My instal audiophile, Hi Fi, vintage

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 02/07/12, 19:42

The pair of Kappa 9 cost me the same price as one of Sherkanner's Adam S3X-V!

And Tannoy 500 € the pair, all used ... Just because there are some who are entirely unaware of the true value of this material are too bulky, too old, too ... too kitch etc. ....

And that is good to do the little guys like us right? : Mrgreen:
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 02/07/12, 20:10

Obamot Hi!

Sorry but the SL-1200 is absolutely not deemed HiFi but instead had the benefit of disk-jockey in the world!

When I say Platinum Hi-Fi I speak of Delphi Oracle, Linn Sondek, Dynavector etc ...
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 02/07/12, 20:46

Obamot said:

The pair of Kappa 9 cost me the same price as one of Sherkanner's Adam S3X-V!

And Tannoy 500 € the pair, all used ... Just because there are some who are entirely unaware of the true value of this material are too bulky, too old, too ... too kitch etc. ....

Sometimes enough to be patient: I put 2 years to find my HRC DK4, I even contacted the former engineer and daughter of the builder.

For the rest, I quite agree: PL51 and SL1200 is beautiful vintage, but it does not even equal a Thorens with a SME 3009.

The only thing that counts for me is the pleasure of owning these memories of my old job and talking about it with my friends. (and use it, pcq it's still very good)

I also have a Revox A-700 (2 19-38 tracks cm / s) but it is so worn that it must clean the heads every half hour : Cry:
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 02/07/12, 21:09

You are both right, love the beautiful stuff, it is not discussed ... ( : Cheesy: )

We did not have a radio Studer (except the mixer left at a cheap price by the TSR on local radios) otherwise the PR-99 was perfect!

By cons in pure performance and actual ... Alain G, I'm sorry but you did not read.

: Mrgreen: Finally, this is not my problem.

Alain G wrote: the SL-1200 is absolutely not considered Hi-Fi but rather had the favor of the disk-jockey of this world!

And then, as long as the features were better (especially for comparative listening ... I'm sure you've never tried it, because otherwise you would know) I did it, and I can you that the difference was certainly not this deck, which is in all irreproachable, but the RIAA preamp (or pre-pre, and moving coil for those who still believe it ...) and of course the selecting cells based on pressings and the type of music. Elephant either did not compare a Technics Thorens by spending the entire day ... By changing the cables, pre-amps RIAA (with torque homemade alim, or at Graham Slee ...) http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 02/07/12, 21:42

... Or also not!

Besides, I would report that its Pioneer PL51 is direct drive! Hey hee ...

Certainly Thorens were very good and reputable but definitely overtaken by Technics. All that friends, it was also a little legends ...

That's one of the best pre-amp RIAA (and other standards) I know:

characterstics
Input range: 2mV to 10mV
Output (for input range): 252mV to 1,260mV (1.26V)
Maximum input: 39mV rms
Maximum output: 4.914V rms
Gain: 42dB (126) at 1kHz
Input impedance: 47k Ohms plus 100pf
Output (driving / source) impedance: Ohm 1.2k
Recommended load impedance: Ohm 10k or Greater
Noise at output: CCIR -65dB Q-pk
Distortion: 0.02%
EQ curve accuracy: <0.5dB
Channel balance: 0.2dB
Channel separation: 64dB
Size: W (approx.): H x 107: 50 x D: 180 (mm) inc. jacks

EQ curves supported:
http://www.phonostagepreamp.com/78rpm-r ... zation.htm

A real working tool for all those who make vinyl acquisition to scan and archive them for posterity ... Or for the remastering CD in compliance or not with the red book ...

This English has definitely captured all of there was to know in the field!

Plus it's really a nice guy, which does not spoil anything. He had collaborated to mount the sutdio from England. His advice we had to avoid many troubles!

I advise skeptics to try the "Communicator"

http://www.phonostagepreamp.com/gram-am ... preamp.htm
Last edited by Obamot the 02 / 07 / 12, 22: 09, 1 edited once.
0 x
plasmanu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by plasmanu » 02/07/12, 21:59

I have a Peavey 500w from a Korg M1.
The entries are in mono. But with 2 inputs can create the stereo.
Ideal with the iphone and derivatives.
It would wake a dead 1km. : Mrgreen:
In the evening we could become deaf.

This is an inexpensive solution to send very big sound.
0 x
"Not to see Evil, not to hear Evil, not to speak Evil" 3 little monkeys Mizaru
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 02/07/12, 23:27

Obamot said:

Certainly Thorens were very good and reputable but definitely overtaken by Technics

Sorry, when you amplify a little on a big cabinet with a big 30 cm (or more) we easily heard the difference!

And also when we wanted to make a lot of noise in a small room.

By cons, for disco use ....

And I had the auditorium in 2 ...
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 03/07/12, 05:02

Sorry Obamot but the only great feature of the SL-1200 is its reliability, its speed of reversion and the ability to stop the deck without burning the engine!

The reason why it has survived so long in the disco used by DJs!
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.

Criticism is good if added to some compliments.

