My instal audiophile, Hi Fi, vintage

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/07/12, 13:01

Not even afraid !!!
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 02/07/12, 14:11

Christopher said:

And noise pollution for your neighbors who do not necessarily share your musical tastes? Huh huh?

It's quite the opposite .... when my daughter does a classical guitar concert or archiluth at home, it's me who invites the neighbor, history that we do not hear his TV! : Mrgreen:

Well, we start

The 51 PL1974 Pioneer, one of the first 2 Direct Drive models of the brand:

From the bottom to the top:

A DUAL CV 1462 "pseudo class A" 2 X 70 W from the 80s, paid 40 euros on e-bay : Mrgreen:

A versatile player JVC (to read the engraved CD's)

A "tweaked" Philips 723 CD

Yamaha tuner

and my pride, rare HRC DK4

they have a story:

In 1979, I went to the sound festival in Paris with a mission "to see if there wasn't a small French brand to import", Elipson and Cabasse being much too expensive.

At HRC, it was love at first sight. I speak with people, nobody imported in Belgium, I said to them: "OK, I send you my boss tomorrow". When I got home in the evening, I called Jean Lou and I told him: "Don't get tired: go straight to HRC!". The next evening, he returned with exclusivity for Belgium.
The guy who went to get the HP with a truck was so stupid, he didn't want to wait at the border and we had to sell the first truck "in black"

The DK4 were the high end of the brand of the time. I could not have paid for it: 2 months of salary.

I went to get these in Normandy and I got them very cheap because it was missing one of the 2 filters, which I redid.
The tweeters were slammed, but luckily I was the only person in the world to have this stock!

These loudspeakers had been greeted with enthusiasm at the time by the Review of Sound

Not very powerful, (50 Watts RMS), 89 dB / W, but more than enough for my living room ... and my neighbors.

The midrange and the tweeter are made of silk, the magnetic circuit is bathed in "ferrofluid"

One of the few speakers where you understand what sing opera singers!

I also have a pair of DK-2 in my cellar.

HRC closed between 1982 and 1984
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
sherkanner
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by sherkanner » 02/07/12, 14:32

Here, I'll ignite the subject, with the same eternal debate ^^

I listened to HI-FI speakers, then monitors.
For the same price as the full chain pre-amp, amp, speaker, I find myself with monitor speakers and sound card that have an incomparable sound quality.
Now, with the monitors, the sound is neutral, very neutral, and that's exactly what I was looking for, I did not want to have the colorations that we have with the speakers HI-FI. My field of listening forbids me. Now, this neutrality can be seen as lack of expression. But one thing is sure, the bad recordings will no longer be listened to so much the flaws are easy to perceive.

Certainly, the color tube amplifiers make the magic jazz, but it does not pass, but then not at all on metal, or so it becomes heavy and imprecise on the classic.

I invested in Adam S3X-V, and I regret not at all. Jazz, classical, metal, variety, even in home theater, everything goes very well without major defects (the bass lack a bit of seating for the HC, but the percussive is there).
I listen mostly to symphonic metal and it's a treat. It's metal, so big drums, guitar riffs, and it's symphonic because, violin, cello, heart, and soprano voice. I needed 3 channels to restore all that correctly.

And the big advantage is that all the details are present whatever the level of listening, which I did not find on Hi-Fi speakers that I tried, as soon as I lowered the sound, the details disappeared from a knock. Interressant to listen to low volume in the evening.

So it's on, it's not at all WAF compatible, it's ugly like everything, but it's the best value for money I found, for what I was looking for. It will not suit everyone, but I think it's worth the detour.

Listening to 3m is possible, it is mid-field, and it filled very well a living room of 30m² (see more)
They are biblios, but they all have a great ^ ^
It costs 2 € the speaker, and as it takes two, it rises quickly

