switching transformer problem

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
bc327
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by bc327 » 10/07/07, 09:13

Andre wrote:Hello

A toroidal transformer is an autotransfo it's illegal for immersed pool lamps ..
It's not for nothing that lamps work in 12 volts it takes a primary and secondary transformer isolated
It's like many lamps in the bathroom and the razor socket. The thread must be No 12 we speak of 25 ampere by lights
especially quartz lamps they perform, if the voltage is sufficient.

lose 1 volt in the line under 12 volts it's a lot
lose 5 volts under 220volts it's negligible

Andre

Hello,

I am very surprised at this remark because the electrical boxes for swimming pools are systematically supplied with toroidal transformers. My toroidal transformer comes from elsewhere in my pool cabinet. I doubt that this is illegal. If that were the case, then, ALL the equipment vendors are in illegality :|
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 10/07/07, 15:22

Hello

I'm talking about transformer with only one adjustable winding (variable)
so some at the transformers

The torric treme does not mean anything
What to do if primary school is isolated from high school
for a pool it takes an isolation transformer

Andre
0 x
delnoram

by delnoram » 10/07/07, 17:21

This is what in Europe we call "toric transformer" and or and yes there is isolation between primary and secondary.
The variable transformer is indeed more than not recommended for a pool.
The use of certain terms can be confusing, especially between france and quebec 8) (the intervention of another francophone country is useless it is an example : Mrgreen: )
0 x
"Thinking should not it be taught in school rather than to make learning by heart the facts that are not all proven?"
"It's not because they are likely to be wrong they are right!" (Coluche)
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 10/07/07, 18:49

delnoram said:

this is what in europe we call "toric transformer" and or and yes there is isolation between primary and secondary.

in fact, generally, there is a small diagram on the transformer, and one sees big wires for the low voltage, and fine wires on the high voltage. nothing prevents us from testing the inter-rolling insulation with an ohmmeter.

but not everything is there: for "aquatic" applications the windings are separated by more than one layer of insulation. In the non-toroidal ones - therefore the square transformers - there is squarely a wall which separates the 2 windings to avoid a contact by melting of the insulation in the event of overheating. These transformers are specially approved for this use.

That this does not exempt you from putting the frame of the fixture to the ground and placing a differential circuit breaker (For bathrooms, I think it's 30mA and I think for pools it's even more sensitive) [/ quote]
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Other

by Other » 10/07/07, 21:01

Hello
This is what in Europe we call "toric transformer" and or and yes there is isolation between primary and secondary.

These trransfo that we find in small appliances notament for a long time in soldering guns in tin, have poor performance, they are built economically

Good transformers are built in metal to eliminate magnetic leakage.

We start to move away from the lighting but it is always instructive to speak about the magnetic carcass .. especially that forum is dedicated to energy performance :D ..

Andre
0 x
iso14000
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by iso14000 » 28/11/07, 09:09

your "switching transformers" (as improperly named) are SWITCHING POWER SUPPLIES: a complex electronic circuit.

they are designed for a MAX current under a certain voltage, if this current is reached; they cut.
And as it was pointed out the cold filaments of halogen lamps or very low resistance (10x) and therefore the rated current of your lamps is blazingly exceeded.
The toric transformers themselves "collect" this peak current at start-up because momentarily (a few tens of ms) the output voltage collapses, the filament heats up slowly, its resistance increases, the current demand decreases, the voltage rises, rises up to the nominal voltage while the current goes down to the nominal value.

There are special power supplies for this kind of use, which starts slowly

besides maybe you should connect your spots on it then connect the power supply to the sector AFTER ....

Florent
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 28/11/07, 09:28

and it looks like the meyer transformer does not it? where are we?
0 x
iso14000
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by iso14000 » 28/11/07, 10:09

to see on www.farnell.fr
key word: toroidal transformer.
0 x