File bigger than 2 GB on FAT32 hard disk?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/05/10, 11:38

chatelot16 wrote:It's not just with the old thing that we waste time: I bought a new laptop with Vista, which I couldn't stand, nothing worked properly ... it was a real pain to find the right driver to put XP

Same for the purchase: unusable pc (it's shameful to offer such config) ... but instead of struggling on Xp you could have, like us, try to put ubuntu, it turns nickel chrome yet it is a "big" brand laptop (fuji siemens) known to be the worst in terms of drivers ...

I had made a big subject at the time: https://www.econologie.com/forums/j-installe ... t6568.html
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 13/05/10, 12:00

of course I put unbuntu there without problem

but I need windows xp to be compatible with the other machines where I work

I also sometimes need autocad which only runs on windows

for my personal use qcad is good enough, but the huge autocad files are always full of stupid traps which crash qcad ...

the next one I just bought is in windows7: apparently it can be used without changing anything
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 13/05/10, 12:46

chatelot16 wrote:I keep all the old stuff in working order because I think that with simplified version of linux it can still be used for a long time

It's not just with the old thing that we waste time: I bought a new laptop with Vista, which I couldn't stand, nothing worked properly ... it was a real pain to find the right driver to put XP

With a simplified version of Linux you can hardly do anything these days ... and a high-performance version requires exactly the same configuration as Vista / win7 ...
At the start of Win Vista, supposedly "compatible" machines were sold, but which in fact were not at all: not enough memory (you need 2GB to use it correctly), single-core processor ( you need a minimum double core to have perfs compatible with current applications), graphics card unable to display the 3D desktop, the whole gives a shitty machine that is lagging ...
But with a dual core processor even if not a lightning war, 2GB of ram and a good CG, Vista works ~ as well as Win 7, I experienced it with the following configuration: A64 4400X2 processor, CG Ati X800XL, 2GB of ram, everything runs wonderfully and was able to run recent games very well ...
The only thing I disabled under Vista is file indexing, useless for my use, otherwise nothing ...
When it comes to bad sector problems, in 15 years of computing I have NEVER had a bad sector on any of my hard drives (apart from a new defective original one that was replaced immediately), maybe because I only chose quality HDDs on my "home assembly and config" machines, my current disk being a Western digital Raptor 74GB, the raptor / velociraptor being professional range disks derived from SCSI, expensive, a little noisy, but indestructible ...
As for windows crashes, sometimes it is about hardware problems (I have seen several cases): poor quality memory coming in # 1 ...
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 13/05/10, 14:16

Hi Christopher!

I don't know if you tried this:

Adopt NTFS format for hard drives
Exceed 4 GB per file limit imposed by FAT32 formatting

Vincent Lheur, Micro Hebdo (n ° 256), 03/04/2003 at 15:00 p.m.

If you haven't formatted your hard drive (or partition) as NTFS, there is still time to do so. The main advantage of switching to NTFS is that it does not limit the size of the files, unlike the FAT32 format, which limits it to a maximum of 4 GB. The advantage is undeniable, especially for video editing enthusiasts.

To convert a partition, open a command window by successively clicking on Start, Programs, Accessories and selecting the Command Prompt option. In the window, type convert followed by the letter of the drive to convert, followed by / fs: ntfs, the whole separated by spaces (symbolized here by *).

For example, to convert drive C, type convert * c: * / fs: ntfs and then press Enter. Type the name of it to confirm that this is the disc to convert. The name is indicated in the workstation or in the explorer.

Validate the name by pressing the Enter key on the keyboard. Answer the following questions twice with Yes and restart. When the disk to be converted is not the C: disk, the conversion takes place automatically after confirming the name of the disk, without further questions or restarting.

Place the correct letter of the hard drive in place of the C:

:D
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
coucou789456
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by coucou789456 » 13/05/10, 15:13

Hello

it was a real hassle to find the right driver to put XP there

for drivers not found, try everest which, by analyzing all the peripherals, will give you the information necessary for the installation.

another solution also consists in installing XP first and then installing UBUNTU, a new version. a start-up menu offers you to choose between the 2

jeff
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 13/05/10, 15:27

the ati radeon graphics card was correctly identified, but the driver downloaded for did not work: google found me the answer: emachine and acer put in his computers personalized graphics cards just for him: the normal driver does not work: google found me a site where there is a program capable of modifying the standard ati radeon driver to adapt to emachine and acer

this kind of weirdness is lamentable, I would like to have the explanation

is this a deliberate will of em .... the world, or is it simply a design error of the motherboard which was compensated by a modification of the driver?

I have described this story on another forum , I will find it and put a link here

http://forums.futura-sciences.com/logic ... nes-2.html
http://www.pcinpact.com/actu/news/36048 ... modder.htm
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/modtool.php

of course it is completely irrelevant here, but it is all simply to say that often there are some who say that it is impossible (or worse forbidden) and that by looking a little we find ...

