My little unpretentious temperature datalogger

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

My little unpretentious temperature datalogger

by Forhorse » 26/03/11, 17:19

Hello everybody

I am currently working on a project which involves the regular recording of data on a memory card. Since I never did that, I had to do various tests. One of these tests involves recording a temperature, just to get my hands on it and validate the concept.

Maybe it might interest someone. I present the thing to you "as is", it is a prototype, the software must be far from being free of bugs, but it is functional.
The principle is simple: record the temperature measured once per second using a DS18B20 digital probe

The recording is done on a 32MB to 2GB SDcard (currently tested with a 1GB) formatted in FAT16 in the form of a .CSV file that can be directly opened with Excel or similar spreadsheet.
Registration takes around 2.5MB per day and is limited only by the capacity of the card used.
The editing does not manage the time or the date, it just counts the time by setting off its power, displays it in the form of HH: MM: SS and drops to 0 every 24 hours

The use is very simple.
We feed it with a 5V DC source and recording starts immediately (as long as an SDcard is present)
An LED indicates the recording in progress.
You can stop or resume recording with a button.
Do not remove the card or cut off the power while the LED is on, otherwise you will end up with a corrupt file.
The file is saved once a minute.

If it interests people, I would give more details. In the meantime I just give you the diagram and the .hex file to download from the µC PIC

https://www.econologie.info/share/partag ... ottVeU.mp3
NB: The MP3 file must be renamed to .ZIP, it is an archive containing the .HEX file
0 x
kumkat
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by kumkat » 28/03/11, 10:12

I don't know anything about electronics, but I like the idea.
3 small remarks to advance the idea ...
I find it a shame to deprive oneself of a "real" clock or even DCF ideally ...
the measurements every sec seem to me too close, measuring every minute would give a lighter file ...
a power supply via rechargeable batteries and not via transformer would be at the top in my opinion

how much do you think the fab cost of the gadget is?
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 28/03/11, 13:17

It's true, but as I said, this is only the intermediate stage of a larger project (and which is not intended to record a temperature)
Here it was mainly to test the recording function for a long time, and to have something to record, I put a temperature probe.
I thought to myself that it could perhaps interest someone.

Now it is sure that to make a "real" datalogger you would have to push the concept a little further (which I will do but for something else)
There it is deliberately simple and reduced ... "quick and dirty" as the English speakers say : Cheesy:

If it interests the world, I could perfect the thing a little. I also tell myself that by finding the right sensor, I could modify it to make a recording anemometer, just to be able to do wind studies for a wind turbine.
In short, the applications are numerous.

For the manufacturing cost, I admit that I have no idea! and it depends anyway on the supplier and the type of component that we use.
If I base myself on an average of the prices generally noted:

The µC PIC costs around 6 €
Temperature sensor 7 €
SD card support 5 €
3.3V regulator 1.5 €
Various components say 4 €
Printed circuit (compulsory because of SDcard support) 8 €
9 € LCD display (this is an option, the assembly works very well without)

that does it all for less than 45 €
0 x
kumkat
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by kumkat » 28/03/11, 13:44

but why didn't I work my electronics in high school, why ?!
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 28/03/11, 15:40

At this level it is closer to IT than pure electronics : Mrgreen:
Most of the work is done by the software in the microcontroller, all the hardware part is almost only a copy / paste of application notes of the components concerned.
0 x
kumkat
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by kumkat » 28/03/11, 16:07

even like that you have to know the electronic "language" otherwise it's still Chinese ...
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 28/03/11, 16:21

It exists all for not more expensive and much less brain fatigue, in addition on USB port (for laptop).

Otherwise very useful for easily performing functions not found in commerce as regulations, control, twisted measures, especially perfect and adapt them freely, etc ...
Pic sells test modules on USB or other ports and all that remains is to program.

Otherwise it is useful for Forhorse to give all the references of the means used, PIC programmer card, PIC number used illegible on the gif diagram, software, simple, or complex !! etc ....
This is to help those concerned not to get lost in the gigantic maquis of application notes and models of pic.com and to quickly have a mini functional system with clear benchmarks and little intellectual investment.
http://www.microchip.com/
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcpl ... m=en534463

http://www.pic.com/cms/France/294.html
0 x
kumkat
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by kumkat » 28/03/11, 16:23

LOL I really like the pic.com link ... bin my pig!
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 28/03/11, 16:50

These real junk food, are very dangerous in excess, participating in the obesity epidemic, (without omega 3 and lots of additives) and as dangerous as nuclear, heart cancer, etc .. !!
0 x
kumkat
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by kumkat » 28/03/11, 16:54

loosen teeth a little delco you will end up having a heart attack ...
0 x