SSD quality and lifespan (SLC, MLC, TLC, QLC)

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

Re: Quality and lifespan of SSD drives (SLC, MLC, TLC, QLC)

by Christophe » 04/06/21, 15:39

Yes it will reduce if you do 3 tests per day! But 1 test per year ... no risk!

Guy beats us flat with his M2 SSD! It goes up to 7 Gb / s the bastard !! : Shock: : Shock: : Shock:

computer-electronic-electricity / clone-a-hard-drive-system-to-ssd-mx500-crucial-test-review-t16878.html
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 04/06/21, 17:23

And it is useful why this kind of speed? AI : Mrgreen:
The faster it goes, the faster it wears out, right?

I am waiting to know your writing speed / hour / day in standard internet use, the TBW of the Mx500 1TB being 360, we will be able to compare : Wink:
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 04/06/21, 17:34

izentrop wrote:... Well go install HD Sentinel or Crystaldiskinfo there and give us what you have consumed for these 6 - 7 years, your OS, your daily consumption and your amount of RAM.
That will perhaps allow me to know if it is in my interest to increase my RAM which is 4 Giga?

I just installed Crystaldiskinfo. I avoided HDsentinel for two reasons: the limits of the "trial" version are not given so I don't know exactly what I would have, and it does background monitoring or I want to reduce all the non-essential activities (it is always more or less a source of slowing down or even bps), my goal is only to do the tests on an ad hoc basis.

I checked the date of purchase of my SSD, it's late 2013. So we are at 7,5 years and its condition seems not bad at all (I only erased the S / N):
Attachments
crystalReport.jpg
crystalReport.jpg (249.52 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 04/06/21, 18:30

Thank you for returning
26 VG in 7.5 years, you can still go far. Some have gone as far as ...
Kristian calculated around 1000 p / e cycles using the wear level indicator on his 840 sample last year or around 242TB of writes, but we've seen reports of much more than that (for example, this XtremeSystems user who saw about 432TB of writes to a 120GB 840 SSD before his death). https://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/sam ... s-tested/3
That's 26183/31774 = 824 MB / hr average

I'm 5148/81 = 63 555 Mo / h, the difference is enormous : Shock:
What OS and how much RAM?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/06/21, 18:36

izentrop wrote:I am waiting to know your writing speed / hour / day in standard internet use, the TBW of the Mx500 1TB being 360, we will be able to compare : Wink:

A priori it will not be far from the one it will replace no?

He made 35 TBW in 6.5 years as estimated above (see computer-electronic-electricity / quality-and-lifespan-of-ssd-slc-mlc-tlc-qlc-t16876-30.html # p449178 ) or 65 years for 350 TBW ... in short, I would be dead before this SSD !! : Mrgreen:

So what does your HD Sentinel say after a few hours?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/06/21, 18:38

izentrop wrote:I'm 5148/81 = 63 555 Mo / h, the difference is enormous : Shock:

Because you either have a measurement error or that your SSD has already been used and the data is stored in the SMART on the SSDs (= you bought a refurbished disk).

I told you: wait a few days to see the HDS news!

Rah these young people always in a hurry !!! : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/06/21, 18:43

Exnihiloest wrote:the limits of the "trial" version are not given so I don't know exactly what I would have, and it does some background monitoring or I want to cut down on all non-essential activities (it's always more or less source of slowdown or even bps)

With the trial you have limited surface tests it's just like the difference I think (and a popup at launch with a stopwatch) ... you don't have to look well.

For the background task yes: since it constantly monitors the state of your disks ... Don't be afraid for your resources, I just checked: it takes 5.2 Mo of Ram and 0% of proc ...

You should still install it to see ... It's a Hungarian software nothing to do with the US or even FR mentality of intrusive soft ... I think the guy is all alone: ​​he doesn't need to feed shareholders or bankers and other parasites of society! : Mrgreen:
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 05/06/21, 11:58

Christophe wrote:So what does your HD Sentinel say after a few hours?
After 1 day
I had it installed on 21/05 then uninstalled for crystalDiskInfo, then reinstalled yesterday.
I don't know what to think about it, since there is no hourly count?
Attachments
Hds1j.gif
Hds1j.gif (20.35 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/06/21, 12:11

HDS counts when it is installed that's all ... no idea if it takes over the history of a previous installation ... I guess not!

So wait 10 days ...

28 GB per day is already much more realistic!

2 important things otherwise:

a) SSDs and some SSHDs do have a SMART function which records the volumes of READ and WRITTEN data

b) I have the same concerns as you:

- I have another laptop equipped with an M2 System SSD bought in August 2020
- CrystalInfo which says that I have already made 10 TB of LUES data !! Based on SMART data
- Or HDS that I installed the day of delivery or the next day at worst, tells me that I have consumed 2.3 TB (which is already a lot because this PC does not run every day, I think the M2 / SSDs are heavily used in caching by windows)

So either they sold me a disk already used (like you ???) or the installation of windows 7 TB food (which would surprise me) or there is a measurement error somewhere (??) or .. .bin I don't know! Guy what do you think?

The catches are coming!

ps: Guy this M2 is running at 4000 MB / s in reading ... so honor is safe but I saw that your Samsung Pro was the current top! Show-off goes !! : Cheesy:
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 05/06/21, 17:56

izentrop wrote:Thank you for returning
26 VG in 7.5 years, you can still go far. Some have gone as far as ...

It is not at all linear over time. For example I now have all the music in FLAC instead of MP3 before, which requires at least 3x more capacity than MP3 at 320 kB / s. And now I have technical data files generated by recent hardware. I would say the required storage capacity also evolves with Moore's Law like processors.

Kristian calculated around 1000 p / e cycles using the wear level indicator on his 840 sample last year or around 242TB of writes, but we've seen reports of much more than that (for example, this XtremeSystems user who saw about 432TB of writes to a 120GB 840 SSD before his death). https://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/sam ... s-tested/3
That's 26183/31774 = 824 MB / hr average

I'm 5148/81 = 63 555 Mo / h, the difference is enormous : Shock:

It’s weird. The OS is Windows 10 with 16GB. I don't know how Crystaldiskinfo works. Where does he get his info? If it is not directly from the SSD, but also from the OS, as I have re-installed it twice in 2 years, it would be less weird (the last Windows install is less than 7.5 years old, can -be even less than a year, I can't remember).
I also monitor and eliminate all these polluting programs that are everywhere (what a plague, Adobe, they are the worst), especially at startup but not only, and generate traffic. It should be noted that we often have dozens of accesses per second to the registry even on a clean PC.
The SSD here is only for Windows, installed programs and their working files, not for storing data files.
1 x