Overconsumption of fluorescent tubes on ignition

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Overconsumption of fluorescent tubes on ignition

by elephant » 15/09/09, 12:31

Many people claim, probably rightly so, that fluorescent tubes should not be turned on / off too much ("neons" as some say, TLs as others say) because the peak power consumption on ignition reduces l economy to nil.

Does anyone have an idea of ​​the value of this peak consumption or should I resign myself to making the measurement to possibly twist the neck to a legend?

(yes, I know it increases wear and tear, but that's another question)
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/09/09, 13:31

Subject already mentioned.

It is not because they are very wrong, that they are right as Coluche said!

A) For fluorescent tubes I don't know I never measured but for fluorescent bulbs this is one more myth according to my measurements: there is no overconsumption when starting up on compact fluorescent bulbs!

On the contrary: consumption gradually increases with light intensity, for example, a 14W bulb will therefore only consume 14W when it is hot and will consume 11 to 13W (cold), it varies depending on the model ...

I presume that it is exactly the same thing with fluorescent tubes (the technology being the same "compacted") ... I have a small TL9 I believe with a plug, I will test! (It doesn't prevent you from doing some tests on your elephant side).

Those who claim that 1 ignition = 15 minutes of consumption (read on this forum) are idiot péroquets which would be better to open a book of electricity section dimensioning of the electric wires (because if it was the case, the intensity of starting would blow everything up) or else to make measurements of consumption by themselves .

B) This has nothing to do with the premature wear that some luminaires can present with too repetitive ON / OFF ...which it can really break the economic advantage of a fluorescent bulb.

A fluorescent bulb is better not to cut it than to cut it 30 seconds ... and this even for fluorescent bulbs "insensitive" to ON / OFF ingenium type
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 15/09/09, 15:01

I will do the measurement one of these days. The other day a fool had reproached me for turning off the light in my office for the midday break (a Belgian break: 30 ').

It will take an hour but finally, I want to have my heart clear.
I plan to take a PM230 type counter and stop for 5 minutes, walk for 5 minutes for an hour
Theoretical consumption should be measured hourly consumption / 2.
We will see what it consumes more.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/09/09, 22:56

'is it minutes or seconds? : Cheesy:

For your test you could use a time relay (I have one I can do the test if you don't have one).

What do you want to plug into? What power?

Because PM et cie have a precision "only" of 0.01 kWh or 10 W for one hour.

To see if there is overconsumption, we would therefore need at least a power of say 50W.

2 neon lights of 36W ca would not be bad ...

Now an animal clamp meter would do the job more easily right?

But I already know the answer ... : Lol:
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 16/09/09, 13:54

I will do the test with a 2 X 36 watt device. I am wary of measuring a peak of intensity with an ammeter. I also suspect that it consumes what we want to believe.
0 x
delnoram

by delnoram » 18/09/09, 23:08

elephant wrote:I will do the test with a 2 X 36 watt device. I am wary of measuring a peak of intensity with an ammeter. I also suspect that it consumes what we want to believe.

I tried the peak intensity measurement: 0.49A is the highest I could have and this, for an 18W tube (measured 28W at 230V with my wattmeter : Evil: )

Considering that this tube gives 1100 Lumens and that the incandescent equivalent is 75W.

Que 0.5A x 230V x 0.97 (cosphi), which gives us 112W
112W / 1 second (actually less than that) = 112/3600 =0.031w per hour.

75W (incandescent) - 28W (tube) = 47w

47W / 0.031 = 1516 3600 seconds / 1516 = 2.4 seconds.

Even by doubling this number it would be enough for 5 seconds to light the tube for it to become economical.

But hey, I must have messed up my reasoning somewhere :|
0 x
"Thinking should not it be taught in school rather than to make learning by heart the facts that are not all proven?"
"It's not because they are likely to be wrong they are right!" (Coluche)
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/09/09, 23:16

Really?

How did you highlight these 0.49 A?

It would not be a cos phi (again him) who crazy his brothel by chance?

I remain suspicious ... but I would be tempted to take measurements.

But with galvanometric! Mistrust multimeters for this kind of measurement!

Problem: I don't : Cheesy:

Otherwise I have 2 oscilloscopes ... (I just got a real one from the nice neighbor)
0 x
delnoram

by delnoram » 18/09/09, 23:18

I don't have calva no master either :D
0 x
"Thinking should not it be taught in school rather than to make learning by heart the facts that are not all proven?"

delnoram

by delnoram » 18/09/09, 23:22

Christophe wrote: Really?

How did you highlight these 0.49 A?

Digital ammeters, I wanted the biggest tip possible

But even impossible to nullify the savings
0 x

Christophe

by Christophe » 18/09/09, 23:23

Should be able to measure the intensity with an oscilloscope and like that I could make a screenshot!

Putting an AC power resistor should be easy right?
Problem: it will create a (small) drop in voltage!

Any idea of ​​the value to take?
0 x