I forgive the anerie that was told to me on Futura, since at the end there was the right address!
Last edited by chatelot16 the 13 / 05 / 10, 15: 58, 2 edited once.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 13/05/10, 15:36

additional info:
no more backtracking possible on an old computer
http://www.infoprat.net/astuces/windows ... ur_002.php
Choice between NTFS, FAT and FAT32

There are three file systems to choose from for disk partitions on a computer running Windows 2000 / XP: NTFS, FAT, and FAT32. Use the information below to compare these file systems.

NTFS is the recommended file system for the following reasons:

* NTFS is more powerful than FAT or FAT32 and provides the functionality required to host Active Directory, as well as other important security features. Only the NTFS file system allows you to use features like Active Directory and domain-based security.

* Converting partitions to NTFS is a simple operation. The installer makes the conversion simple whether your partitions use FAT, FAT32, or the older version of NTFS. Unlike formatting a partition, this type of conversion does not damage your files. If you do not want to keep your files intact and you have a FAT or FAT32 partition, it is advised to format your partition using NTFS, rather than converting it from FAT or FAT32. Formatting a partition erases all data on that partition and allows you to boot with a clean drive.

NTFS is the best choice for file system whether a partition is formatted with NTFS or converted using the convert command.

* To maintain access control over files and folders and to support limited accounts, you must use NTFS. If you are using FAT32, all users will have access to all files on your hard drive, regardless of their account type (administrator, limited or standard.)
NTFS is the file system that works best with a large disk. (The other file system that works best with a large disk is FAT32.)

However, there is a case where it is better to choose a FAT or FAT32 file system. If your computer is to run sometimes an earlier version of Windows, sometimes Windows 2000 / XP, the primary (boot) partition of the hard disk must be FAT or FAT32. Older versions of Windows cannot access a partition that uses the latest version of NTFS. The two exceptions are Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 4 or later. Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack version 4 or later has access to partitions using the latest version of NTFS, but with some restrictions: Windows NT 4.0 cannot access files stored using NTFS features that did not exist when Windows NT 4.0 has been released.

If you don't have multiple operating systems, it's always best to use the NTFS file system.
Once a drive or partition has been converted to NTFS, you cannot simply convert it back to FAT or FAT32. You need to reformat the drive or partition, which will erase all data including programs and personal files from the partition.

The following table describes the compatibility of each file system with different operating systems.

See as well :
http://www.commentcamarche.net/forum/af ... 32-sous-xp
http://www.commentcamarche.net/forum/af ... sous-fat32
http://www.sosordi.net/Depannage/178252 ... ichier-fat
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 13/05/10, 15:42

chatelot16 wrote:the ati radeon graphics card was correctly identified, but the driver downloaded for did not work: google found me the answer: emachine and acer put in his computers personalized graphics cards just for him: the normal driver does not work: this kind of weirdness is lamentable, I would like to have the explanation

Budget graphics cards often use old graphics chips, which are not taken into account by linux ATI drivers: this is the case with radeon 7000 series cards ...
0 x
coucou789456
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by coucou789456 » 13/05/10, 19:51

Hello again

......... Formatting a partition erases all data on that partition and allows you to boot with a clean drive ........

obviously this is what can be seen but the reality is quite different, in fact generally only the first byte which points to the first position of the file in the FAT of the file allocation table is marked as being erased. but the real content is still there, moreover with a program of the style easyrecovery virtually all files that were present on the hard drive before formatting are recoverable even if you have to change partitions or even erase partitions.
several more or less laborious methods exist to really remove everything. one of the solutions is to use jkdefrag, free! on the dedicated site http://www.jkdefrag.fr/ .

one of the program's commands is "wash", after this operation you are sure that all your old data is no longer there, except perhaps in some cases the name of the file or part of it, but nothing more .

this operation is necessary if you have sensitive data and need to separate yourself from your computer or simply from the hard drive.

an additional feature of NTFS is that it can store a very large number of files, for example photos, in the same directory.

jeff
0 x
coucou789456
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by coucou789456 » 14/05/10, 10:38

Hello

chatelot16 wrote:this kind of weirdness is lamentable, I would like to have the explanation

is this a deliberate will of em .... the world, or is it simply a design error of the motherboard which was compensated by a modification of the driver?

even if this message goes well beyond the framework of the subject, I see perhaps an explanation which I will call low philosophy.
possible that there is behind the scenes an arrangement between crosoft and ati or other hardware manufacturer to deliberately make "new" products incompatible with old versions of windose, to force the use of the famous new windose products such vistacaca for example or as in its milleniumcaca time.

being a computer expert, I can see it clearly with a lot of client players on their computer, they keep their XP, or even make or configure their new machines themselves in XP, and very often not machines at 300 or 400 € but closer to 1000 just for the CPU with hellish graphics cards.

jeff
0 x