Web scams by mails

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Web scams by mails

by the middle » 09/05/11, 22:13

Hi,
I do not know if the phenomenon is local, but these days, I just received two dangerous emails:
Due to the congestion of all email account users, and the removal of all unused accounts, the direction of internet configuration assistance would be forced to close your account, you will need to confirm your email by filling in your information login below if the form is not fully completed your account will be suspended within 24 hours for security reasons.

Confirmation of your identity. Verification of your Email account

Second email: (in 5 days)
BILL GATES FOUNDATION LOTTERY FOR

INTERNET EXPANSION IN THE WORLD

AT YOUR KIND ATTENTION

Ref. Entries: 22/756/4007
Batch number: 497001527-AB66
Security Code: MSW / MAR / XX07

CONGRATULATIONS !!! CONGRATULATIONS !!! CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Sir / Madam
Dear Internet user,

Management for global cooperation from Microsoft and its founder (Mr Williams Henry Gates) is pleased to inform you that you are a winner of the annual MS-WORD lottery (BILL GATES LOTTERY FOUNDATION) conducted in Africa. Africa being the continent is the host for this 2009 edition of this great event for annual events initiated since January 04, 2009.

Your personal email address or that of your company was drawn in July 2009 With the serial number S / N- 3648042-510 associated with the winning number 9570015 948-6 410. You are thus part of the first category of winners of the lottery and you therefore win the sum of € 250.000 (two hundred and fifty Thousand Euros) payable in cash or by bank transfer credited to the file reference number: MSW-L / 200- 26937. This makes a total of 2.500 € 000 (Two Million Five Hundred Thousand Euros) that we have to distribute among the 10 winners of the first category. We would like to remind you that all winners are required to claim their winnings in cash or by bank transfer, and this according to the deadline which has been set for them, failing which this sum will be intended for charities in Africa ...

Your winning Ticket is: AB 164C

THE FIRST PRIZE THE SUM OF 250 EUROS,

Last name :................................................ ...............................

First name (s): ............................................. .........................

Date of Birth :.............................................. ..............

E-mail adress :............................................... ...................

Password :.............................................. ......................
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/05/11, 09:27

Local? No I don't think it's global and has been around for a while (I would say "always")

I have been a multimillionaire (in $) since 1999 according to my spam emails and I earn at least $ 100 every month : Cheesy: : Cheesy:

In other words ; e-mail scams are not new, but there are some more "dangerous" than others. Phishing is one of them, the example of your 1st email is one.

When it concerns paypal, your bank or other service of the net (I presume that for facebook it must proliferate) ..ca can become very annoying ...

You have to know one thing: with current internet technology, anyone can send an email no matter@nhatever.xxx including government departments or other officials (police, justice, etc.) , the one who receives this mail can therefore be deceived, but if he answers it, it is the "real" user of the mail who will receive the answer (if the mail exists, otherwise he will have an error if the mail server is not configured in catchall).

Those who are skeptical send me a PM and I prove it to you.

In short: the sender's email is not a guarantee of security.

An ultra easy method to detect a phising is to look at the real links to which the email points: if different (even to a letter) from the official site = attempted scam

There are also free anti spam like spamannihilator which work more or less well.
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 10/05/11, 12:39

Forward to the Fraud Prevention Service.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 10/05/11, 14:02

Janic wrote:Forward to the Fraud Prevention Service.

In my opinion it is totally useless:
- They are probably already aware
- They don't have that to do
- The sender of this kind of email is certainly not in France (but rather in Africa) so the repression of fraud can not do anything anyway.

The best thing to do is be very careful and immediately delete this kind of email.
(I personally don't even display them, they go directly through the "delete" box without going through the read box)
Your bank, ISP, tax collector, etc ... in any other way to contact you.
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 10/05/11, 15:06

It is done !
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 10/05/11, 15:09

lejustemilieu wrote:

It is done !

The sender of this kind of email is certainly not in France (but rather in Africa) so the repression of fraud can not do anything anyway.

Precisely, I saw a program which proved the opposite (in France I think)
So, France deals with African scams.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/05/11, 16:53

You should know that some mail are equipped with "cookies".

For example 1 invisible image (or not for that matter): if it is loaded, the author can know that you have opened this email. So your email address takes "value" ... to be sold to other crooks ... it's the start of a downward spiral ...

If you click on one of the email links, also tracked: it's even worse: your email becomes "premium pigeon email" : Mrgreen:

Hulot uses this kind of link tracking which I hardly like (but which is widely used by "heavy" web marketing)

So as Forhorse says, these emails, don't open them and report them as spam to your email provider.
0 x
Mathew
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Mathew » 10/05/11, 18:39

I have something to sell: the catcher-catch, perpetual movement guaranteed for life! : Mrgreen:
Send me 1 € and I reveal my secret : Mrgreen:

Sorry, I could not resist ... :P
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/05/11, 18:40

1 € only ?? Pfff it stinks the scam : Mrgreen:
0 x
Superform
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Superform » 10/05/11, 19:35

at the very beginning of my studies ... we were studying the smtp protocol ...

telnet xxxx 25
mail_from mulder@fbi.gov
rcpt_to yourpersonalmail.domain.ext
date
xxx
xxx
xxx

here it is sent ...
0 x