S3XV
Active monitor 3 bass reflex channels
Woofer (s): 1
- Frame diameter: 228 mm / 9 "
- Voice coil diameter: 50 mm / 2 "
- Cone Materials: HexaCone
Medium motor: 1 - Frame diameter: 116 mm / 4,5 "
- Voice coil diameter: 25 mm / 1 "
- Cone Materials: HexaCone
Tweeter X-ART: 1
- Diaphragm surface: 24,2 cm² / 3,5 "
- Equivalent dome diameter: 5,6 cm / 2,2 "
- Air acceleration report: 4: 1
- Weight of the diaphragm: 0,17 g
Integrated Amplifiers *: 3
- Bass amplification (1 / 2) *: 250 watts / 350 watts
- Amplification of the medium (1 / 2) *: 250 watts / 350 watts
- Amplification of the treble (1 / 2) *: 50 watts / 100 watts
Control panel :
- Coarse adjustment of the input sensitivity: From -20 to + 8 dB (in 4 dB increments)
- Precise adjustment of the input sensitivity: From -1,5 to + 2 dB (in 0,5 dB steps)
- Setting the 80 Hz filter: From -0 to + 6 dB (in 1 dB steps)
- Shelf filter adjustment> 6 kHz: ± 4 dB (in steps of 1 dB)
- Shelf filter setting <150 Hz: ± 4 dB (in 1 dB steps)
- Tweeter level adjustment: ± 2 dB (in 0,5 dB steps)
Main Features :
- Frequency response (± 3 dB): 32 Hz - 50 kHz
- THD (total harmonic distortion)> 80 Hz: 0,6%
- Maximum sound pressure: 114 dB
- Peak peak pressure: 124 dB
- Frequencies of filter cutoff: 350 / 2800 Hz
- Analog audio inputs: XLR
- Digital audio inputs (optional): AES / EBU (XLR) + SPDIF (RCA)
- Input impedance: 10 kohms
- Weight: 15,4 kg / 34 lbs.
- Magnetic shielding: Optional
- Height x width x depth: 485 x 281 x 295 mm (19,4 "x 11,2" x 11,8 ")

* 1 = continuous power IEC 265-8-Wrms / 10 min.
* 2 = nominal power IEC 265-8 = peak power 5 μsec.
0 x
When we work, we must always give 100%: 12% on Monday; 25% Tuesday; 32% Wednesday; 23% on Thursday; and 8% on Friday
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 02/07/12, 16:34

The important thing that our equipment we like to us ... : Cheesy:

Yes it's a good solution, I use a Lynx TWO sound card (the same as we had at the studio ...)

Before that, we "believed" that we had good stuff. As soon as we got it, at first we did not understand what was happening to us ... ( : Mrgreen: Then we could finally test the rest of the audio material on that basis (it was kind of sports...)

And I must say that the Tannoy have never failed (with their dual concentric driver). Probably the only system in the world to have a perfect phase alignment, because it is "physical" the tweeter being exactly centered inside the low medium:

I think we can not go further in perfection. Because what matters is that the harmonic distortion of the bass does not migrate towards the acute ...:

Distortion of Tannoy at low power
1% 3.23 V__2nd Harmonic__3rd Harmonic
250 Hz ____ 0.70% ________ 0.17%
1 kHz_____ 0.08% ________ 0.26%
10 kHz ____ 0.41% ________ 0.10%

Distortion of Tannoy at 10% of maximum power
10% PW___2nd Harmonic__ 3rd Harmonic
250 Hz ____ 2.85% ________ 0.52%
1 kHz_____ 0.56% ________ 0.31%
10 kHz ____ 1.24% ________ 0.15%

We can see how surprising it is that it drops as soon as the harmonic 3e: stupefying!

And I can assure you that we can absolutely listen to everything. They do not flinch. This is WYRIWYG audio (to paraphrase Apple: What You Reproduce, Is What You Get)

Moreover, we see in the column presented by Elephant, the decoupled allignment of the HP in order to respect at best the phase (which is always a compromise if the tweeter is not in the center of the bass-medium)

The Lynx TWO audio card is probably the "Rolls" of amha sound cards:
* 200kHz sample rate / 100kHz analog bandwidth (Supported with all drivers)
* + 4dBu or -10dBV line levels selectable per channel peer
* 24-bit AES3 or S / PDIF I / O with full status and subcode support
* Up to 8 LynxTWOs can be installed in one Windows computer; up to three in Macintosh computers
* Sample rate conversion on digital input
* Non-digital audio I / O support for Dolby Digital® and HDCD
* 32-channel / 32-digital bit mixer with 16 sub outputs
* Multiple dither algorithms per channel
* SMPTE time code reader and generator with MTC conversion
* Composite video genlock
* Word, 256 Word, 13.5MHz or 27MHz clock sync
* Extremely low-jitter tunable sample clock generator
* Dedicated clock frequency diagnostic hardware
* Multiple-board audio data routing and sync
* Two LStream ™ ports support up to 16 additional I / O channels
* Compatible with standard LStream modules for ADAT and AES / EBU
* Zero-wait state, 16-channel, scatter-gather DMA engine
* RoHS compliant
* Optional LStream Expansion Modules: LS-ADAT and LS-AES
* Interfaces with Aurora Converters via LynxTWO / Aurora Interface Kit
* Ships with audio and sync breakout cables, SPDIF adapter cables, CD ROM with manual, all drivers and sample software

