OVH: fire in Strasbourg, datacenter destroyed. What consequences on the French internet?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
belladonna
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Re: OVH: fire in Strasbourg, datacenter destroyed. What consequences on the French internet?

by belladonna » 17/03/21, 16:25

I read your words carefully, I can tell you, from an extremely reliable source, that those who work at OVH are not at the wedding.
with regard to backups, those who yell the most, are those who take the cheapest server and who do not do their backup, because to have backups is more expensive, and I can assure you that there are has redundancy for companies that pay the price.
I could put the inside photo of the sbg1, but I won't, because I don't want to put the employees in bad positions
only Octave can do it
1 x
Christophe

Re: OVH: fire in Strasbourg, datacenter destroyed. What consequences on the French internet?

by Christophe » 17/03/21, 17:30

bellad wrote:I read your words carefully, I can tell you, from an extremely reliable source, that those who work at OVH are not at the wedding.
with regard to backups, those who yell the most, are those who take the cheapest server and who do not do their backup, because to have backups is more expensive, and I can assure you that there are has redundancy for companies that pay the price.

Totally agree with you !!

(I was an OVH customer for many years but on the DC RBX and it seems to me that I never had anything in Strasbourg ... or maybe a Kimsufi ... not be careful ...)

For the photo: what good do we suspect what it looks like ... a pile of scrap metal, cables, sheets and plastic burnt or melted? : Cry:
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: OVH fire in Strasbourg, destroyed datacenter: what consequences on the French internet?

by Exnihiloest » 17/03/21, 21:18

Christophe wrote:
Exnihiloest wrote:I have two small sites at Free and Orange (a hundred GB together)

?? Can you host a hundred GB for free ??

Yes. Very old Free subscription dating from its beginnings as an ISP, it had free offers.
Since this subscription has evolved like paid subscriptions in terms of limit in GB, but remaining free.
They say 10 GB but I have a lot more, my FTP uploads have never blocked, and with php + database mysql ... when I tell you that capitalism is cool, you just have to know how to approach it. It is not me that he exploits, it is me who exploits it!
Their only limit: it's http, not https.

Can we see what the sites are like?

This would disclose my identity and I wish to remain modestly anonymous. :)
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: OVH fire in Strasbourg, destroyed datacenter: what consequences on the French internet?

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 17/03/21, 21:43

Exnihiloest wrote:... capitalism is cool, you just have to know how to approach it. It is not me that he exploits, it is me who exploits it!

0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 17/03/21, 22:27

bellad wrote:I read your words carefully, I can tell you, from an extremely reliable source, that those who work at OVH are not at the wedding.

Of course, this is common sense. Anyway, I'm assuming that the contract indicates more of a guaranteed availability rate, or a guaranteed recovery time, and not data security. There will then be no possible recourse for loss.
This kind of event is still very rare, and that's what, I suppose, encourages taking the risk of not saving. It remains a serious customer error.

That said, it's not just customers who want to save money. Societies too. A powerful automatic fire extinguishing system exists, with a smoke detector and the release of a high pressure gas which deprives the fire of oxygen. If OVH has bypassed it, it must not complain, it does not show more foresight than its customers, and that can cost more by the degradation of the brand image, than the fire-fighting system.
Last edited by Exnihiloest the 17 / 03 / 21, 22: 55, 4 edited once.
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 17/03/21, 22:38

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:
Exnihiloest wrote:... capitalism is cool, you just have to know how to approach it. It is not me that he exploits, it is me who exploits it!

Yes that's cool, and the proof is that there aren't many here, even among the anti-capitalists, who have chosen something other than Google, a GAFA, as their free search engine, so that there are alternatives.
I am therefore not the only one who knows how to approach capitalism, but I am among the few who admit to taking advantage of it on occasion.
It amuses me these people who spit in the soup or these donkeys who denigrate the rack where we see them eating shamelessly. But hey, this is nothing new, pies have been around at least since Molière.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/03/21, 11:00

Some basic tips ...

RESILIENCE OF YOUR SAFEGUARDS

THE QUESTIONS YOU SHOULD ASK YOURSELF YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES AND THOSE OF THE HOSTER THE SOLUTIONS TO FILL THE GAPS

What is a local, remote and a PRA backup?

A local backup is simply a copy of your data made on the same platform. This backup allows rapid restoration in the event of false manipulation.

A remote backup is a copy of your data placed on a remote server in the production data center. The advantage is that the backup can be restored in the event of destruction of the production site.

A PRA (Business Recovery Plan):

In the case of a local or remote backup, the data is recoverable but cannot be used immediately. Within the framework of a PRA, the data but also the means of exploiting them are quickly operational. Your servers can start at a secondary site with almost identical data to production. On average, we see a restart of the servers between 5 and 30 minutes after the disaster.

Everyone's responsibilities

Shared hosting

As part of a shared hosting, you entrust Nuxit with the hardware and software administration of the infrastructure. This also includes backing up data in the event of destruction of the production site.

On the other hand, in the event of mishandling or targeted hacking of your site, it is your responsibility to have a working copy. Our hosting offers offer an optional backup service.

Talk to one of our advisors.

Dedicated hosting

As part of dedicated hosting, Nuxit provides the hardware, but not the software. The customer can be autonomous or call on our outsourcing services.

Talk to one of our advisors.

Good practices

Nothing worse than realizing that there is no backup at the last moment. Automating a backup does not guarantee its reliability. Regular verification is required at the subscriber level.

Having a backup is useless if you don't know how to restore it. Planning a procedure and performing it regularly will allow you to be efficient and responsive on the day of a major incident.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/03/21, 11:01

Exnihiloest wrote:Yes. Very old Free subscription dating from its beginnings as an ISP, it had free offers.

Yes I knew this offer ... it seems to me that it was 100 MB at the time!

So I do not see how you manage to have 1000 times more!

So we can see the 2 sites in question?
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 19/03/21, 21:00

Christophe wrote:
Exnihiloest wrote:Yes. Very old Free subscription dating from its beginnings as an ISP, it had free offers.

Yes I knew this offer ... it seems to me that it was 100 MB at the time!

So I do not see how you manage to have 1000 times more!

So we can see the 2 sites in question?

I told you. They don't bother having two rules, the same applies whether the site is free or paid. The capacity of paid sites has increased steadily, transparently for customers, at no additional cost, and therefore on my free offer as well. It was 100MB that I had at the beginning. 10GB allowed I believe today, or they went to 100 without warning because I have at least that.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/03/21, 18:03

It still prûlé again at Ovéhache Hopla! (with the Alsatian accent ...)

0 x