Alain
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 03/07/12, 09:17

You still have no other argument than this, dear Alain G.

elephant wrote:Obamot said:

Certainly Thorens were very good and reputable but definitely overtaken by Technics

Sorry, when a little louder on a large baffle with a big 30 cm (or more) we could easily hear the difference!

And also when we wanted to make a lot of noise in a small room.

And I had the auditorium in 2 ...

Low? Impossible, that is where they excel! But obviously if you put your decks IN auditorium ... In the studio, the decks are not in the same room as the speakers, the B_a ... BA!

Yes, this song I often heard ... I have tested dozens of decks, past the Rega ... I would go with my turntable equipped cables to € 150 meter, GSPaudio my preamp, my cells, my record greenhouse and other shocks of the hull (obviously demo, you can not build a studio on site ....) and my measuring instruments for test drives and of course my reference discs. The guys were scared to see me coming and every time I headed disappointed in what I heard! (And they try to explain, to find an excuse ... Cow! : Mrgreen: )

Comparing turntables is a kind of job! The Thorens (like some others) had very good qualities, which were puffed up by other faults. With less than a few expensive turntables, all the other alleged "audiophiles"And almost as expensive were relegated one after the other ...
In addition, we should agree on the term "audiophile"If after an hour of testing, you are still unsure as to which is the best - and under what circumstances - between a platinum 5'000.- to 10'000.- roros, it is that the rise with Technics EMS arm is not that bad ... : Lol:

I remember that at the time they were found less than € 500, so if you talk about decks "audiophileHow much do they cost, and are they capable of such ad minimum performance:

Turntables "audiophile" or not "audiophile"? What defines it?

The Technics offers as standard:

- an inaudible snoring value of 98 dB unweightedHe must still say shit! What platinum in the world goes that far, "audiophile" or not? (78 weighted dB, it's huge, one must add the background noise threshold ... 20 dB, in the end they have CD players performance in relation sn / b)

- A wow and flutter equally inaudible: from 0,01 98% at dBA any platinum in the world happens to that? "Audiophile" or not I aware of any.

- the most consistent rotational precision known (compared to any stage manufactured to date). By the frequency generator controlled by quartz and therefore inaudible variation and absolute precision, the same used for mastering machines that burn vinyls => impossible to do "better").

- this direct drive motor (brushless) controlled by quartz, which also guarantees zero drift in the speed of rotation with unsurpassable precision and efficiency (if you were able to "read" a residual drift with any other platinum all over the world, you would have managed to exceed the tolerance level of engraving with Neumann machines ... but that would be inaudible to the human ear). Of course, the same cannot be said of the other decks "audiophiles"Who often hang out with an accumulation of various defects, which are amplified in one after the other ...

- Bearing tonearm, polished to an accuracy of ± 0,5 microns, have a very low friction coefficient of 0,007 3 grams mounted on non-resonant turntables (and if that's not enough, you can always change the arm , if you like ...)

- the new arm of the MKV, moreover a lateral static damping of the tonearm, to which we can add a damping of the reasoning, by bathing the drift in a fluid => which cancels any parasitic vibration coming from the reading itself (or whatever). This is possible on any board "audiophile"The moment that can change the arm (and to such an SME) which is the case of Technics.

- Unlike most of belt drive systems, it is completely free from the drag of both static and dynamic effect, caused by the diamond rubbing against the vinyl groove walls. This defect most decks "audiophiles"Entry-suffer to varying degrees (unless they have a marble top, moreover very elegant ...).

- Powerful bass and clear sound through cables "audiophiles"Copper strands without oxygen (OFC Oxygen Free High Grade Coil) in length (and therefore resistance / impedance) perfectly calculated and cut factory for good measure. And, the connection of the cell to the gold-plated RCA jacks.

- she is "customizable"If we want to go even further than the original performance.

Honestly guys, you might have to revise your judgment on these turntables, or you need strong arguments and explanations - other than saying "it's for DJs", there are still many other reasons why they are excellent, this one for example:

Is this the same characteristic point of view, although it is given to "audiophile"?

No, it is poorer in rumble, pouisqu'elle fact -60dB
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 03/07/12, 10:08

... Only the SP-MKIII 10 was given a bit better in specs, except that if you read carefully, we appercevait maxing it also always 98 dBA (only the value of dB weighted changed, but there is can say a little about what you want ...)

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sp10.shtml
http://www.sp-10mkii.com/

So with the acquisition of SP-1210 MKV, you now actually all of a SP-10 MKIII - except the tray 10 Kg - but the SL-1210 are less bulky, and have the strob the cursor speed variation and more useful to restore the correct tone of the original recording, and bypass the studio artifact that was to lower the actual speed mastering so that listeners get tired much faster to a title - in relation to the actual speed at which it was played - and easily detectable in tune to the ears ... and warned of the decks "audiophiles»Who offer this on the fly, you know a lot? ....).

No need to rack their brains to restore an SP-10 MkI and MkII ... Except for the beauty of the gesture.

Elephant: you can ride quite EMS 3009 arm on a Technics MKV (or other arms for that matter).
0 x