http://www.lynxstudio.com/product_detail.asp?i=12
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 02/07/12, 16:44

elephant wrote:The 51 PL1974 Pioneer, one of the first 2 Direct Drive models of the brand:

Probably unmatched to date with the Technics SL-12xx (and other direct drive under license).

All the other audiophile turntables fold in front of those amha ...

A small preference for the anti-vibration shell and the arm of the Technics:

inspired by the SME arm, but it's surgical : Cheesy: : Mrgreen:

The more tastings replaced the original arm with a real EMS, but was it really so useful?
0 x
sherkanner
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by sherkanner » 02/07/12, 17:14

The lynx two is off budget.
I settled for a RME Audio Hammerfall DSP HDSP
0 x
When we work, we must always give 100%: 12% on Monday; 25% Tuesday; 32% Wednesday; 23% on Thursday; and 8% on Friday
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 02/07/12, 17:20

Oh yes, RME is also the ball ... 8)

But what matters most is the quality of the cables ...
And separate them from each other (especially sector cables ... modem ... ethernet ...)

Finally every detail counts ... : Lol:
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 02/07/12, 18:28

The Pionner and Technics are not audiophle turntables !!
: Shock:

Well, I'm loose!

I'm using old, slightly updated, Standard Reference Professional Professional Mark IV speakers with my frequency generator and my decibel meter.
http://www.imf-electronics.com/Home/imf ... akers/rspm

My Adcom amp is a GFA-535II hyper modified 6 output transistors instead of 4, 4 6 condo addition 800 uf and 4 75 mallory 000 uf of 70 volts, nearly eliminated feedback loop able to worked under 1 ohms it sounds like a tube.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/2271226_f1024.jpg

The preamp is the GTP-500II also modified on the power supply running on 80 volts supply (anyway).

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/adcom/imag ... 0-1600.jpg

Platinum laser also modified but did not survive the music of my daughter and needs to be repaired.

http://vintage-audio-laser.com/liste_da ... cd575.html

The speaker wires are also very $$$> $ 730 cnd

Currently this Adcom system is not functional because I am reorganizing my audio-video furniture to receive the home theater 7.1 8 speaker and all this system already that the PC is connected to all this in addition to satellite, cable, antenna terrestrial, X-Box and Wii.

: Cheesy:
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 02/07/12, 19:13

: Cheesy: The Technics SL-1200 not 'audiophiles"? Sorry to tell you, but YES they are.

Matsushita had put his best engineers and spent millions to develop the original core of this platinum in the late seventies.

Maybe you do not know, but many of your favorite discs have been burned using a mastering machine based on the same engine [called Technics SP-02]

Since 2002, all new (MKV) already have audiophile cables as standard, and the rest follows. (The old ones can be upgraded)

Here's why (read all this and we'll talk about it again ...):

The direct drive system:
http://kabusa.com/1200agon.htm

The arm:
http://kabusa.com/1200agon3.htm

The customization:
http://kabusa.com/1200agon4.htm

Myths about the Technics SL-12xx
http://kabusa.com/myth12.htm

Resources, press:
http://kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/1200rvw1.htm

They are audiophiles and pros to the tips of their nails. Point bar.
Last edited by Obamot the 02 / 07 / 12, 19: 35, 1 edited once.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 02/07/12, 19:34

Obamot said:

the Tannoy have never failed us (with their dual concentric driver). Probably the only system in the world to have a perfect phase alignment, because it is "physical" the tweeter being exactly centered inside the low medium:

We hope ... at the price that it costs! Cabasse has also released a model ..... strictly unpayable!

I also have in my cellar (I use it for very special applications of sound) a pair of DALI Appolito layout, ie a two voice where the medium tweter is located exactly between the two medium woofer. The stereo image is very satisfactory. Chic and cheap!
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be