Oldapps, download older versions of software

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

Oldapps, download older versions of software

by Christophe » 23/09/09, 21:56

Here is an interesting site which archives all the "known" software and which makes it possible to find all the versions and old versions, often much lighter and just as powerful for a good number of software.

One only has to observe the evolution of the size of acrobat reader to be convinced of the heaviness of the last generations: http://www.oldapps.com/adobe_reader.php

Good do not even take the previous versions to 2000 because they might not work ... some old versions are also vulnerable (avoid too old version where there is a login / pass) ... but for example , acrobat reader ... it's useless to install 30 Mo ...
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 23/09/09, 22:36

... especially when you can install foxit reader that goes much faster :D

I use DRAW 4.0 from 1995. Every time I change my bike is a bit of a hassle to put it back, but I ask the help of XP and it goes alone. Of course, I never made an attempt with Vista.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/09/09, 22:52

Ah, I see we are on the same wavelength :D

Yes the alternative freeware or Open Source is even better but in some cases it does not exist ...

We have a subject about open source solutions: https://www.econologie.com/forums/les-logici ... t2373.html

ps: do not try to go under vista ... : Mrgreen: I regret my transition from 2000 to Xp a year ago! : Shock: : Cheesy: : Cry:
0 x
renaud67
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by renaud67 » 24/09/09, 09:53

if you're under vista, go to seven is really worth it (but as for the cost it's something else): it's faster ...
0 x
The absurdities of yesterday are the truths of today and tomorrow banalities.
(Alessandro Marandotti)
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/09/09, 12:25

7? Like SevenUp? Another stew of krosoft?

We zapped vista (imposed) to put k-ubuntu!
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 24/09/09, 13:02

Ditto for me, often Freeware or older versions are less heavy for PC memory, CPU usage and hard drive.
Personal for drawing I have an old 1996 Paint Shop Pro that works great.
This avoids changing the memory module. Especially that we often find ourselves with old barrettes that are useless and often go to the trash : Evil:
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 24/09/09, 13:17

Christophe wrote:
ps: do not try to go under vista ... : Mrgreen: I regret my transition from 2000 to Xp a year ago! : Shock: : Cheesy: : Cry:

On the contrary, at Christmas 2008, I have voluntarily looked for a laptop 100 or 200 euros more expensive to have XP, especially because I have expensive professional software designed for XP.

Let's stay honest: XP works fine.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
renaud67
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by renaud67 » 24/09/09, 14:54

It is simply when the frame e my work I have a post under microsoft and I went under seven and it is a lot miuex that vista in terms of perf is all that I wanted to report.
0 x
The absurdities of yesterday are the truths of today and tomorrow banalities.

(Alessandro Marandotti)
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 24/09/09, 15:01

Another site for old software version:

http://www.oldversion.com/ : Cheesy:
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
sam17
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by sam17 » 24/09/09, 16:00

Software is my job. If, at first sight, this idea seems to be very good, it poses a problem. It's about security!

Indeed, the software evolves for three reasons: The addition of functionalities, the correction of bugs and the correction of security weaknesses.

It is this last point that is critical.

For example, acrobat reader has in its old versions security vulnerabilities to take remote control of your pc and simply by visiting a site made by a person malintentionée or a site of good times infected.

Also, it is more towards free software that must be trouner (when possible) because there applications are kept up to date.

In case it is not possible, you better understand what is happening on your machine or it will become a relay to spam or otherwise.
0 x
--
Patience is a tree whose root is bitter, and whose fruits are very sweet.

Back to "Electricity, electronics and computers: Hi-tech, Internet, DIY, lighting, materials, and new"