UV hazard or not with a plant lamp?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
sebarmageddon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

UV hazard or not with a plant lamp?

by sebarmageddon » 13/11/09, 15:52

Hello ,

some time ago, I bought myself (on another site because I had a very good reduction) a lamp for plant of the brand megaman

this lamp, according to the link that I put above, would emit UVB and UVA + Infrared.

my question is, is the light of this plant dangerous because of UVA, UVB, for a human who would spend a lot of time near, or distant from 2 meters?

the lamp is placed in a room and it works during the day to light some plants to be warm and placed on a chest of drawers, to improve this lighting, a sheet of reflective mylar is put on the wall, and therefore reflects everywhere lighting, the lamp being directed towards the plants which are against the wall

Thank you for your answers ,
a+
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/11/09, 16:03

Tricky question!

I think this lamp is no more dangerous than the sunlight it is supposed to replace.

In addition, it is a spot so it is quite "directing" ...

Finally when you know that some women still do UV sessions at rates much higher than those of the sun ... so I think this plant lamp is really safe ...
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 13/11/09, 16:38

Christophe wrote:Finally when we know that some women still do UV sessions at rates much higher than those of the sun ...

Some men too, if :D
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/11/09, 16:41

Christine wrote:Some men too, if :D

Reference to: bistro / sarkozy-also-parody-by-fernandel-t8748.html :?: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 13/11/09, 19:27

Bonjour Christophe

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviole ... -280_nm.29

I don't really understand that we can sell UV lamps that make UV B especially to improve plant growth .....: Shock:

You must not abuse UVA for "everything" that is alive ..... In industry, when we use a UV source, we make sure that the mandatory UVB filter complies / efficient and not dangerous for the operator (in Aeronautics, daily check!). The recommended safety equipment are gloves, cap and special glasses for UVA in use with ceiling light or manual lamp (the irradiance is nevertheless important in the 1500 µW / cm2 at the level of the hands.)

UVB rays are dangerous for the eyesight, the skin etc ... and it should be used under UV-opaque cover and with many recommendations !!! The only smart object I have seen using UVB is a machine to "sterilize" hairdressing equipment (scissors, combs etc.) at the hairdresser. UVB rays destroy lice, nits .....

Security is very well done, the box is metallic and the start switch is coupled to the cover. The bulb can only be lit with the lid completely closed. At no time can you see the bulb in operation. It seems to me that only a diode indicates that it is running (and also the fact that it heats).
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
sebarmageddon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by sebarmageddon » 14/11/09, 17:34

Hello ,

it seems very difficult for me, as for you, to give an answer that is sure and leaves no room for doubt.

we do not know how much UVA or UVB this bulb produces?
it is not written on the packaging, UVA or UVB, both seem to be dangerous.

it's a shame we can't give a correct answer, because I just realized that my question on this forum , appears in google on the first page, an answer could be useful to the greatest number.

good to come back to this problem, i will put a sheet of mylar side reflecting on the bulb holder protruding well down so that it hides the light that could be directed towards me.
as long as the light is well directed towards my plants, it's perfect.

a+
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 14/11/09, 20:02

sebarmageddon wrote:we do not know how much UVA or UVB this bulb produces?
it is not written on the packaging, UVA or UVB, both seem to be dangerous.

You can ask the manufacturer for the emission spectrum curve, he must be able to provide it to you. UVB are beaucoup more dangerous than UVA.

good to come back to this problem, i will put a sheet of mylar side reflecting on the bulb holder protruding well down so that it hides the light that could be directed towards me.
as long as the light is well directed towards my plants, it's perfect.

Remember that your eyes do not see UVB (this does not mean that they do not suffer their deleterious effects) and you must check that your Mylar sheet a few hundredths of a mm thick does not leave not pass the essential of UVA and B ....... This is measured with a radiometer and a cell adapted to the frequency band UVA, UVB or UVC.
UVA and (B?) Are very well reflected by polished aluminum.
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.

[Eugène Ionesco]

sebarmageddon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by sebarmageddon » 14/11/09, 20:40

https://www.econologie.com/shop/images/m ... pectre.gif
is that the spectrum?

Do you think UV rays could pass through reflective mylar (mylar with some kind of shiny aluminum colored paper)?
at worst, I'm going to put on a layer

a+
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 14/11/09, 20:51

It is in the visible spectrum your curve, our UV are completely on the left for much shorter wavelengths and what is needed is the spectrum of such a bulb model, not just any, varies with technology etc ...

You have all the explanation in the link that I have already given.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviole ... -280_nm.29

Search the net for mylar, what it is able to think about.
A+
0 x

[Eugène Ionesco]

sebarmageddon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by sebarmageddon » 14/11/09, 21:20

I'm not sure I understand well, or even understand quite simply,
on the image of what seems to be the spectrum of my bulb, and according to the drawing of the electromagnetic spectrum of wikipedia, my lamp would have no UV, but the red and blue peaks would in fact be light blue, and red light which are what plants need.

on the packaging of my bulb, I do not see anywhere UV, I just looked on the net and I do not see UV with this lamp, or so I look badly, Christophe, can you tell me where is what have you seen UV on this lamp? (maybe you have some info that we don't have)

a+
0 x