the wolf eyes probably): https://www.econologie.com/shop/multipri ... -p-60.html
0 x
gregdu13250
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by gregdu13250 » 28/11/08, 15:36

A remote controlled socket it consumes 0.1w according to the manufacturer, I put one in mind of all my equiment and in the evening I press off on a remote control which is with the other remote control
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/11/08, 16:03

0.1W it would surprise me ... that of Brennenstuhl consumed (the range is changing) 2 to 3W.
Last edited by Christophe the 24 / 11 / 12, 20: 45, 1 edited once.
0 x
pieroxy
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pieroxy » 24/11/12, 18:38

I allow myself to bounce on this subject as old as the world.

I just bought one of these multiple sockets and here are my observations:

1. The master outlet is also cut off when the outlet goes into "off" mode. Suddenly, more parasite consumption.

2. The outlet has a wired "remote control" to turn everything back on. This then replaces the power button of the PC to turn on.

3. Consumption in "off" mode is 1.0W (measured with an EM230)

Obviously, I cannot guarantee longevity yet. It cost me € 30. It is not so much to save money in fact (even if I will do so) but it is especially to no longer have to hunt speakers / screens / hubs not turned off in the house.
0 x